Bogside In N Gauge For Fun Running

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Spavo

Bogside In N Gauge For Fun Running

Postby Spavo » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:55 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm back, did you miss me.......???? No!! Oh well.

So I was really fed up after my N Gauge adventure layout wasn't much fun to play with......it looked great thanks to all the help I got on here but it was like well............tricky....

Running the trains was hard as the gradients meant that the wagons and coaches kept uncoupling on the slopes with devastating results.....

I could never just let a train run as it would crawl up one side of the layout and then fly down the other with devastating results....

My track laying was rubbish so there were inevitable consequences.....

The sidings were poorly thought out and were pretty much useless as I had to keep shunting onto the main line....

However I had a ton of fun doing it and learnt a lot so I took it all to pieces and rescued pretty much everything I could, right down to the scatter!

Bogside is a kind of long running layout with a double linked loop courtesy of a x-over on one of the corners so I get a nice long run......

It has 2 passing loops to store other trains, 6 coaches long or 20 wagons, nice and long......

I have a good sized yard, only 4 sidings but long and also a long storage siding rotting away in the middle, I also built in a direct line from the main line all the way around and straight into the yard which also serves as the headshunt, it's nifty and makes for fun operating.....

My idea was that it would be some type of transfer terminal just off a main line somewhere where wagons would go to be switched over to other services, I mean you know me, never was much good at the detail....certainly didn't really want to go with a station...that'll be for the 3rd layout a year from now when I have more experience with this fiddly sized stuff!

Stock is mostly blue diesel but a couple of kettles have crept in simply to run Sunday Specials.........a 9F on a rake of southern coaches...(Yes I know!) and a nice Ivatt 2MT on a short rake of LMS......

There is a disused Butlins Camping Bunglaw Site in the middle, works are going on but it's been closed a long time.......

Big long tunnel at one end and a short high one at the other just to keep the interest up when running, you just can't beat seeing trains going into and out of tunnels....

I have done this on a very strict budget, no fancy underlay just foam, no fancy ballast just scatter and reused pretty much everything I could lay my hands on....

There are a zillion things to do and I am in no rush....

1. Get the track looking more realistic, especially the track bed at the sides.

2. Fit backs to the tunnels so you can't see inside.

3. Much more realistic colouring around the rocks and the camping village....

4. Erm loads of other stuff!

Anyhow enough of all the bull, here are the pics, enjoy, don't criticsize too hard as I say, I have hardly started really but I really wanted to get something down just so I could run some trains........

Here is an overall view from the North End Tunnels, it looks a bit green but not in real life so is probably my crap camera!

North End Tunnels entrance with guys arsing about supposed to be working....

A couple of views of Bogside Holiday Camplet....closed in 1978

The top of North End

The Southern Tunnel

From the top of North End

Main Transfer Yard

Class 33 on the back run

Centre storage siding for the excursion stock

Tim's house.....

Tim's house opposite Michael's bungalow and Lofty's summer retreat!

Western waiting for the go

Yep, Derek is still trainspotting....all the way from the other layout!

Oooooh, Minitrix 9F with working headlamps! (How insane is that!)

And the Ivatt....

Class 25

So yes I know that's way too many photo's sorry, I wont be doing many updates, perhaps one every couple of weeks just to show that I am not leaving it bright green with no ballast!

I have got a bit of a vid to post later of the 9F pulling the 6 Southern coaches, warts and all, no editing, I'll whack it on if only to hear the delicious sound as it passes the camera....

Cheers guys,

Gav The Spav.
Watford FC For Me Since 1976

dr5euss

Postby dr5euss » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:09 pm

Great job Gav, what a nice layout :D I like the tunnel shot, that's very good indeed :D

PeterH

Postby PeterH » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:36 pm

Vey good standard of modelling there; well done!
"Gentlemen, pray silence for the President of the Royal Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things."; 'Make Tea, not Love.'
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:42 pm

Here's that video clip, no music, nothing thrilling, just the clip.....

Cheers,

Gav.

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:48 pm

hey, that sprang out of no where!
sounds like the old layout was a pain,
probably let down by a lame trackplan to start with, it would appear, i dunno, whoever did that needs a talking to

but then now.... you have this, great stuff... when did you start...last week!
i only hope those neighbours get on ok! ;-)

michael

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:56 am

Hi Gav

Strewth, i wish you'd warned me. i've got the f***ing council on my back now demanding backdated Council Tax for a second property that I didn't even know I had. Still, on the bright side, party at my house tomorrow night, OK? Lofty, can you bring over the gramophone and Michael, can you arrange the cannopese? And we'll see if we can lure Derek in from the cold with a few Scotches ;)

Cheers mate, looks lovely...and by 'eck, that 9F is reet proper gorgeous :D

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:11 am

Hey michael,

That old track plan was brilliant! It was me who fekkled it up but adding the sidings and you weren't to know I was going to be a lame engine driver!

Sorry about the old council tax bill tim, lucky I didn't base it in Camarthen though or you would have had the old Welsh Nationlists round setting fire to your roof!

If you check the video you can just make out you and Mike on the roof hammering away at something or other.

It's all just a bit of fun, I have obviously got to bring the layout to life with people, places, animals etc but it's just a nice slow run now, to do that took me about 2 months just bit by bit.....

Good luck for the footy later...

Gav.

Lofty

Postby Lofty » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:03 am

Wow :shock: :shock: :shock:

You have been a busy little beaver Gav

Very nice 8)

Lofty

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:31 am

Thanks Lofty,

the inspiration all came from you....

I thought, hmmmmm, old layout, not liking it that much, rip it up and start again!

Now if I just had your modelling skills I'd be there!

Cheers mate,

Gav.

Lee

Postby Lee » Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:06 am

Hi

Well outstanding work you done there, the greenery complimented with the rocks is amazing. :wink:

Lee
My N Gauge Layout.

Sunshine In The Lakes <<<<< Old layout no more

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=44159 <<<<< Back to the Lakes (New Layout 2013)

Danny

Postby Danny » Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:40 pm

Wow, you kept that one quiet. I don't really know what to say, it looks awesome :wink:.

Danny.

westbrom

Postby westbrom » Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:58 pm

Hi Gav

Very nice pics and vid and what a great looking layout.

Neil

British Rail

Postby British Rail » Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:26 pm

Corr Gav it's great to have you back! What a treat! Your modelling skills are just fantastic! What a lovely feast of pictures, my personal favourite picture just has to be the last one of the Rat!

Rhys

Lofty

Postby Lofty » Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:30 pm

Just found time to watch the video…

Where was the woman :?: :cry: :wink:

Lofty

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:08 am

Yeah sorry Lofty,

Real cop out there, I tell you what, I'll make a special effort this week to do a proper video and have the usual woman at the end....nice of you to remember!

Thanks for all the super positive feedback guys, especially as we all know there is quite a lot to do here to get it looking better, especially the track but now with a nice mini hoover and some decent ballast we should be rocking....

I appreciate your kind thoughts....

Video later in the week then, then it's just nice easy hour segments of work to improve the realism and then a weekly update I would say...

Cheers again,

Gav.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”