Goathland - Ed's Layout! UPDATED 23/03/10

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
edwardholmes91

Goathland - Ed's Layout! UPDATED 23/03/10

Postby edwardholmes91 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:46 pm

Hi,

I am creating this thread in which I intend to publish all of my work and pictures of my layout, however at the moment I haven't built a baseboard yet. Keep a lookout for new posts, work shoudl start soon, I am currently working on helping tidy the loft. You may have seen one of my earlier thread, "First Attempt at Ballasting".
Last edited by edwardholmes91 on Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:42 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Bryan Gundry

Postby Bryan Gundry » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:28 pm

Look forward to seeing your progress.

Just don't take the 2 years it took me to clear the attic.:(

'er downstairs was not impressed. :wink:

edwardholmes91

Postby edwardholmes91 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:08 pm

Lol, well it isn't my loft, it is my parents' but I am pushing them to tidy it up enough so that I can have one end of it to build my railway, unfortunately unlike Lofty I do not have such a good loft (moderner house at a guess, and so lofts of roof timbers get in the way!) and also I am not allowed to use it all! Progress is hopefully going to speed up and once I have been of holiday I will know how much money I have to spend and also I will be getting my wage on the 23rd! Along with my GCSE results, cant wait! :D Well I am not so sure about the results, but I think they will be alright!

Bryan Gundry

Postby Bryan Gundry » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:13 pm

Good luck for 23rd :idea:

My youngest has a couple of GCSE results being announced on the 23rd as well.

So fingers crossed for you both.

edwardholmes91

Postby edwardholmes91 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:51 pm

Thanks, looking forward to getting my hands on my very first healthy pay packet though, so it should conterbalance my results if they are bad!

Bryan Gundry

Postby Bryan Gundry » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:01 pm

Think positive :idea:

My son has to wait for his first regular paypacket, he's only 15.

His mum told him he had to work at my office or she would find him house work to do during the school holidays. So what does he go and do but gets himself freelance work HTML coding.

He was very pleased with himself when he told his mum that he wasn't going out to work but working from home as a freelancer.

edwardholmes91

Postby edwardholmes91 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:05 pm

Very respectable indeed, must be a clever lad, I enjoy HTML coding, however I would never dream of making a business out of it, that is something that would be well worth putting on his CV. You should be very proud of him. I worked with my friend at a resotation company called Rameses. I was labelling fans with security codes etc ready to be dispacted for the recent floods, however at the end of the week when asked by my friend if I would like to work for two extra weeks while he was on holiday I declined the offer. Just too laborious. However I have £112 coming my way, which will defiinately be used on railway funds.

Give my best regards and much luck to your son for using his initiative and HTML knowledge and hope he gets what he wants from his presumably early GCSE examination results.

Could you posibbliy PM me his email or something?

edwardholmes91

Tidy The Loft - In preporation for building layout

Postby edwardholmes91 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:31 pm

Hi,

Just to update you really, I have got down to tidying the loft up a bit, the following pictures are probably boring to most people, but here goes:

This is a picture of the messy loft!

To help move things around and to allow more storage, I helped screw down some "Contiboard", however this is NOT intended to be walked on etc.

Same again, however from the other end, not much difference really!

I will post some more pictures soon when the boxs have been carefully arranged into suitable posistions and the centre of the loft has been cleared!

andrewteenagemodeller

Postby andrewteenagemodeller » Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:07 pm

Another HTMLer over here. :mrgreen:

A nice blank canvas for your layout, have you got any plans?
Andrew

Zanziba

Postby Zanziba » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:15 pm

Draw up some plans and let us see your ideas...

It's amazing how quick things move once you get a couple of days (without distractions) lol

edwardholmes91

Postby edwardholmes91 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:53 pm

Well, those are just the bays of the loft, they are not actually for the layout, or even for me, to walk on, they just allow easyier moving of boxs etc.

The loft is now tidy, however, lots of things have been happening at once with my layout, I have just recieved an order of points motors and switchs and I have been to Simmons of Stafford, to buy timber for my layout. This cost slightly more than expected! It came out at £80! We did however have some sandbags to take back, so we got £12 off and my dad says he is happy with me only paying £50 so not bad really, and I know it is good quality timber. I will post some pictures of the timber and building of the baseboard soon, however, for the time being, here are a few pictures of the loft tidy and also the order that I made recently:

This is a picture of the loft tidy! Thats a first! :)

This is a pictue of the awful mix of carpets in the centre of the loft! Soon to be changed for my old bedroom carpet I think. :shock:

This is the left hand side of the loft tidy.

This is the right hand side of the loft tidy.

The water tanks and the loft hatch, at the opposite end of the loft.

Now for some picture of the order that I recieved this morning:

All thirteen passing contact switchs that I ordered!

All thirteen of the points motors that I ordered!

The track rubber.

My Track Cleaning Coach! I cant wait to be able to run this around my layout! :D

And to finsh a picture of all fithteen (yes, 15, I already had two!) Passing Contact Switchs ganged together!

Oh and before I forget, I picture of my track layout:

Click Here, for a full resolution picture of my track layout.

As I may have said earlier on in the post, I will post some picture of the baseboard once I have started to build it.

edwardholmes91

Postby edwardholmes91 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:24 pm

I have made a start on the framework of my baseboard, slightly different to the original plan, but more flexable (in a metaphorical sence, not literally!) I feel. I am also considering having a trapdoor, that can be lifted to allow easy access when ballasting and doing maintanence etc. If I do I will have a town square with a war memorial in the middle on the trapdoor and the rest will be shops around the edges of it. :)

I will go and take some more pictures so that I can upload them in a bit.

PTmodeller

Postby PTmodeller » Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:37 pm

holmedwa04 wrote:If I do I will have a town square with a war memorial in the middle on the trapdoor and the rest will be shops around the edges of it.

Cor Blimey, that's going to town a bit!

edwardholmes91

Postby edwardholmes91 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:53 pm

PTmodeller wrote:
holmedwa04 wrote:If I do I will have a town square with a war memorial in the middle on the trapdoor and the rest will be shops around the edges of it.

Cor Blimey, that's going to town a bit!

Lol, I like the pun :lol:

I will keep you posted up with picture etc. as it develops, but at the moment, I am scratching my head, trying to work out how the trapdoor will be posistioned, as I cant layout track on the framework and yet I dont know exactly where the track will be placed! If I cant work out where the track is going to be, then I wont be able to work out where to build the trapdoor into the framework! :shock: :?

Here are some quick pictures of the baseboard frame so far:

Picture of the centre of the roof, all carpet removed and the floorboard secured! Previous to this, they had very few screws in! :?

This is a picture of the baseboard frame as a whole, you may be able to pick out the edge of it, more pieces of wood need adding to finish it off, this is merely the basic edges.

This is the left hand wing of the baseboard, again incomplete, just the edges. The end that sticks out will give me somewhere to posistion controllers etc.

Same agian, however on the left hand side.

m.levin

Postby m.levin » Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:56 pm

you have made a nice start well done.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”