Complete starter, follow my progress

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Stuart Reid

Re: FREE TENDER ! - BLUE

Postby Stuart Reid » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:14 am

Zanziba wrote:Just won 4 wagons for £3.20 on eBay and close enough to go and pick up so no postage - YAY !

Anyone want the Tender?

I don't have any use for it thanks, but what you could do is stick a tarpaulin over the coal to hide it, and stick an ordinary coupling on the front. Spare/old tenders were sometimes included in pick-up goods and works trains as a way of delivering water to stations and other out of the way places (like Rannoch Moor on the West Highland) where the normal water supply was either dodgy all the time or temporarily cut off for some reason.

Zanziba

Postby Zanziba » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:36 am

That's a good idea! Even though my quarries are going to be slate I will be using coal trucks, I may just use that every now and again at the back.

Does anyone know what it is off? I may find a broken one "without tender" on eBay? I can get it to e-mail me if anyone puts one on.

edwardholmes91

Postby edwardholmes91 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:01 am

Looking really good, I like your use of space, nice big layout, I did have a go at making it on HVR2 for you, but I was getting annoyed at trying to posistion the flexable track, so a gave up! :) Looks like you have a lot of the track laid now. Excellent start :!:

Zanziba

Postby Zanziba » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:13 pm

Yes, amazing how little room there was on that rise for the quarry so I have settled for one siding up there but cut out a second quarry at the bottom where those other two sidings ended up (unplanned)

Once there is chicken wire on coated in newspaper and wallpaper paste then all will become clear I am sure.

:)

edwardholmes91

Postby edwardholmes91 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:46 pm

I am sure it will, things will "begin to take shape" (literally) :) . You will need to make sure that you can get you arm at least halfway through the tunnels from both ends to ensure that you can fix derailments. If not, you can make a lift out section.

Zanziba

Postby Zanziba » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:45 pm

I am leaving the whole back open so I can get in (to clean the track too and remove spiders etc). If this is visible from the front through the tunnel mouths then I will tack a piece of dark cloth over the back.

edwardholmes91

Postby edwardholmes91 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:34 pm

Leaving the back open sounds like a good idea, I would just make a small ammount of tunnel to start, and end, so that it looks like a tunnel, Kitchen or toilet roll cut is quite effective an brickpapers can be added.

Zanziba

Postby Zanziba » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:25 pm

Well this is the tunnel started a bit more and a video (1.5MB) of a train going over it. The other slope is now finished.

and the video:

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/painting/DSCF0001.AVI

edwardholmes91

Postby edwardholmes91 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:06 pm

Looking good, its hard to tell where the mountain is from the chicken wire, but it is taking shape nicely, and once you have checked for clearances etc. you can start adding papier machia (dont know how to spell that :opps:) That trains moes rather quickly! :)

Zanziba

Postby Zanziba » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:15 am

Yes, I'll run him along and keep checking. Found one dud set of points but I'll be damned if I'm digging all my track up to remove it, I'll either have to make a solder joint to help it or solder it open and ignore the siding (darn)

Also, my Mallard is sick and my GWR shunter (not used for 20 years) is also limping a little on some track but maybe a clean will sort them.

Hopefully complete the chicken wire tomorrow. Had to stop half way as glue is drying.

TerryB
Location: Loftbrough Central [aka ....a spider infested loft in Rotherham]

Postby TerryB » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:17 am

Zanziba wrote:
Does anyone know what it is off? I may find a broken one "without tender" on eBay? I can get it to e-mail me if anyone puts one on.

I cant see too much detail in the pic .......but it looks to me like it might be a Stanier LMS tender ......maybe off the Princess/Coronation class. :?
Terry
I know it's the fastest .....but why did they have to name it after a duck?

peak

Postby peak » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:28 pm

Thats a very scary Avatar you have got there (I hope little children and Granny's don't see it!).
Good progress on the layout as well!
2 trains, 2 railroad tracks, one going the other one coming back. Click Clack, Click Clack.
Regards
Andy

http://www.brblue.co.uk

PTmodeller

Postby PTmodeller » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:32 pm

Yes, the tender looks to me like a Princess.

This is the tender of 6233, a Princess Coronation

edwardholmes91

Postby edwardholmes91 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:18 pm

I would take the points out and replace them, all you need to do is use a small screw driver to push the fishplates onto the other rail, carefully remove the track pins then put a new point in and push the fishplates back with a small screwdriver. It is best to get it working now rather than leaving it and regretting it later. :wink:

Zanziba

Postby Zanziba » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:54 pm

That's an excellent idea, I was thinking of hacksawing through the fishplates and soldering a new one in place.

i am going to use a multimeter to find exactly where the fault is... it may be possible to solder around the fault/break but I am guessing it will be the "frog" bit in the middle making it impossible (for me).

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”