Complete starter, follow my progress

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Zanziba

Postby Zanziba » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:26 pm

Yes but it is USB only so wont reach in the loft! (Laptop??? - OK, maybe)

Alternative would be my camera on my phone but not sure how to transfer them (Motorola Rokr)

Anyway, I'll try and do something.

Just spent £7 on 2 trees, more bushes and some dry stone walls... can't wait to get it all done and photo'd

Zanziba

Postby Zanziba » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:01 pm

Camera working again, here is my latest little section:

Chuffer Chuff

Postby Chuffer Chuff » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:57 pm

Hooray your camera's working again and its a good job to!

Excellent photo's well done! :D You've made some great scenery and its looking quite realistic!

I love that wall, how did you make it?

I'm guessing thats a Pannier tank in the shed and a J72 in the siding? :wink:

What make are those crimson and cream coaches in the station?

Excellent work, keep it up!
"You only get one chance in life, so make the most of it!"

Zanziba

Postby Zanziba » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:34 pm

The walls were bought £2.85 for 4 feet; quite nice, flexible black fabric stuff with bits stuck on.

Your eyes are excellent, that is a Pannier, Bachmann that I got for £15 "new" after a gentleman died. The J72 is one of a pair that I got also £15 each. I think that one is the mainline one, the other is Bachmann also.

The coaches I believe (without venturing into the loft to see) are old Hornby/Triang blood and custards. I have 3 that I got off Ebay as my station can only accommodate 3 plus an engine. They look nice but their plastic wheels don't run great and do cause engines to struggle a little. I am considering re-wheeling them with metal ones but with 4 to a coach that's going to cost a bit and I am not convinced that buying new wouldn't be better (when you also offset the eBay price they'd fetch).

I want to put some cars on my layout or lorries, anyone got any ideas without paying silly money for models? That mini is not to scale but doesn't look bad? I've had that since I can remember, so 30 years or so!

Chuffer Chuff

Postby Chuffer Chuff » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:57 pm

I thought the carriages were as they have the funny coloring on the interior (blue/grey). I noticed that on them in the 3rd and 4th picture if you look carefully!

I have the same Hornby/Triang coaches in blood and custard livery and the plastic wheels are awful I know. They do cause engines to struggle even on a level surface, let alone an incline! They create an enormous amount of friction and drag and so they have all been replaced (well just about) with bachmann metal coach wheels and there is a significant improvement!

I have 4 in Blood and custard, 6 in BR maroon and 5 in blue and grey. If you build a rake of plastic wheeled ones and then the same with metal ones. You can really tell the difference! The metal wheeled ones are way better and as they run easier, my loco's can pull more of them.

I have had my Bachmann A1 hauling 9!

I'd recommend getting some of these Bachmann metal coach wheels:

http://ehattons.com/StockDetail.aspx?SID=6992

It is expensive but well worth it as there is a great improvement in my opinion!

One thing that does annoy me however about the Bachmann coach wheels is that they come in packs of 20 (2 on each axle - 10 sets). Which means that you can wheel 2 and a half coaches! (4 sets per coach). Why can't they do them in packs of 8 sets or 12 sets (you could do your three coaches with 1 pack then!). Its all a con to make you buy more otherwise you have an odd number and a coach with half plastic and half metal wheels!

Keep up the good work!
Last edited by Chuffer Chuff on Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You only get one chance in life, so make the most of it!"

boyofbears

Postby boyofbears » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:58 pm

did you make the shed yourself?
my imaginery friend thinks u have problems.......wait........
my layout viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17368 new!!!

Zanziba

Postby Zanziba » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:04 pm

The shed was free when I went to collect a load off stuff from someone off eBay, it was so badly built that I have covered it in trees to hide the gaping whole in the roof where it meets the wall.

One vent is missing and a window but I quite like the ramshackle appearance!

Blaqkaudio009

Postby Blaqkaudio009 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:25 pm

is that a bolt turbine on the front of the mini?

iankemp

Postby iankemp » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:26 pm

well i must say that with all the vegitation you have put on it, it looks like it has been stood there for years and it looks very good as well!!!!

Zanziba

Postby Zanziba » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:31 pm

The mini has some engine part sticking out of the top of the bonnet, whoever owns it is obviously a bit of a petrol head!

Zanziba

Postby Zanziba » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:08 pm

Well, the 100 trees have arrived (Thank you TerryB), and also the Green body for my 04 class shunter (locoworks is a star!) which I have fitted so the only real anomaly is sorted out on the layout.

Done some more painting and scatter on the mountain, the brown is going to be forest...

colelynch

Excellent work

Postby colelynch » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:51 pm

Well done.keep the pics coming 8)
Cole

my layout in the making
http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=11811

Postby 80064 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:08 pm

Looking good!

matticus88

Postby matticus88 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:02 am

Hi Zanziba, any more updates recently? its been quite a while. everything is looking good so far.

Zanziba

Postby Zanziba » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:33 pm

With one thing and another I have had no time to do ANYTHING for ages but it was my birthday on Monday so got my Class 37 in BR green. Runs as sweet as a charm! Love Hornby! Keen eyes will spot the matching A4 Mallard in BR green in the background and it all matches the Class4 I now have. Also running some BR Black and an LMS Queen Victoria.

I apologise for the large file size and resolution. I'll try and find my copy of Paintshop later and resize them (System formatted a month ago, not installed yet).

Also stuck all my trees on the hillside/quarries and added some walkers. Lower quarry is finished but upper quarry still needs ballast but the points are giving me problems so thinking of pulling up the track and relaying brand new stuff so stalling on that atm.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”