Complete starter, follow my progress

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Zanziba

Postby Zanziba » Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:18 pm

Class 60: Cut n paste from google photo's and then photoshop to size, glued onto card.

:)

Class 60

Postby Class 60 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:24 pm

Kit built then :wink:
Never thought about that, but surely if you enlarge it you will lose the pixels and the clearaity of the image? i.e. some bits will look "fuzzy" in a way.

Anyway great stuff

Adam

Zanziba

Postby Zanziba » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:41 pm

I suppose it depends on the original.. if you download something that is 2000+ pixels across and stretch it, it will still look fine when only 18cm printed out. Would be a different story if you print A3 I guess?

Zanziba

Postby Zanziba » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:25 pm

Done a bit more painting, cliffs in grey, main coat before detailing. Also fitted, most unsuccessfully, the tunnel mouths. Had to cut them square as my tunnels are so low to give clearance to carriages, but hey ho. They'll look fine once the surroundings are painted, detailed and grass/bushes are applied (in other words when they are no visible!)

Two pictures for you, one giving an impression of the size of the layout up to the mountain and a close up of the mountain from the same angle.

matticus88

Postby matticus88 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:06 pm

thats looking good, how are you going to add more character to the rocky areas of the mountain as just having it gray looks a bit unnatural to me.

i'm asking this mostly becuase i'll be painting my cliffs soon and i need to steal ideas from somebody :lol: :lol: :wink:

Zanziba

Postby Zanziba » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:26 pm

I am going to do several layers (I paint, see my website here) and will do as follows:

1) Water down black and wash everything (get it in cracks)
2) Mix a dark grey and add details
3) Make a light grey and add some highlighting and bedding planes/cleavage planes.
4) Add bits of brown n green (v. small) to ledges, gullies n holes.
5) Trees, bushes, crushed rock in quarry, people, loading eqpt etc)

Zanziba

Postby Zanziba » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:25 pm

Just saying that I am still alive! Paternal duties are taking their toll at the moment so unfortunately no progress done but only 2 weeks until the holiday season again.

My mum just gave me £30 to buy my x-mas prezzie with so I went and bought 5 Hornby open wagons from the shop, just got to give them to her to wrap!

Anyway, I'll keep you posted when something interesting occurs!

Zanziba

Update

Postby Zanziba » Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:41 pm

Sorry for doing nothing and posting nothing but my youngest (only 1 year old) has been quite poorly for a few weeks and I just seem to be busy with the family at the moment! I'm sure you all know how it is at this time of year.

Anyway, Santa brought me a total of 8 open wagons (all Hornby and only one for some reason trips on points). I also got a 2nd hand twin track Gaugemaster with AC output for accessories, Mmmm, shall I get some point motors? I am going to replace two of my Hornby ones with it and see what the difference, if any, there is.

I popped to our local shop today and bought 2 points, 3 yards of track, some ballast and some bushes stuff. When I get time I am going to try and have a go at making the bottom quarry look like a quarry!

Also decided to add another two sidings to the bottom of my layout as my extra engines are snarling up my main lines. (Also noticed my plan had one too many sidings on the main bit at the top).

Here is the latest plan anyway. I'll post pics of the quarry should I get any time to get up there and do any more!

Zanziba

Done a bit more

Postby Zanziba » Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:55 pm

Okay, got 2 hours to play so spent 30 mins racing trains round (That new Gauge Master controller is Amazing! My poor running A1A flies!) and an hour and a bit doing my quarry, first EVER ballasting attempt!

Let me know what you think, also did first ever bushes (Lichen 85p) and added a little detail to quarry walls but not finished yet.

Still need to put two buffers in and some men/machinery of some description.

Only done the lower quarry so far. Some brightness/gamma alteration to pictures due to poor lighting and too bright a flash!

Chuffer Chuff

Postby Chuffer Chuff » Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:13 pm

Its looking good there mate! :D For your first go a ballasting, you have done very well there!

Keep up the good work, can't wait to see more progress!!!

What Gaugemaster controller are you using, I have one and there is excellent speed control? :D
"You only get one chance in life, so make the most of it!"

Zanziba

Postby Zanziba » Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:15 pm

I'll have to check, £20 off eBay, I simply cannot believe the difference to my old Hornby 915's. Speed control is amazing but it's also the power it seems to give the trains, especially, like I said, my poor runner which now goes like new (On two of my three lines - time to save for another Gauge Master me thinks!)

Chuffer Chuff

Postby Chuffer Chuff » Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:22 pm

I have the Gaugemaster "Q" model which provides power for 4 tracks, and yes the power it chucks out to the trains is excellent being that my layout track length is quite long.

The only power loss I ever get is not due to the controller but due to unsecured joins with old fish plates in track. This I have found particularly common when using Hornby fish plates (PECO's don't seem to be a problem). Also I have found you can get contact issues when using a mixture of both Hornby and PECO track (I find PECO Setrack has a much better quality than Hornby's stuff). :D

Due to these minor issues of contacts and power loss, the amount of Hornby track on the layout is kept to a minimum (this depends on what track I have left available to use of course).

Zanziba

Buffers

Postby Zanziba » Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:44 pm

Here are my two scratch built buffers, a first for scratch building for me, each one is made of 9 matchsticks, painted brown, washed in black, then black front painted on and yellow strips using wifes nail varnish. Finally a little green at the base. When I glue them in place I will put small shrubs at the base.

Zanziba

Postby Zanziba » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:29 pm

Done some more Ballasting and bought some finer Ballast as I think this "Fine" one is too coarse. Also bought two Oak trees and a load more Lichen, need about a bin bag full though, wonder where I can get it cheap?

Also laid my two new sidings and think I have room for a third...

Unfortunately due to a Camera disaster (that some of you may have read about) I can no longer post pictures.

Chuffer Chuff

Postby Chuffer Chuff » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:48 pm

Well done with those buffers and the ballasting mate!

You don't by any chance have a webcam? Most of them can take pictures, although the quality isn't as good as the camera, you will still be able to post up some pictures! :D

Just a thought, because I have to use a webcam for my pictures as I don't have a digital camera!

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”