Pete's new N-gauge Layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Pete

Postby Pete » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:28 pm

Just for you Chris some better pics. I should point out that the scenery is nowhere near finished.

I love these OSSAG tankers, I've a few already, but they challenge the wallet a bit so I have to ration myself.

These box vans are nice too, they weather up well, the weathered one above is one I did a few months back, I'm building up quite a rake of these chaps too now.

Pete

Raider

Postby Raider » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:49 pm

Ah that detail in Euro N Gauge - really is something else.

joshing_man

Postby joshing_man » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:55 pm

Like the station Pete. Goods shed looks weird but hey what do I know! Nice additions to the stock too.

Andrew
The Original Smiling Man With Train (SMWT):

bunji

Postby bunji » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:42 pm

Looks brilliant, Pete! A good long rake of those would look cracking on your layout. :)

Pete

Postby Pete » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:51 pm

Hi

Spent a few hours tonight putting the station together, it's not finished, but at least now I can see how big it is:

I just hope the platform is big enough, it's too cold to go and check!

Pete

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:37 pm

I've not seen Auhagen before - what are the kits like to assemble ? I tend to prefer continental or US kits to home grown material as I find the depth of detail better, which makes painting / weathering easier.

Raider

Postby Raider » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:15 am

Always makes it easier planning things when you have the physical items in front of you.

I was just wondering how you were going to make the platforms - do they come as part of the kit or will it be a scratch build?

Pete

Postby Pete » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:43 am

Hi

Auhagen make a nice range of kits, HO and N, you can get them from International Models in N-Wales http://www.internationalmodels.net, they are a great company to deal with, I think they are quite a small outfit, but offer good customer service, and have an excellent range of unusual stuff.

The kit was easy to build, requiring very little attention beyond cleaning the sprue gates from the components. It was also excellent value at about £10.00!!

Chris

The platform will be made from 4mm hardboard, it looks just right for the low continental platforms. if you use it textured side up, it almost gives a cobbled effect, I'll post a when I try the station out later :wink: .

There is a low platform section included with the kit, but it's not suitable as I want a curved platform.

Pete

live-frog

Postby live-frog » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:12 am

That's a grand station in more ways than one Pete .
I take it from the reference to sprues that it's plastic ? is that 22cm or so long ?

One comment about the upturned hardboard :- it's very difficult to paint lines on using masking tape because the paint seeps under the tape due to the rough surface.
Ron

Pete

Postby Pete » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:17 am

Ron

Yes, it's a plastic model, and yes it's about 250mm long.

Your also very right about the harboard, I'm actually using it the other way up on this layout, so it's rough side down, but it did make a good effect on my previous layout when I wanted a cobelled/stone set platform. I'm using it this time to form a concrete platform, so any material would have done really, it's just I had some going spare, and I can cut it easily to the curve I need.

There's a lot of detailing to go on the building yet, but I needed to check the size so I can press on with other bits, I probably won't do much more to it now for a bit.

Pete

Pete

Postby Pete » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:30 am

Hi

Just for reference, this is how it looked on my previous layout, I think it's quite a good effect:

Pete

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:40 am

looks a nice size station building there
one thing.. the pics are of both sides but appear to show a recess for the platform and raised doors on each side? was wondering what side is track side and what will be done on the other side of the building to compensate for the raised doors?
cheers
michael

Pete

Postby Pete » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:07 am

Michael

The recess is for some stonework detailing to be attatched, there are some steps to be added up to the door, so the building will effectivly stand as it is on the platform. Theres a small raised platform to be added to the shed on the left.

The second view will be towards the track.

I'll post up a pic later of it in position.

Pete

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:45 am

Pete wrote:Michael

The recess is for some stonework detailing to be attatched, there are some steps to be added up to the door, so the building will effectivly stand as it is on the platform. Theres a small raised platform to be added to the shed on the left.

The second view will be towards the track.

I'll post up a pic later of it in position.

Pete

that makes is clearer, but would the platform side o fhtte building not butt up against the platform rather than stand on it so the doors would be a platform height?

Pete

Postby Pete » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:04 am

Michael

I see what your getting at, but don't forget this is a continental station, the 'platform' is a lot lower than GB platforms, often there is no real platform at all, and passengers step down to ground level. I think it'll be clearer when I post the pic later.

Take a look at the picture on the box on the previous page for an example.

Your also casting a suitable level of doubt into my mind :? and I'll have to check!!

I'll see if I can find some suitable prototype pics too.

Watch this space....

Pete

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”