Jons Layout - Barnfield

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
B@rney

Jons Layout - Barnfield

Postby B@rney » Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:44 pm

Hi guys,

I posted my proposed layout plan in the other area, and got some nice positve comments, so thought Id post a few pics of how its looking now.

I looking into electic points and wiring etc. at the moment, also need to purchase some additional track risers to complete the loop at the higher level, until I get around to making it look a bit more scenic.

Plan to replace all the hornby points with peco, but will only be able to do them slowly so not to alert my good lady that I spending too much.

leopard

Postby leopard » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:00 pm

looking pretty good, you've got a hell of a lot further than me ;-)

nice range of stock too, and by the look of it the ability to run decent length trains as well

looking very nice

PTmodeller

Postby PTmodeller » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:06 pm

Very nice! Do you have a plan? How big is it? What era?

Class 60

Postby Class 60 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:28 pm

Good start there Jon, looks like you got a big space to play with! Nice to see a triang/Hornby class 37 in the corner of the 1st pic. :)

Will look forward to more pics and progress

Adam

Crazy_Dave

Postby Crazy_Dave » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:35 pm

From what I can see it looks to be a really interesting layout.
Love to see the plan (If you have one) and know the size.

Keep up the great work :D
Dave...
http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... php?t=8031

"...Everything at this station is either too old or won't work... and you're both! ..."(Will Hay ~ Oh Mr Porter)

Derek

Postby Derek » Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:16 pm

Good start there B@rney! Wow, you've got loads of space!

What controller are you using?

westbrom

Postby westbrom » Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:35 pm

Hi B@rney, great amount of space you have there. Would like to see a plan of the layout if poss, looks an interesting layout.

Neil

surf1845

Postby surf1845 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:47 pm

Hi B@rney. I'm looking forward to see how this layout grows. You're so lucky to have so much space.
Les

Visit my N gauge layout

What's that burning smell....?

Danny

Postby Danny » Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:51 pm

Hey B@rney

Nice looking layout coming allong there. I like the pointwork in the second photo down Image.

Danny.

B@rney

Postby B@rney » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:25 am

Sizes.. its 8' x approx 10'. with a 2'x4' hole in the middle.

I am a little restricted with reach as the garage walls unhelpfully get in the way.

My car doesnt fit in even when it empty because of the freezer, so have built the boards high enough to allow me to fit all the "garage rubbish" underneath.

Plan....

The red track is raised up, this loop allows trains to run from and to the terminus (on the left) without having to stop and reverse back in. The through station at the top will also allow me to have trains in the station without impedeing the mainlines, which will allow me to run from the inside track onto the outside and over the loop and into the terminus, then allowing the outside mainline train to continue on its circuits.

I wanted a combination of conitinous running, with bit of shunting (a new thing to me) and most importantly stations that are big enough to accomodate a reasonable length train, (3 carriages and a loco)

Other questions:

Era.. I dont have one, I like to run whatever I like, although saying that I do like the BR blue over the regionalised railways. (and EWS too)

Controller, I have a H&M Duette for the mainlines, and I am keeping my eye out for a single one for the sidings, but Im not in any hurry.

I also tend to purchase most of my stuff from Ebay.. (what a great place), but I dont like to pay too much for stuff, some may call me tight, I like frugal. Some stuff seems to sell for ridiculous prices, i fail to understand why people will pay more for something on ebay than it would cost them to drive to the shop down the road and buy it in person.

Ok rant over. (till next time.)

westbrom

Postby westbrom » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:38 am

Very nice plan B@rney.

Neil

Sprintex

Postby Sprintex » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:36 pm

WOW, that's a big one you've got there B@rney!!! :shock: :lol:

Nice trackplan, different to the norm of lots of loops :wink:

Paul

Jimbob

Postby Jimbob » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:40 pm

I wish i had space for a layout like that! Can't wait to see it progress. I agree with the ebay rant, there some bargains on there!
YOU GOT YOU GOT YOU GOT WHAT I NEED!

My shelf layout - http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... php?t=8112

B@rney

Progress..

Postby B@rney » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:49 pm

Hi all,

Update time, Well I the inside loop is now secured to the deck and wired up properly, with all new fish-plates. Peco points have started ariving care of ebay.

Ok this evening i thought id have a bash at the incline at the back of the layout that brings you up and back over the track to desend again before the station, but now in the oposite direction, Orginally id thought about just using the hornby track risers, but have now decided that it would a) look better with a proper floor, b) be cheaper to use stuff I already have and I can also then use the support walls from scale scenes, plus the other side will most likely stay with the supports as its all a little bit tight on space.

very very rough at the moment, but also made a test to check that my locos could pull the coaches up, as you can see they can make it even with a double length rake (layout only designed for 3 coach trains)

While I had the camera out I also took a few shots of my diesel loco collection which has grown a fair bit since this year. Fav loco though has to be the nice new Vitrains 37428, I not going to buy any more locos from ebay, learnt my lesson now with how well a nice new one that hasnt been run to death by someone else goes.

Thats about it for now..

As allways comments, questions and general abuse (or praise) welcome..

Jon

Class 60

Postby Class 60 » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:51 pm

Coming along nicely there Jon, good progress and a nice collection of locos there - plenty of 37's and a deltic 8)

Keep it up mate

Adam

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”