Pete's new N-gauge Layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Pete

Pete's new N-gauge Layout

Postby Pete » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:44 am

Hi

Just to prove to some members that I do actually model, and don't just talk about it, here's my latest efforts, I've been working on it slowly for about 6 weeks now.

After many false starts with other things (some still in progress, but put to the bottom of the pile), I thought it time to get back to my main interest, pre war German N-gauge. The shed has had a lick of paint too since I took up my old layout about 18 months ago.

This is a step beyond my previous Bavarian terminous, this time it's a Northern German, double track passing station, based loosely on a place called Ahrdorf.

Here's the prototype:

and this is current progress:

It'll run around all 4 sides of my shed, but only three sides will be scenic. All the trackwork is PECO code 55, with electrofrog points.

Pete
It's the nature of evolution
The dinosaurs went to Hell

Terrier

Postby Terrier » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:03 am

Hey Pete! That's fantastic! and i'm jealous to, seems like a really good space you have there! :D

Appleton

Postby Appleton » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:14 am

Yes, it's a good space to model in. I like the trackwork, the curves look very realistic

Class 60

Postby Class 60 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:38 am

Looking great so far Pete, My Father is interested in it as well only because its set in Germany :) (he's a bit of a WW2 nut, enjoys anything german and Nazi :roll: he's even got a german helmet :shock: )

anyway will look forward to more progress and pics :wink:

Adam

Sprintex

Postby Sprintex » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:50 pm

Certainly different, don't see many foreign country layouts from British modellers :wink:

Paul

westbrom

Postby westbrom » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:00 pm

Great work sofar Pete, shall look forward to your updates.

Neil

dr5euss

Postby dr5euss » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:20 pm

Looking good Pete :shock: What shade of blue is that on the walls, looks brilliant?

Lee

Postby Lee » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:23 pm

Hi Pete,

Nice to see another great Layout in the making will enjoy casting my eyes on this post :wink: :D

Lee
My N Gauge Layout.

Sunshine In The Lakes <<<<< Old layout no more

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=44159 <<<<< Back to the Lakes (New Layout 2013)

Pete

Postby Pete » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:27 pm

Kind words George.

To answer your question, it's Dulux trade, Cornflour blue, matt emulsion. It's the colour of my kitchen too.

The gray trackbed colour for your reference is a 'Heritage Colour', French Grey, again a matt emulsion.

:|

Pete

dr5euss

Postby dr5euss » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:31 pm

Fascinating.

I'd never have thought to go for the trade version, I will definitely do so in future because the finish looks far superior.

Presuming your kitchen is of plastered finish, did you note any difference in absorbancy betwixt the two materials?

I can't help but think that French grey is a little too blue. Would the German grey have been more prototypical considering the subject matter?

Watching with interest,

thebuisnessman

Postby thebuisnessman » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:33 pm

Tis a large work of art you're building Pete.

I get confusered though, how many layouts DO you have? What happens to the old ones?

Pete

Postby Pete » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:12 am

Hi

At present I am working exclusivly on this new N-gauge layout, and can't see me doing anything else for some time.

My original N-layout I split up, giving the terminus section away as a working module and scrapped the rest.

A pic of Holstenberg for the uninitiated:

I have a On30 diorama about 2/3rds complete which you can just about see under the framework in the pics above.

I was in the middle of an HO layout, but decided to call a halt as it was just diversionary from my real interest in German N, I have the baseboard, but I've stripped it ready for recycling, probably using it to form the final side of this N-gauge layout. I've sold off some of the stock, but kept the locos.

I've a few small ongoing projects I return to now and then for fun too, and a few in planning :wink:

My intention with this layout is to get the track down and running by the Autumn. I can then decide if I'm going to scratchbuild my buildings or buy kits.

George:
Presuming your kitchen is of plastered finish, did you note any difference in absorbancy betwixt the two materials?

It's all a matter of preperation and good sealing. :)

Pete

Pete

Postby Pete » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:44 pm

I found this pic of another layout I built sme time ago, thought I'd post it up:

Pete

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:49 pm

hi pete
i hate to say it but i will be watching how this one progress :D
i'm still a bit peeved the snow one never worked out for you, i thought it was very promising
have you got any other shots of the prototype that you could share to get an idea of what is inspiring you?
michael

Pete

Postby Pete » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:14 pm

Michael

Funny you should ask....but yes I do. This is why I like modelling a prototype, you get the fun of researching a real place, and it's the little details that add atmosphere:

These pics span a period from 1930-about 1970, they give a real feel of the area. Seeing real people in the pics puts it all into context. It's often too easy to forget the context in which trains run, they are part of a bigger scene, it's trying to strike the balance that gives me the kick in modelling.

I particularly like the pic of the woman filling her coffee pot from the pump. It was taken in 1943 so not the happiest of times, but she's just going about an everyday activity, and is momentarily oblivious to the disaster going on probably less than 100 miles away. (Sorry a bit prossaic there :oops: )

Pete

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”