Pete's new N-gauge Layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Pete

Postby Pete » Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:00 pm

Hi

Didn't get half what I intended to do, but at least it's a start:

Hope to get some more done tomorrow.

Pete

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:05 pm

hi
looking good so far. glad to see you back and posting some progress reports
i notice that's quite a happy looking lego man :wink:
michael

Pete

Postby Pete » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:48 pm

:D Yep, happy lego for now, though the world conspires against me :wink:

Pete

Pete

Postby Pete » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:10 pm

Hi

Well braving the cold I finished the first hill tonight, the plastering bit that is. I even ran a train about 300mm using a couple of leads with croc clips.

Tomorrow I go in search of paint and ground cover.

I'll have to get round to painting that signal box too.

Pete

Pete

Postby Pete » Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:31 pm

Hi

Just got a lick of paint on the hill, it's mixed from yellow and blue cheepy poster paint from The Works

The dark areas in the second pic are where some exposed rock will appear when I start with the ground cover.

The green is mixed on the trot so that I get a nice variation in the shades.

Pete

sanctuary

Postby sanctuary » Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:32 pm

I love to see an artist create his masterpieces from the bare canvas, it inspires me to try and emulate their work.

Thats why I was a bit late seeing your thread :lol: :lol: :lol:

No seriously Pete your work is inspiring and always well documented, I'm looking forward to seeing this new layout progress.
Tight Lines Aidan

Linka to Pawford Layout

Pete

Ground cover begins!

Postby Pete » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:59 pm

Hi

Pressed on this morning.

I had this box of about 40-50 pine trees I bought some years ago so I thought I'd use them up and form the edge of a pine forest. I used some brown scatter to form the forest floor, stuck down with NOCH spray adhesive:

Following this I planted the trees, just a small hole pierced through the plaster and the trees inserted without any glue, so they can be recycled if need be at a later date. Any white showing through was touched in with some brown paint:

I then wanted to experiment with some ground cover. On my previous layout I used static grass (a fantastic product) but this time I wanted to achieve a less intense finish, to make the scenery more panoramic. I'm using various woodlen scenics flock and foliage products. I want an autumnal look, so I'm using burnt grass as the base and mixing in various greens and browns to give it variation in colour and texture:

I'm going to build it up in layers until I get the depth and finish I want.
I've not used NOCH spray adhesive for ground cover before, it's excellent, it gives a thin coating, and is great for overlapping edges etc, it's quite accurate to apply too.

I'm waiting for it all to dry now to see how it looks.
I also have an amazing chemical headach from the spray :? which I hope will wear off soon too.

May post some more pics later.

Pete

edwardholmes91

Postby edwardholmes91 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:08 pm

Wow, looking forward to the next batch of pictures! Looking really good. I am intending on using 3M spray adhesive. Not sure how well it works, but I have used it in the past with other hobbies to great effect, sticks paper together really well. How cost effective is the Noch spray? The 3M that I have bought is primarily for gluing textures to greyboard when making Scalescenes kits, but mine cost £13 for 400ml.

Pete

Postby Pete » Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:15 pm

Hi

I'm not exactly sure of the cost, I bought it a few years ago when I was making some sea grass trees. It covers so thinly that I thin ka tin will go a long way. That said I'll probably still use PVA on some sections and use the spray for the large areas.

The 3M spray, is that photo mount spray?

Pete

dr5euss

Postby dr5euss » Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:26 pm

Last edited by dr5euss on Fri May 27, 2016 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pete

Postby Pete » Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:39 pm

You sure you're not modelling California?

Give it chance, these are but the first layers!

Pete

edwardholmes91

Postby edwardholmes91 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:24 pm

No, not the photo mount in the red can, mine is a blue and silver can, it is called: "3M Scotch Weld Spray Mount".

I got it form a craft store but I am sure you can get it cheaper elsewhere:

3M Scotch-Weld Spray Mount 400ml

It is £3.90 postage, but I am sure if you bought two it wouldbe worth it.

I HAVE NEVER USED THIS TO GLUE FLOCK, SCATTER ETC. I ONLY PLAN ON USING IT, I DONT KNOW HOW WELL IT WILL WORK! :)

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:46 pm

Excellent pictures - and glad to see things moving again. I'm looking forward to future visits to this thread.

holmedwa04 wrote:No, not the photo mount in the red can, mine is a blue and silver can, it is called: "3M Scotch Weld Spray Mount".

I bought some of that 3m Spray Mount for my first attempt at making small trees and bushes a couple of days ago: they were tacky for about 12-hours afterwards - but I've just given them a good flick-of-the-finger and shaken them about a bit - and the foliage seems well and truly stuck. I plan at some point to see if it works for static grass too - so I'll be interested to hear how you get on.

Pete

Postby Pete » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:14 pm

Hi

Been away for the weekend so no progress, but had some goodies waiting for me when I got home:

My station building and goods shed.

A couple of new wagons for the stock.

Sorry for the picture quality, I'll try to take some of the wagons on some track soon.

Pete

Raider

Postby Raider » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:17 pm

Nice additions there Pete.

Hope you had a good trip

Chris

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”