Bill's New Extension. ----Update.

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
dynamite25

Postby dynamite25 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:38 pm

Looking really great mate and nice extension to the layout.
Click here to see my Progress with my Scalextric Hobby Progress updated (17/09/07)

R.I.P Sam our very much loved family pet dog who sadly passed away on the 3/6/2010 early hours in the morning in my mums arms on route to the vets.

waz

Postby waz » Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:26 am

Sorry chaps. Should have thanked you for your kind comments. Still, better late than never.
Ordered ballast from Guagemaster and it wasn't in stock so I have gone to Woodland scenics for some but it will take a while. Thanks for the suggestion some weeks ago Brian T. Pete ! Took your tips for Static grass and got a bit from Guagemaster. While I am waiting for the ballast I have tried a small ammount on a test piece of board I use. Must say it looks fantastic and I wouldn't say it is quite as messy as you predicted ( bits all over the place). Still, we'll see come the day.
BILL.

dynamite25

Postby dynamite25 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:43 pm

For your scenic materials if none of the others have any in stock try www.ecscenics.co.uk ,i also post the link in the scenery section of the forum.
Click here to see my Progress with my Scalextric Hobby Progress updated (17/09/07)

R.I.P Sam our very much loved family pet dog who sadly passed away on the 3/6/2010 early hours in the morning in my mums arms on route to the vets.

waz

Postby waz » Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:51 am

Hi Chaps !!
Just posted 3 new photos to see if you have any suggestions on what I am trying to do. I have covered the 3 rail curve with the intention of having an industrial scene on the top. may be put a booking office on the top right hand edge with steps leading down to the station at the side of the tunnel entrance. It goes without saying that it is only a mock up as I want to see how large the tunnel entrances might have to be. I think they are too wide for arched entrances but feel that they may look okay if I make them square with a gurder across the top. See what you think. I await your expert advice.
The station platforms were purchased as unpainted plastic and I have been meaning to paint them up for long months. In the end it took me 2 minutes to do those with primer spray. I include the shot cos I was quite chuffed at how they turned out. Next job is to put white lines on. Bought the straight sections for £1 each and the ramps for 50p each. The are Hornby.
Thanks lads.
BILL.
http://usera.imagecave.com/bluebird60/
Last edited by waz on Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Raider

Postby Raider » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:19 pm

I got an error message when I clicked on the link

waz

Postby waz » Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:05 pm

Sorry chaps ! Not a good day. My bad smelling again. Thanks Raider!! This is it with an e.

waz

Postby waz » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:31 am

Just a couple of new photos. Trying to span three tracks on a curve is problematic so I took the option of trying to build a girder supported bridge. Seems to be okay so far but still much to do. Photos of rough painted base colour and general shape. The enterances are supposed to be of the very big stone block type. I may paint these in a sandstone colour then throw some weak gray at them and see how it goes. Progress is slow due to me planning on the hoof.
Any comments or help more than welcome !!!
BILL.

waz

Postby waz » Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:54 am

Hi All !! Just a quick update. I applied a little paint to the bridges but progress is slow. Had a wiring fault which has raised it's head in the past couple of days. The passing loop on the inside of the extention ceased to function correctly. When I checked I found that I had made the fundemental error of puting the power on the wrong side of the points. The weired thing is that it has been working okay for the past couple of weeks. Anyway thanks to that problem I found I had pleanty room to extend the passing loop to join further down the track using all the bits of flexi track left over plus a couple of Hornby straights I had knocking about. (compare photos). At last all my ballast has finaly arrived and it's time to realy crack on. I just want to make it clear in my mind that the track configuration is as I want it cos there aint no turning back once the ballast is in place.
BILL.

waz

Postby waz » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:03 am

Finished the ballasting yesterday. This morning I have to clean it up and test run a locomotive round it all. Tell me, is it supposed to look like a disaster at an opencast coal mine. I am not well pleased with it at the moment. :(
I'll try to clean it up before I post any photos. Can't show it as it is. :oops:
BILL.

waz

Postby waz » Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:59 am

Well, What to do? After laying my ballast and cleaning up the track I tested a locomotive on it. It ran okay but the noise was horrendous !! Okay, I took a chance on not laying the track on cork or some other sound deadening material and I realised that it would be a bit noisier but hell. I thought that I could have got used to it but with all three tracks running the environmental health people came round to see where the noise was coming from.

I have more or less decided to rip it all up and start a fresh. I had to move one of the felxi rails yesterday and with a flat wood chisel it came up okay and the ballast pulled out so I may be able to salvage most rails. While I'm at it I will re do the centre two ovals in flexi.

If anyone has taken up ballasted rail and re used it let me know if there is any easy way because the next few days are going to be a slog.
BILL.

Ironduke

Postby Ironduke » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:02 am

If you can get it up without pulling all the sleepers off just soak the track in a tub of warm soapy water (preverably outside) and then scrub with a nylon scrubbing brush.
Regards
Rob

waz

Postby waz » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:22 am

Thanks Rob!!

I'm dreading doing it. It was all going so well. Had lots of plans for it but I will not give up on it. It was easier fitting a new bathroom suit and shower in a week and I'm not a plumber.

If anyone want's to chuck in any ideas as to a fresh lay out, you can see the room I have from the photos. Board, 7ft 7ins x 4ft and a bit. Shelves 10ins wide. Far shelf for bends 20ins deep.

At the moment I think I will keep it as is but I can be persuaded.

Thanks all
BILL.

mikem

Postby mikem » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:38 pm

I wonder if you can apply self adhesive sound deadening pads to the underside of the boards in the same manner that car manufacturers do to the inside of panels to stop/reduce road noise? Don't know if anyone has tried this?
Will I ever open all these red and yellow boxes?

waz

Postby waz » Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:01 pm

Good thought Mikem!!

Since my last post, about 4 hours ago, most of the track is up and the baseboard scraped for the first time. Not swept up yet cos I'm knackered. I just wellied in to it and got it's back broken as well as mine.
Had enough for today.

I am going to try and use the polistyrene stuff you use for keeping out the damp. You paste it onto the wall before you paper. You know the stuff. I have a full roll in the other attic room so I am going to try and experiment with it. It costs about £3.50 for a 30ft roll 23inches wide.

If it will paint up, I'll cover the board with it and lay the track then cut round the track leaving an overhang. Got the Idea? I'll keep you posted on the progress with that. Anyway. Onward and upward.
BILL.

waz

Postby waz » Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:05 pm

Hi All !!

Well they say that things usualy happen for a purpose and it usualy is true if you realy think about things.

All the track is now up and the baseboard and extension cleaned. Now I realise just how much space I have been wasting and the new configuration is slowly taking shape. Nothing hard and fast, at the moment, but nearly cracked it.

I managed to salvage 99% of all my rails. That includes all of the points. I took the step of ordering up 60ft of Flexi Rail just in case. As it is I'm going to be able to replace most of the old set track from the two centre ovals.

The polystyrene I was talking about seem to work. I tryed a bit on a couple of curved sections to see how it would cut around. Not ballast, but looks great. Pinned down, the rail just about sinks in to it. Painted up with sadnstone coloured paint it looks tidy. Not real, but tidy.

I'll post some photos, hopefully by the week end.

BILL.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”