Hm it smells I think theres an update on Rhys' Sewer Railway

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
mmurnin900

Postby mmurnin900 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:42 pm

The update smeels great :wink: , looking good, they are weathered superbly
Matthew
LFC We've still got 5

British Rail

Postby British Rail » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:44 pm

Hi ya fellas, well tonight I have been lucky enough to find some spare time. My loco chassis arrived so it made sense to make start on the build of the NG loco! I've taken pictures along the way. I haven't finished the loco yet but when I get more established with her I shall give you all an update with pictures! Incase any of you were wondering, I have built/ started to build the loco with Balsa, Plasticard and card. Anyway here are some pictures of my current progress,

Belive it or not, that is my Bachmann gronk next to the loco!

Comments and critiscm welcome as always :) ,

Kindest Regards,

Rhys

dr5euss

Postby dr5euss » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:24 pm

Looking good Rhys, I sure hope thetriangman doesn't stumble into this thread... :shock:

You gonna use the bonnet of the dock shunter as an 0-16.5 bonnet?

My very best regards,

Class 60

Postby Class 60 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:04 pm

Great work there Rhys, its coming along nicely and cant wait to see it weathered because its too clean at the moment :wink:
What colour is it going to be painted in?

Will look forward to some more progress 8)

Best Regards

Adam

zabdiel

Postby zabdiel » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:47 am

Looking good! Little industrial diesels are great.

British Rail

Postby British Rail » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:36 pm

Thanks a lot fellas - George, I'm going to have a little experiment later, I shall chop the dock shunter's body about to get it into a satisfactory position, if it doesn't work I can always plonk the current one back on! Hi Adam, I will be painting her yellow, with lots of oil stains and rust patches :mrgreen: !

Kindest Regards,

Rhys

British Rail

Postby British Rail » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:32 pm

Hi ya fellas, tonight I had a bit of a disaster - I was walking up the garden to the shed with two of my railway's in, I was about halfway up the garden and sliped on a wet paving stone and bang! The loco fell out of my hand as I hit hard on the floor. As I got up the loco was in pieces on the ground, but amazingly the pieces were square pieces exactly how they were before I glued them on! Luckily it was a quick bit of glueing and hey presto, I had a loco just like I had before. Not! The locos motor had split in many different places and many parts were missing! I was searching in the rain for the missing parts but couldn't find them. The motor and surrounding pieces have had it but the chassis is okay. It's lucky with my design that I don't glue the body to the chassis, It's just a little bit of tugging and the body is off. I guess I'll have to search eBay for another dock shunter to use as a donor. the layout is run on dc so the chassis could come in handy. Here are some pictures of the loco before it hit the ground, the loco looks exactly the same now but just doesn't have a motor,

Comments and critiscm welcome as always!

Rhys

davek

Postby davek » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:56 pm

Gutted! What a pity mate - still it looks good and I'm sure you can capitalise upon this event to make it even better!

thebuisnessman

Postby thebuisnessman » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:15 pm

Oh Noes! That sounds dreadful!

I'm sure you'll be able to get another from somewhere. The body of the ''S*** Shunter' looks pretty good though, I like the way how you've used the Card to reprisent bent metal.

A good tip, to make surfaces look more metallic is to use Model Filler (or Poly Filla if you don't have any) to make a slightly rougher and more textured surface. You can see the technique being used here on this 1/76 scale Airfix Mk.II WWI tank here.

HTH, and good luck getting hold of a new motor (and I hope you are OK after your fall!)
Owen

British Rail

Postby British Rail » Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:32 pm

Thanks for that guys! Luckily I didn't hurt myself when i tripped over the paving stone :roll: . Anyway, today I had a bit of spare time so I decided I would construct the sides of the bonnet on the new loco, after completeing the sides I built the exhaust then well ermmmm.... painted the loco! I weathered the loco after painting it, I painted it with this quick drying spray paint I found in the shed! Here are some pictures of todays efforts, I now only have some minor things to do like making two buffing blocks and glueing them on the buffing beams, constructing the interior, putting a driver in etc.

Comments and critiscm welcome as always!

I hope you are all well,

Rhys
Last edited by British Rail on Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

davek

Postby davek » Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:42 pm

Very nice Rhys! Question: Buffers and couplings..?

British Rail

Postby British Rail » Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:45 pm

Hi there Dave, just edited the post! Narrow guge locos generally do not have buffers they have buffing blocks with a thick pin vertically set inside with the chains hanging off.

Hope this helps! I'll try and find you a picture,

Rhys

dr5euss

Postby dr5euss » Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:06 pm

Nice work Rhys, I like that a lot.

My very best regards,

Raider

Postby Raider » Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:08 pm

I guess that must just be on freight wagons then - the above photo was taken on Bala Narrow Gauge Railway

British Rail

Postby British Rail » Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:08 pm

That's good, I thought you might not like the red as tyour normally a yellow fan! Exactly Chris! You can see the 3 link coupling there along with the suzie (In the truck industry we call them suzies but their posh name is an airline).

Rhys
Last edited by British Rail on Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”