My New Attic Layout !

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Spavo

Postby Spavo » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:27 pm

There's some really nice touches there with the trackside cabinets and the ground signals, very nice indeed....

May I just say though that you might like to lose that power clip in the picture, as you have the wires there already it would be a fairly simple task to lose the clip and just solder the wires to the track.

Hope you don't think I'm being critical as your layout looks very good indeed.

Gav.
Watford FC For Me Since 1976

DrStroganoff

Postby DrStroganoff » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:34 pm

thanks for the feedback everyone! I feel inspired to go have a few hours at it now. hehe.

Gav, yes I totally agree. I have thought of losing the power clip... Its just that I havent soldered since school, and I'm not really confident at doing it... I will get a mate to do it at some point. :)

class56

Postby class56 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:43 pm

what i would do is get a scrap piece of track and then try soldering on the piece of track then you will get better at it

DrStroganoff

Some new photos!

Postby DrStroganoff » Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:16 pm

Well I've just come down from the loft. Got one of the Noch road kits, planning out where thats going and put a few new trees in. And running in my new Western!

heres a few piccies:

1 - View of the main board (minus fiddle yard)

2 - Western + DMU at the station

3 - Had a go at weathering - Yes? No?

4 - Planning where the pub is going

5 - My old Lima class 40. Best runner I've ever encountered.

6 - The 2 Westerns. Weathered Lima, and new Heljan. I used some parts left over from the Heljan to detail the Lima one a bit on the buffer beams.

I been weathering with powders... and I'm worried that I'm gonna end up destroying everything. I'm weathering everything in my path at the moment.... including the dining table. :oops:

DrStroganoff

Some new photos

Postby DrStroganoff » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:12 pm

1 - APT arriving at the station

2 - Hymek & APT

3 - APT on the bend

4 - HST in the sidings

DrStroganoff

Postby DrStroganoff » Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:33 pm

Hate to keep bumping my thread... :wink: but I've just been up to take a few photos. So here they are...

1 - The market bit

2 - The sidings

3 - Class 40 + Deltic

4 - Hymek + DMU

5 - And again

I went to the model shop this morning and they had a new range of scenic items by a company called Busch... Packs of daffodils and tulips and road markings etc... very interesting range, reasonably priced too. So I bought a few bits.... You have to build the daffodils, they are the most fiddly things !! And I've got 60 of them to do ! :) Think I'll get the missus to help...

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:38 pm

hi
nice pics, tis all starting to come to life
i've used some of the busch scenics, they are well priced and as good as i could expect, have used foam scatter stuff and their static grass
michael

DrStroganoff

Some new pics

Postby DrStroganoff » Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:41 pm

Bought some of the Hornby railroad rolling stock today, great value for money eh? The crane has a nicer finish than when Lima released it, it looks less toy-like.

1 - new building - superquick hotel

2 - View down the street...

3 - the crane

4 -

5 - The sunflowers... A real potch to make... and then I realised I hadnt painted the middle of the flowers brown like it said on the packet... So they are a bit green

I've come to the conclusion I have too many locos and stock to fit on the layout. They are overflowing out of the fiddle yard now. time to re-evaluate which ones are needed I think... I've got my eye on a triang Grey/blue pullman train next... so somethings gotta go to make way....

DrStroganoff

Postby DrStroganoff » Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:47 pm

:idea: :idea: :idea:

The time has come for a gruelling re-appraisal of the whole layout... And I've decided its poorly designed. I rushed into it a bit having not had a layout for years and years, and didnt put a lot of thought into it.

Now after seeing all your awesome layouts, and building the new N gauge one with the missus, Im feeling ready to take on a mammoth project. And I want to run scale length HST's :roll:

So tonight I'm drawing up a track plan, and next weekend I'm gonna take a saw to the baseboards and come up with something else. Hopefuly utilizing more of the loft space.. Hopefully something about 10ft long ! We'll see.....

:idea:

davek

Postby davek » Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:03 pm

Looking good Dr S.
What did you use for your ballast? Is it Gaugemaster underlay?

DrStroganoff

Postby DrStroganoff » Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:06 pm

well spotted, yes its the gaugemaster stuff. i think the ground around it needs ballasting still, so it isnt so neat.. but it raises the track up nice, i quite like it !! :-)

davek

Postby davek » Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:59 pm

After my recent troubles with ballasting and points I have been interested in alternatives, thanks for the confirmation and it does look good.

DrStroganoff

Postby DrStroganoff » Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:44 am

They dont seem to make pieces of ballasted underlay for points tho, you have to fashion them yourself... which isnt too hard. Expect to pay £10 a roll tho. I used about 1 1/2 rolls on my double oval + sidings, just to give an idea.

davek

Postby davek » Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:48 am

Cheers! I'll keep it in mind.

Bryan Gundry

Postby Bryan Gundry » Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:49 am

I assume that if you are going to run scale length HST's you are you planning on going over to N gauge for the new layout as well?

In which case if in the next 6 months you decide that some of your buildings and accessories are surplus to requirements let me know.

Bryan

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”