Goathland - Ed's Layout! UPDATED 23/03/10

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
peak

Postby peak » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:08 pm

holmedwa04 wrote
Sorry about the boring pictures, I just want to record everything I do!

No need to be sorry.
I think it's a great idea to record everything you do!
I wish I had recorded lots of things but didn't.
So stick at it!
2 trains, 2 railroad tracks, one going the other one coming back. Click Clack, Click Clack.
Regards
Andy

http://www.brblue.co.uk

m.levin

Postby m.levin » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:16 pm

I must admit I never took any pictures of the base board and wish I did.

dynamite25

Postby dynamite25 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:43 pm

I think it's a great idea to record your layout as you build it as I'm recording my layout with Pictures as I build it too and when I have made changes to the layout and things I buy for it,I have took 117 pics so far and many many more to come.
Click here to see my Progress with my Scalextric Hobby Progress updated (17/09/07)

R.I.P Sam our very much loved family pet dog who sadly passed away on the 3/6/2010 early hours in the morning in my mums arms on route to the vets.

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:08 pm

Well done on making your own lights - impressive. And adding to previous comments - keep up the picture record of your construction: I bet you'll enjoy looking back on it a year down the line. Also it could be a useful resource to others in the future who are just starting out.
Last edited by SouthernBoy on Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:13 pm

yeah
photograph everything, enjoy the whole process
:D

edwardholmes91

Postby edwardholmes91 » Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:14 am

Thanks for your encouraging comments, I am going to hopefully glue the tiles down this weekend some time. :D

edwardholmes91

Postby edwardholmes91 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:42 pm

Mumbles has very kindly made my track plan on XrkCad, so here is a picture of it for you:

edwardholmes91

Postby edwardholmes91 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:24 pm

I am glue cork tiles to my layout, so I will post some pictures when they are done! :D Hopefully some quite running soon!

jweighell

Postby jweighell » Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:12 pm

Isn't the idea to just cut the cork tiles to a little bigger than the shape of your track as underlay, rather than cover the whole board? Then you cover the cork part with ballast to give a raised look?

Just curious!

Jonathan

edwardholmes91

Postby edwardholmes91 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:59 pm

Yes I think so, but can be done either way, I am not too fussy about having the ballast bed looking like it is raised really. Also it means I can change my layout plan however I like and whenever I like. :) :wink:

edwardholmes91

Postby edwardholmes91 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:55 am

Ok, I have finally finshed laying the cork tiles, on my layout. As cork is a natural product, there are some very slight undulations in the surface, and so I am going to lightly sand the edges of each of the tiles. But, at least it is done now, I promise I WILL get some pictures uploaded as soon as I can.

edwardholmes91

Postby edwardholmes91 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:59 pm

Right, as promised, here are some picture of the corks tiles cut glued and sanded smooth on my layout:

Left Hand Side

Right Hand Side

P.S. if you are wondering what I used to glue them, it was Evo Stick 528 Contant Adhesive. And yes, I did need nearly the whole tin, I used a tile adhesive spreader on the fine side to spread the glue, and a metal rule and Stanly Knife to cut the tiles. I used a surform to neaten the edges of the baseboard up and put a slight chamfer on it.

I'll_be_in_the_loft

Postby I'll_be_in_the_loft » Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:48 pm

Ed, I'm planning to do something similar with the tiles but ideally I don't want to glue them down. This is so that once all the track is laid in its final position (months away yet then) I can cut away the unwanted cork and lay ballast. Do you think I'll get away with not glueing them? Also, what thickness tiles are they? I can only find 5mm on eBay but was hoping to find something like 3mm.
My ebay sales may be viewed by clicking HERE.
Feel free to place bids, GENUINE bidders only please.

dynamite25

Postby dynamite25 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:18 am

You can get cork tiles in a pack of 9 from the likes of focus,B&Q,Wickes,Homebase I think too but not sure and they measure 300mmx300mmx3.2mm,on my layout I did glue some down when the layout was in the spare room but now I just lay the cork under the track then cut the excess off and the ones I did glue down I have to remove some of it either side of the track so I can ballast the track.
Click here to see my Progress with my Scalextric Hobby Progress updated (17/09/07)

R.I.P Sam our very much loved family pet dog who sadly passed away on the 3/6/2010 early hours in the morning in my mums arms on route to the vets.

edwardholmes91

Postby edwardholmes91 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:16 pm

I'll_be_in_the_loft wrote:Ed, I'm planning to do something similar with the tiles but ideally I don't want to glue them down. This is so that once all the track is laid in its final position (months away yet then) I can cut away the unwanted cork and lay ballast. Do you think I'll get away with not glueing them? Also, what thickness tiles are they? I can only find 5mm on eBay but was hoping to find something like 3mm.

I bought mine from B&Q, I couldn't find them anywhere else, really good price too, make sure you buy the fine sanded ones though and not the varnished ones, the dimensions are:

Width = 300mm
Length = 300mm
Height = 4mm

They come in packs of nine, be sure to buy more than you need, because you wouldn't want to run out.

I should imagine if you place them where you want them, then pin the track down, they will fix in place, then you can cut them, then just make sure that the edge of your ballast bed goes over the edge of the cork and it will secure it in place.

Here is the link: Fine Sanded Cork Tiles

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”