Calison Halt:- N-gauge to go above OO gauge

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
wiggy25

Calison Halt:- N-gauge to go above OO gauge

Postby wiggy25 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:09 pm

Hi,

I have posted these in Ian's Newbie layout, but it was all getting rather confused so I thought I'd start a new topic to make it a little clearer.

As my father is running N-gauge I would like him to be able to bring his locos over and run on my layout.
With this in mind I thought it would be a novel idea to build a very small N-gauge layout on top of my OO layout.
This would also create some scenery on the OO layout, killing two birds with one stone so to speak.

I will put a raised baseboard in this far corner, and use the Scalescenes tunnel portals and retaining wall all the way round it, this will act as a tunnel for the OO layout and some scenery detail as well.

Well here is how far I've got so far.

As I've never done any modelling before it will give me some much needed practice on the scenery side of things.

Now it's in position and partly built I may try and turn it round so more can be seen of it, I do like it like this though as when running the loco it does appear from nowhere.
I also need to get to the manual 'Fiddle-Yard' at the back, so it's going to be hard to turn the layout round so I can still get to it. Oh well will see how it goes, I will be making it so it can be removed, all the track connections will eventually be on plug and socket type connectors.

Here you go, enjoy.

The baseboard, with track laid and connected to the Power-bus, with the dropper wires soldered to track.

Power-bus with the dropper connections.

I've found that I dont really need to solder the dropper wires to the Power-bus, just wrapping them around it 3 times works perfectly well.

It's quite amazing how a back scene and a few buildings can transform a layout, an engine shed will be built and put over the track at the front lefthand corner.
Around the edge of the baseboard standing on the lower baseboard will be the Scalescenes tunnel portals and retaining walls in OO gauge, should look quite good, I hope!

Close up of the furthest point.

Just need the ballast, weather the rails, build the bank down to the platform from the bridges and the rest of the scenery, still it's getting there.

Fiddle-Yard

This one because it's just a laugh!! ALL buildings and platform are of course Scalescenes.

Comments, suggestions or questions.....?

Ian

wiggy25

Postby wiggy25 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:31 pm

Update!

While building this It was so hard to just keep to my plan!
I was so tempted to add another siding here and alter the layout there!
That was not my aim!! It was to be very simple setrack layout just to fill a corner.....anyway

I used cardboard formers butted up to the end of the bridges and curved them round and down to the platform.
Did a few of these for both bridges, then covered with 3 layers of papier mache.

This was just to give me enough stiffness to put the polyfilla on.

Painted the Polyfilla brown, sorry 'Choc-Chip' used a tester pot of emulsion, it was quite good as it has a sponge pad on the end of the tube to it's easy to spread it.

Narrowed the road way a little to make a better flow. I'm going to cover this in grey tarmac scatter, I dont like it the way it is.

Roads covered in scatter now, looks much better.

Made these trees using Seafoam, spraying with hairspray then covering with different shades of foilage scatter, this seems to clump a bit more than normal scatter.

Rails have now been rusted! Used dark rusty red, but quickly followed it with sleeper grime, the red on it's own looked wrong to me!

Overview shot, there is an engine shed to go on in the front left hand corner, then the rest of the scenery can be done.
Yes that is the Scalescenes N-gauge warehouse all finished!
It will then go up onto the OO layout and I can build the retaing walls and tunnel portals to go round it!

It's made me realise just how long it will take to do the OO layout!

Ian

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:00 am

Hi Ian

Well, I was just about to say how good I thought the little cameo layout was until I noticed it had cows on it. As everybody knows, the addition of livestock immediately promotes any good layout to the realms of excellence ;)

Seriously though, it's a cracking little scene and the cows just make me smile :D

Cheers fella, hope the rest turns out just as good!

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

dr5euss

Postby dr5euss » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:05 am

Wow Ian, I'm impressed, that looks great :D

The road looks so much better for the scatter and fencing, it's a nice little layout. You not tempted to change over to N scale? :wink:

Peace, happiness and hope,

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:16 am

wiggy25 wrote:Update!

Ian

That's looking remarkably good Ian - and so quickly too !

Looking at the bridge on the right - it's absolutely convincing the way the track appears to continue into the countryside beyond. Neat work. If you haven't already thought of it - a suggestion - if you ballast the tracks a little further round the curve I think it will enhance the illusion of the lines continuing into the scenery beyond the bridge.

Looking forward to seeing this integrated with the rest of your layout.

lmsrail

Postby lmsrail » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:53 am

wow that it soo good, keep it up :D :D
Kind regards, Jed

Lofty

Postby Lofty » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:36 am

I must admit to thinking in the first couple of pictures that it was not going to be up to much, however by the time I got down to your last one I had changed my mind, this is a cracking effort.

I remain to be convinced on your comment regarding the wrapping of wires around each other rather than soldiering, but there again I am not an electrician

Lofty

Tank

Postby Tank » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:43 am

Looks great, well done! :)
N Gauge Ministry of Defence Depot:- Click Here
Old layout - New SouthEaston (now sold!) - Click Here
http://www.NGaugeForum.co.uk

Raider

Postby Raider » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:55 am

Fantastic looking layout - the ballast road looks great.

The one thing that does draw my attention it the fold in the backscene - there are no angles in the background in reality. I know it's a compromise with getting the track in behind for loco storage, but it sort of detracts a bit from the layout overall. Just an observation.

Keep up the cracking work - it will be interesting to see how this layout looks when the OO layout it finished. If the scenics are to the same standard (and there is no reason they shouldn't be) it will be a cracking couple of layouts.

Ironduke

Postby Ironduke » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:01 am

You mad bugger, Ian :^)

That looks brilliant!
Regards
Rob

tinsleytmd

Postby tinsleytmd » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:05 am

Yeah it looks fab are the buildings all scalescene?? a brilliant layout

westbrom

Postby westbrom » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:20 am

That's a great looking little layout Ian, well done.

Neil

Mikol

Postby Mikol » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:20 am

this does looks a bit good ;)

Appleton

Postby Appleton » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:51 am

Nice work, I like the viaduct.

Bushey Troughs

Postby Bushey Troughs » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:57 am

Ian, Cracking piece of work yet again. Excellent........
COLIN.
“What experience and history teaches us is that people and governments have never learned anything from history, or acted on principles deduced from it”

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”