Pete's new N-gauge Layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
joshing_man

Postby joshing_man » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:18 pm

Well who would have thought it.....a layout of Pete's with a loop. :shock: I know it was threatened but to actually see a train go round in a loop, what is the world coming to? :wink:

Looking great as usual Pete and thanks for the photo memories some great pics of a great layout!

Andrew
The Original Smiling Man With Train (SMWT):

Lofty

Postby Lofty » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:05 am

Hi Pete

With ‘far too much’ drivel on the site it takes something special to entice me to post…

I loved the Holstenberg Gallery, a cracking set of pics 8)

Lofty

Pete

Postby Pete » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:22 am

but returning to the business in hand - Pete, I notice that there are no guards vans at the ends of your goods trains (as in British practice), but at rough thirds through the assembly are what look like guards vans with birdcage observation points ... My question is am I correct in assuming these are guards vans and that positioning them at regular intervals through a goods train was the standard practice ? Did they do it this way for double safety ? Or because the braking ability was lower so more were required ? Or am I barking up the wrong tree ?

Southernboy

The practice was not to have guards vans as we know them. Instead note the green wagon known as PWG prior to the locomotive,

this served the same role; also as I understand it, it was the guards responsibility to spot the signals, thus the raised roof with a view past the loco. As there were no air brakes on the wagons special versions of most wagons were built that contained a brake box and a guy would sit in them and apply the brakes as required. Apparently there were ratios of braked to unbraked wagons depending opn the routes, although the wagons could also be used without the brakeman. This seems to me to be a atrange practice as it would involve some poor blokes being sat in these things in all weathers for hours at a time. I have read about the practice, but have never seen a photograph of a manned brake box, although I have read (possibly white myth) that they were known to freeze to death on occassions.

Well who would have thought it.....a layout of Pete's with a loop

Andrew

I know, I'm sorry, I've let my fans down, I said on many occasions I would rather chew my leg off at he knee than have a loop. However, in my defence, I don't intend to run trains all the way round, as part of the loop will be the fiddle yard, so the trains will stop, be held for a bit and then re-enter the scene. So I feel it's more a continuous end-end :wink:

Lofty

Kind words, how we miss the old days eh? That said there are some splendid layouts on show on NRM at the moment, the standard has definitely upped a notch.

Pete
It's the nature of evolution
The dinosaurs went to Hell

Lee

Postby Lee » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:46 pm

Hi Pete,

The last pic is brilliant as usual it will be great for you to have a loop :wink: 8)

Cant wait to see some more :wink:

Lee
My N Gauge Layout.

Sunshine In The Lakes <<<<< Old layout no more

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=44159 <<<<< Back to the Lakes (New Layout 2013)

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”