Barchester

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
ceedee

Postby ceedee » Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:44 pm

This is the first open day for the Barchester Railway Preservation Society. Photo taken early in the morning before the crowds arrived.

Number 400

Postby Number 400 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:47 pm

Excellent work ceedee.

My bestest friend in the whole world Honeywell told me to check out your thread and I'm glad he did... :wink:

Raider

Postby Raider » Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:49 pm

Good to see the steam engines are having an outing - looks like they are having a meeting - lol

ceedee

Postby ceedee » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:06 pm

It's a sad fact but posing on the tracks is the only thing they are any good for. I had them in storage in a cellar in the UK some 16 years ago and the cellar flooded. This went unnoticed for several days and by then it was too late. The boxes they were in were just put to one side and by the time I got to them, some years later, the damage had been done. The plastic bodies have cleaned up amazingly well but the mechanisms are well and truly shot. Hence the new diesels at Barchester.
I don't want this fact spreading around because I have done my street cred a lot of good by generously donating all the locos to the Barchester Railway Preservation Society and because they have no drivers we have had to drag the locos into the positions you see. They will get dragged back again when the show is over so I should be ok. Get it. :lol: :lol:

TerryB
Location: Loftbrough Central [aka ....a spider infested loft in Rotherham]

Postby TerryB » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:39 pm

Hi ceedee......excelent photo ......if 'n don' mind me sayin'.
TerryB
I know it's the fastest .....but why did they have to name it after a duck?

mikem

Postby mikem » Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:40 am

More.....more!!
Will I ever open all these red and yellow boxes?

Michael

Postby Michael » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:32 pm

mikem wrote:More.....more!!

There are more photos on his website.

I've put it in my favourites.

ceedee

Barchester's operating cards problem

Postby ceedee » Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:05 pm

Hadn't realised the effect it would have on the operational side of Barchester when I introduced the new Class 66 and the Class 170/2 DMU.
They replaced two doddering old locos, one that served the main line and the other the branch line. Train makeup listings were now wrong, as were regulator settings and stopping distances, so the whole sequence had to be gone through, all 130 cards, to ensure that the right train arrived at the right spot at the right speed. What a todo. Anyway, I think it is all sorted now and tomorrow morning should see Barchester start the day in fine form with it's new locomotives strutting their stuff to and from their correct destinations.
Fortunately none of these events affect the timetable at the moment.

dr5euss

Postby dr5euss » Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:09 pm

Last edited by dr5euss on Sun May 22, 2016 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ceedee

Postby ceedee » Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:29 pm

Critisise all you like George because if nobody does then how do we know when we have things wrong, that's the way we learn, and it shows that you are interested.
Barchester has a high density passenger traffic shedule, much higher than would be normal for a town of this size but there are exceptional circumstances, as the Barchester Chronicles will reveal, when I finish them. Anyway, a third of it's operational movements control the shunting of complete trains between arrival and departure platforms as well as on to 'holding' roads. There are 10 different passenger trains, main line and branch, in service at all times and it is like a juggling act to keep all this flowing smoothly, hence the need for operating cards. Also keep in mind how long all this takes. Backing a rake of coaches through a whole series of points at walking speed not only takes time but is a joy to behold.
To get to your point, if you want to see trains whizzing round in all directions then yes I suppose Barchester is boring but for me Barchester is a living thing with it's own peculiar history and operational methods.

Michael

Postby Michael » Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:30 pm

dr5euss wrote:I don't want to sound critical, ceedee, as you have a great layout, but does it not get boring just doing the same schedle day in day out? I only ask as i'm considering thins 'waybill' thing.

A model railway is supposed to emulate a prototype railway, thus if you do it to the highest standard (As ceedee has), you'll be operating the model like the real thing. If you think that's boring, surely you're not a railway enthusiast, but more of an enthusiast of trains themselves.

dr5euss

Postby dr5euss » Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:44 pm

Last edited by dr5euss on Sun May 22, 2016 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phat Controller

Postby Phat Controller » Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:55 pm

I'm afraid I'm NOT into schedules etc. I find them rather 'sterile' (for want of a better word). I like to run trains 'loosely' and for the fun of it - sorry to all the 'regimented' people out there but I dont see the need on my layout - its too small.

Main reason I say this is that I went to a Model Rail Club (many moons ago!) and the members ended up having a 'heated' debate about proper 'schedules' that nearly came to blows!!

NOT a good first 'date' for me (never went back!)

I find that this sort of 'regimented' modelling takes the 'fun' out of the whole HOBBY and to me it IS a hobby!

I have not quams with other modellers having 'schedules' - it's just not for me!

Which is why I probably wont - and havent - been asked to go to any exhibitions! :lol:
research = asking a bloke who knows a bloke who said something vaguely similar to what I wanted to hear! - Tony (aka the Phat Controller)

Raider

Postby Raider » Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:58 pm

Thats what is so great about this hobby - no 2 layouts are the same and even if they were they could be 'played with' in totally different ways. Horses for courses really

ceedee

Postby ceedee » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:31 pm

This shows how Barchester found the room for it's town. The first photo sees the platform layout before the final shaping took place. It is 6 feet from the wall at the far end to the end of the 5 foot platforms. That gave me 12" at the far end for Barchester town, which was plenty, but only a tapering 6" to 3" down the five feet of the platform length. More width was needed without moving the platforms.

The town fathers decided therefor that Barchester would go into the high rise business so that 4" width was lifted 4" by adding a rock face for the whole 6 feet length as shown in the next two pictures, one facing up the layout and the other down.

The next job was to widen the town and it's approach by a further 4" as shown in the next two pictures, same orientation.

In the above photo you can see now that Barchester's platform 1, up against the rock face, now has a 2 foot bay platform next to it with platforms 3, 4 and 5 next to that, although you can't see those in that shot.
Finally here we have an overview of the platform area with the town extensions in place. If you look carefully through the windows of the footbridge you can see the front of the Ditton Heath auto-trailer in the bay platform.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”