Bill's New Extension. ----Update.

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
BrotherWolf

Postby BrotherWolf » Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:00 pm

waz wrote:The photo is not very good due to the sunlight from the Velux window.

Rubbish, it's a great picture! Gives a decent view of the layout. If you hadn't mentioned the stitching, I wouldn't have noticed.

Ijdagger

Postby Ijdagger » Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:05 pm

Page 50, you are to be comended on a great layout and brilliant thread.
Hope your new plans come to fruition soon

Ian

Lofty

Postby Lofty » Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:14 pm

Large or small its still a stunning set up Bill 8)

Lofty

Lee

Postby Lee » Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:59 pm

Excellent pics though nice track work aswell :wink:

ClikC

Postby ClikC » Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:56 pm

dr5euss wrote:You can work it out though. For instance, the distance of the 'door in' is just 7.2 - 4.2 = 3ft.

Centre bit is 4.2 - 1.8 = 2.4.

This is year 7 maths :wink:

Really...

How about using your "Year 7 Maths" work out Exactly how large the the Left hand edge of the 'Wall' is, and how wide the door is... I'll give you a clue, you've got 41 inches left over...

For all I know the wall could only be 1 inch, and the door 40 inches, or Visa-versa, or any other sub devision.

Next time I suggest you 'THINK' before insulting someone else's intelligence...
ImageImageImage

ClikC

Postby ClikC » Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:11 pm

waz wrote:Hi Chaps !!

Yes, sorry. I realised I had missed some dimentions off after the posting.

The Bit of wall at the top that sticks out is--- 1ft.

The door is----- 20" from the baseboard which make the flap around 20" long.

From the edge of the bottom wall along the baseboard to the flap is---33"
Hope that helps. I'm just being lazy so if I have to I'll re-scan the drawing and post it again.

Lofty----- Yes it does look biger than it is. That is my problem. I don't see me being able to go anywhere to improve the design. I used up every square inch I could to get as much track in as I could.

My Best Regards

BILL.

Cheers bill, just what I was after.

I've drawn up the surface area of your baseboard on two sheets of A4 graph paper, which I will have to stick together, unless I can find a source of A3 Graph paper (which Would solve all my problems). I'm just working out some ideas in my head before committing them to paper, hopefully I can avoid using first radius curves altogether, with the tightest curves being 18' (second radius).

I'm working on your required 3 track mainline, which I will run; Up Main, Down Main and a Reversible Relief line. Hopefully I can also Squeeze in either 2 Fiddle Yards, or 1 Fiddle yard and one Branch station. The mainline fiddle yard will only be 5 tracks, which will serve to hold two trains while letting 3 just go around and around when in the the mood to sit and watch, or let you run the layout in a prototypical fashion.

I'm currently planning the layout based somewhere on the North wales coast line, but you can of course set it where ever you like, but thats currently how I'm planning it.

Matt
ImageImageImage

waz

Postby waz » Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:05 am

Thanks Matt!!

Regards

BILL.

waz

Postby waz » Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:36 pm

Hi Chaps !!

Well, it didn't take long for our newcommer "Sanctuary" to make an impression.
I loved his buildings that were made from Linka moulds so I folowed his link to a supplier and £125 for a kit is a bit much for me on a whim so went to the Bay. Just bought an old kit for £21. I must be mad. Pure impulse. Let's see what its like when it arrives eh?

Best Regards To You All

BILL.

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:19 pm

Good spot Bill! I too have spend time drooling at Sanctuary's efforts. You've got yerself a right bargain there!
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

waz

Postby waz » Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:36 pm

Hi Infrontcat!!

Yeh that's me. In for a penny infor a pound.
Go to the Bay and type in Linka in the search, there's loads of stuff on there.

Best regards

BILL.

Derek

Postby Derek » Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:36 pm

Hi Bill

I may be out of line here but I really do hope you don't rip up your layout and start again. Your current layout looks great in all the photos and on video; as does your model making (including the newly installed lighting in the houses).

I can understand you may not be happy with it, I guess that's your prerogative; but I for one will be disappointed to see it go.

Just my 2p.

waz

Postby waz » Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:43 pm

Derek!!!
Your 2p is worth a million pounds, thanks. It aint going unless I can do BETTER.
At the moment I don't think I can have the track cofig as good as it is to maximise running length and building potential. But I'll see. It is a long way from finished as it is so I may well carry on.
Thanks again for your kind comments.

My Best Regards

BILL.

davek

Postby davek » Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:05 pm

That's an excellent little layout making good use of the space available - keep up the good work!

sanctuary

Postby sanctuary » Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:20 pm

waz wrote: Hi Chaps !!!!

I'm not quite sure if I have a valid reason for this video?
I was just relaxing in the train room with a pint and a roll up and the camera was there so I did some shots.
As you can see I have 6 coaches with lights in now so I can run 2x3 lit coaches. It's going to be some while before they're all done.
I'm just in the throws of thinking about street lighting. I have some LED's and the gear the problem is the lamp posts.
I considered drinking straws but I think thay seem to be out of scale. Thin copper or brass tubing would be ideal but I don't seem to be able to source any at the moment. ANY IDEAS?
By the way. Sorry to those of you who don't have broadband but I do like my video's.

Hope you like it and thanks for taking time out to view it, if you do.

My best Regards to you all

BILL.

Bill I'm very impressed with your layout, you've got what I am missing, the buildings look alive and lived in especially with the interior lights.

Thats set my next task (once I've sorted out the electrics) to put windows and lights in my Linka.

If you do go down the linka route I would suggest you use this casting powder its the one I used. The biggest problem I had at the beginning was the failure of the castings due to weak powder.

Its a slow proses but you can speed the whole thing up by making copies of your castings using this Remeltable Rubber.

Ho and belated Birthday wishes.Image

Aidan

westbrom

Postby westbrom » Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:35 pm

Bill, your layout is far too good to rip up and start again, but that's just my 2p's worth.

Regards Neil

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”