00 Gauge Scenic Module No.1 Latest Pics Page 22

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
mumbles

00 Gauge Scenic Module No.1 Latest Pics Page 22

Postby mumbles » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:32 pm

hi
due to a number of things;
hot weather, making the loft largely a no go area
indecisive wife that can't make up her mind whether she wants to move or not,
and
the huge job of getting the garage sorted for a layout
i have decided i need to crack on with something that i can do some scenic work on in lieu of the above
so i thought i'd make a small scenic diorama.
however, as i started planning it i became more and more into it and what i could do with it.
then i found myself ordering some code 75 flexi track for it and thought i might as well build it as module 1 for some far off layout of the future.
so far i have
built a frame
shown here with ply on top
and sat down with a good book and a glass of red for inspiration to do a track plan [click to see track plan clearly :D ]

the baseboard will be done as an open frame, once the track arrives i will plan where it goes on the ply and cut a track bed that i will then raise however high it needs to go so as to have a sloping landscape with a cutting at one end leading down to a embankment at the other
[it makes sense in my mind]
Michael

Jimbob

Postby Jimbob » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:40 am

Nice track plan!!

On a serious note, sounds like you have a good idea of what you want (dont we all!!), and i hope you do well with it! Looking forward to updates
YOU GOT YOU GOT YOU GOT WHAT I NEED!

My shelf layout - http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... php?t=8112

zabdiel

Postby zabdiel » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:04 pm

Sounds good! Most bits of the rail network look much like your track plan :)

I like the plants in the top left of the first two pictures...

John

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:04 am

hi
cheers it took a lot of thought to get the track plan just right.
the plants in the corner of the pic btw way are called [or i call them at least] umbrella plants. if you know anyone with them of see them in a nice park garden somewhere they are very easy to propogate.
simply take a stem that has been bent or broken [but still green] remove it and trim the leaves around the head, small enough so that you can put it upside down in a glass of water. leave it until roots appear then plant it on in a pot.. they likes lots of water and can be grown submerged in a pond or in the ground.

anyway, have got some more cross pieces to begin the construction of the trackbed supports. also have various other bits and pieces on the way to build a bridge

i've also been looking for a supplier of peco code 60 rail and conductor chairs for 3rd rail, i have seen a few online stockist but prices vary, can anyone recommned a good website/ shop?

cheers
michael

zabdiel

Postby zabdiel » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:27 am

Thanks for the gardening tips!

I was wondering if it was going to be a 3rd rail electric module having spotted the book. I was hoping it would be :)

John

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:17 pm

hi
just got back from a few days away at my brothers [who lives in a converted GWR ticket office]
came home to find a card from the posty saying i have some things to collect from post office and some plasticard that has got through the letter box
hopefully i'll get the chance to work a bit on this module in the next few days
michael

BTC

Postby BTC » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:35 am

I know the feeling mumbles. I'm pushing my garage layout into the future as the waterproofing project is progressing slowly and I'm nervous that I'll just get going with the layout and the roof to come crashing in.

Your board construction looks neat. What size is your module?

I'm wondering whether to go modular with each module one hobbyboard size.

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:18 am

Hi Michael

Good stuff mate! Glad to hear the stuff has arrived. Looking forward to seeing some progress here now! ;)

Cheers

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:15 pm

hi
the module is 6x2 which is pretty big but it will be open frame so should be lighter for it.
here is some progress on the plate girder bridge, i decided too scratch build with plasticard for a challenge and becuase i wanted to avoid a pre formed girder sides bridge as produced by peco or wills
i also have built it more or less along the lines of how they seem to be built in real life, i quite like the idea of being able to look under the bridge and see the girders, which is what this pic is showing, the underframe. don't look like much but i have stuck the top /trackbed section on and it looks like a bridge to me, next up is the sides
michael

Pete

Postby Pete » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:27 pm

Michael

Looks interesting, how many tracks you running over it?

Pete
It's the nature of evolution
The dinosaurs went to Hell

dr5euss

Postby dr5euss » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:31 pm

I imagine two, judging by the plan on P1 :?

Might be an idea to prime it before gluing with Halfords primer, paints just seems to rub off the plasticard :(

Pete

Postby Pete » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:59 pm

Didn't see a plan :?
It still looks interesting.

Pete

mumbles

Re: 00 Gauge Scenic Module No.1

Postby mumbles » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:15 pm

mumbles wrote:Image

hi
this is the track plan pete but you have to click on it to see it as when the forum shrinks it it loses clarity
done the sides now on the bridge, feel pretty pleased with this considering ti was plasticard earlier today and some sketches i had done
btw, i have been using the slaters mek-pak glue and i would recommend it. its almost like magic glue!
michael

Pete

Postby Pete » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:13 am

Ah I understand now, should have looked more closely :oops:

Smashing looking bridge though.

Pete

live-frog

Postby live-frog » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:56 am

Excellent structure - professional finish !
a few questions please:
Are the strips for the plate sections bought pre-cut or have you 'sliced' them yourself ?
Which plasticard are you using - because I bought some cheap stuff and it 'melted' when I used a contact glue which was supposed to be for plastic ?
What thicknesses of card are you using ?
Cheers
ron

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”