The Childhood Dream

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
smitstr

The Childhood Dream

Postby smitstr » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:40 pm

Hi Guys,
I have just started building my first layout, and wanted to know what you thought about it and my plans for it! I am going to incorporate the hornby operating tipper and operating converyer!
I have thought about the gradient, power, trackfitting, and what loco im using for it(the class 08 in the photos) and want to know if i have missed anything out in my planning. Also im in my last year at school and wanted to see if there was anybody else my age into this hobby?

My proposed layout:

red="Operating components" Grey="Raised section" Black="Track"

Progress so far:

Does anybody know any good looking loco sheds that would complement my loco?

Cheers,
Peter

Ironduke

Postby Ironduke » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:15 pm

so far so good :^) but how do you stop everything from sliding off the end?

I believe that Metcalfe make a nice engine shed
Regards
Rob

zebedeee scott

Postby zebedeee scott » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:39 pm

Hi I assume that you are in year 11, i am also in my last year at burgate

Well hi then I built my first railway in year 7
here is a link to my lates model
http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... php?t=9791

Don’t tack any affiance to this but,
Personally I would build something with more complicated track work because you may get board quickly

zebedee

Danny

Postby Danny » Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:56 pm

Hi Peter, nice plan there, seems you have thought about most things.

Have you thought of a purpose of the conveyour yet, I mean like is it going to be for stone at a quarry, coal at a colliery or whatever suitsyou at the time of running?

Hope to see how you get on with things.

Danny.

smitstr

Postby smitstr » Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:26 pm

Hi again,

Cheers for the engine shed ill check that out!

I thought about it getting boring quickly but then i realised that after just running my trains in a loop for a few years anything would be interesting, Also i wanted to give it to one of my nephews when they're old enough to be able to use it with care(not for a few years yet :D). Its mainly just to give me a chance to try out different ways of creating different things on a set i.e. elctric points, gradients, scenery, the operating sets before i make a monster, modular layout.

I decided on coal for the conveyer and am thinking about purchasing a twin class 08 loco so i can have twice the fun or somthing like that :D

Peter

Taw Valley

Postby Taw Valley » Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:53 pm

sounds like you've worked everything out :D

although when you say twin 08 class do you mean a class 13?

smitstr

Postby smitstr » Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:26 pm

I mean a Matching class 08 sorry for the confusion!
Also thinking about dcc and making it modular with a track exiting through a tunnel. Ill update later with revised plan :?

smitstr

Postby smitstr » Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:35 pm

Sooo, the story continues,
A model show,3 trips to the model shop, countless googling and a few weeks on:

Not Very exciting, i Know but just waiting for all the track to arrive!
So far ive laid all the loop apart from one of the curves as i need to measure the hold for the point motors before i pin down the turnouts and of course played LOADS with the operating conveyer and tipper sets. Not the most realistic accessories but definatly worth the playability.

at the model show there was the dynamis stand and between what they demonstrated and my bro's Hornby DCC has convinced me to Buy the dynamis with a Bachmann class 20 with sound(hmmmm dounuts!).

Ive replanned the area inside the loop to give me siding and allow me to expand the layout in the future!
Revised plan:

soory about the quality of some of the pic in a rush!

Any suggestions welcome!
Peter

joshs

Postby joshs » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:16 pm

looks good i am in year 11 at the minuite as well 8) and as you i had a circular layout for a while and found it boring so have started a new shunting layout look forward to seeing progress on your layout.

cheers josh

smitstr

Postby smitstr » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:41 am

Hi again,
Have you got any pics of your shunting ground?

2 more additions to layout recently,

1- Last of the track arrived yesterday
2- Have decided on the shape of the baseboard for the next section of track(18 in x 141 in)

Ill try and upload some pics tonight if not tomorrow of the track in situe and the just have to cut holes for the point motors and pin it all down.

Peter

m.levin

Postby m.levin » Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:05 pm

Welcome Peter

Great stuff for a first layout. I like those coal tipping buildings but no place on my layout, which is a bummer. I'm looking forward to updates on your layout. Keep it up :wink:

smitstr

Postby smitstr » Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:52 pm

Cheers m.levin

ok....

Just got one more flexi-track corner to snap into place it was not being very nice the other day so i may have to buy a new piece of flexi-track due to an unfortunate accident to it, but besides from that all i have to do (Not counting scenary and the like) is to put the point motors into place and pin down the rest of the track!

But, after hovering my laout, here's what ive got my track as:

Plus a snapshot of my locos so far:
(Bear in mid the hair and sawdust on the little red steam has been cleaned :? )

My love-child:

My love Child Shunting:

Everybody's got one:

Squeeky

Thats all for now folks!

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:49 am

smitstr wrote:Image

Your layout's coming along nicely. A very succinct plan - and I like the tipper and conveyer belt - I've not seen that before.

I had a couple of thoughts... looking at the top right corner of your layout pic, where the track disappears under the upper level - I was wondering whether it would be worth moving those points nearer the points where the yellow crane is ? This would give a longer siding top right - so you can shunt longer goods trains in and out.

Also top right - the same spot - it sort of looks as if the trains will be shunting in and out of a tunnel ? I'm not sure whether that's very realistic. Maybe a rail bridge instead of a tunnel for the upper track to pass over the lower track will be better and more visual ?

Anyway, just a thought - the visual is a bit rough, but it gives you an idea of what I'm talking about.

smitstr

Postby smitstr » Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:19 pm

Southern boy - Im using it as seperate scene on a modular layout, eventually the sidings will be for storing shunters after a hards day's work acting as a HQ for 08s. So the tunnel will mean that the trains leave the scene go through a backscene before emerging through the other end in a much larger mainline layout.
For a minute you had me tempted to settle it as your design allowing me to start a completly new modular after this, but i need to start from somwhere and ill eventually return, after circling the room, to rip it out and find a new use for at some point.

I've spent my day putting in point motors, solder this and solder that, and looking for decoders. Anybody know of a 5 point decoder?

Peter

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:46 pm

Fair enough - and it all sounds like a good plan. I can't help with decoders I'm afraid, I'm a DC man, DCC is like a foreign language to me !

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”