The Bambrough & Mallenbourne Junction Garden Railway

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Spavo

Postby Spavo » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:23 am

Great photo's there, the cat looks so comfy under the heat from that lamp, very cute.

Gav.
Watford FC For Me Since 1976

simonboyd

Postby simonboyd » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:12 am

Hi Jules,

Can you explain how the electrics 'cope' outside? Do you use point motors? How do you waterproof them? And how do you protect them from frost damage?

I've been trying to build a model railway in the garage (but the wife bought a new car), then a spare bedroom (but then we got pregnant)! But your thread has got me thinking about going into the great outdoors, but i'm just struggling on how to protect the electrics.

Thanks

Simon
Simon Boyd

Check the progress of the Quern Gecky Model Railway at http://querngecky.webs.com

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:48 am

Hi Simon.

Well I have to admit to using as little pointwork outdoors as possible, It is kept to an absolute minimum and I have not used point motors outdoors. I have found the biggest weak point in using Peco trackwork outdoors is both the over centre spring on the tie bars and the type of rigid plastic used - it becomes even more brittle after a time outdoors, resulting in physical failure of the base around the tie bar area. I would not want that to put you off though and many people have used point motors successfully outdoors, it is merely a personal preference that i avoid complicated pointwork in the outdoor section.

As for electrics, well I use DCC with additional booster points along the track for the running rails and I use a bus wire (like a kind of 12v ring main) for the station lighting running off a Gaugemaster 2amp controller. I have found that there is no need to insulate 12v from the rain as long as soldering and /or physical electric joints are sound.
A voice from the distance said unto me "Smile, things could be worse" so I smiled and lo, things did get worse!

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:50 am

Great photo's there, the cat looks so comfy under the heat from that lamp, very cute.

Yes that's Jenny! She usually uses the station as a springboard to get onto the fence! not bad for a 17 year old moggie I suppose
A voice from the distance said unto me "Smile, things could be worse" so I smiled and lo, things did get worse!

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:53 am

I supose this is the biggest problem with a garden railway, having the wildlife and cats wanting to play.

This may sound daft but I have more problems with snails and bird poo on the line in summer than I do with my cats.... still i suppose you didn't really need to know the graphic details really :shock: :shock: :lol: :) :D

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:37 am

The dark evenings are back Boooooooo! but I'm still out there in the garden.. dark or no dark.

latest vid ... lights n'all

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=KJSGG2vDCi8

enjoy :lol:

Chuffer Chuff

Great Video

Postby Chuffer Chuff » Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:26 pm

:D Hi there...

Brilliant Video!!! Well done, I really like the night time operating! :D I noticed the CAT observing operations :lol:!!!

Are those Xmas lights around the layout?

Great work, well done!!!! :D
"You only get one chance in life, so make the most of it!"

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:53 pm

Thanks .. yeah the cat has got involved once or twice too rather than just observing!

The lights around the layout are indeed a set of Tesco's "value" outdoor christmas lights! They have been working well now for over two years which ain't bad for a fiver really! The station lights are the cheapie chinese 6volt ones you can get off eBay.. I bought 30 for £5..so far i've only used 12 of them and wired them in series of 3 each so they share 12 volts between 3 x 6v bulbs. The result is a pleasing glow without a blinding glare!
:D

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:00 am

Hi Jules

Excellent stuff as ever :)

Re the station: I've been struggling to make a practical design myself for the same reason, though I think I've cracked it now! ;)

You have certainly inspired me to get some lights out there too :D

Cheers fella

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

waz

Postby waz » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:58 am

Hi Jules !!!!

Thanks for that wonderful piece of entertainment !!!

Jenny looks to be a great cat and well used to the railway on her patch.

Happy running this winter.

My Very Best Regards

BILL.

Metadyneman

DISASTER!

Postby Metadyneman » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:08 pm

Thanks Tim & Bill.

Sadly disaster has befallen the line this weekend! My Hornby select DCC unit has given up the ghost (on permanent overload even without being connected to anything!) leaving passengers stranded on platforms and in the dark on trains! The upside of it though has allowed maintenance gangs out to do a bit of track renewing!

A new Select is on it's way and i'll get the faulty one repaired in due course. Services are due back to normal by the end of this week hopefully.

To make matters worse my brand new sound fitted Bachmann 47 which arrived on Friday developed a major mechanical fault and is as we speak on it's way back to Hattons for a replacement. The fault is to do with one of the drive shafts which is slipping on the main motor spindle. As it has only been run in for about an hour on Friday before the problem occurred it's gone back to the shop rather than me investigate.. I do not want to invalidate any guarantee by fiddling with it!

Ho hum! :cry:

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:38 pm

Having looked at, admired and drooled over some of the layout threads on this forum it suddenly occurred to me that there once was a model railway in my loft!(well bits of it are still there in fact) This was the original Mallenbourne Junction station construction started in 1992 and never really finished. It was a 4-circuit layout fictitiously based on a Southern/Western region through station. My interest turned to the garden layout in 2002 and bit by bit the loft layout has been dismantled. It is looking very sad now but all of the baseboards are still there which is gradually nagging at me to resurrect something of the old layout.

What do you reckon guys?

Here are some pics of it in it's heyday..
Pic 1 only the platforms and roads remain now.

Pic 2 Terrier tank brings a steam specialinto mallenbourne junction on the Southern Region lines

Pic3 "Clan Line" sits on the up Waterloo platform while a Thames Turbo can just be glimpsed on the Down Paddington line

Pic 4 Overall view ot the western end of Mallenbourne Junction showing the Western region lines at the back swinging away from the Southern lines. A 170 SWT turbo sits on the up Waterloo platform while a Class 09 has dragged a failed Connex liveried 4-CEP Driving motor into the sidings. Note The Southdown PD3 bus chugging (as they do) up the station approach road

Pic 5 Finally another view of the western end of the station with a steam gala day in full swing on the Southern lines complete with visiting preserved 3 car 1959 stock tube train (Pirate metal kit built by me in 1986!). Meanwhile things running as normal on the WR lines with a Virgin XC service from Manchester heading south Via the WR main line & Reading

This layout did give a lot to the imagination and in a way i do miss it.. It was too big a venture though so it had to go.. I see something smaller being resurrected in the loft one day though.

hope you enjoyed the pics and the journey into Mallenbourne junction :D :wink:

Bushey Troughs

Postby Bushey Troughs » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:57 pm

EXCELLENT....Love the TUBE....... :wink:
COLIN.
“What experience and history teaches us is that people and governments have never learned anything from history, or acted on principles deduced from it”

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:54 pm

Hi Jules

Like the pretext for the first picture! It's almost as though Beeching has put an axe through your loft and created another ghost station ;)

Agree with Bushey re the tube stock! As for the Connex 4-CEP, do you still have the set, only I don't remember it from the Garden Railway pix and vids you've shown (Then again, I can be quite dim ;) )

Cheers fella, hope the lights are still burning bright out there :D

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

Class 60

Postby Class 60 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:51 pm

Great stuff there Jules,
what happened to it anyway? did it fund the garden railway or is parts of it still there?

Anyway will be looking forward to further vids and of the Sound 47 too :wink:

Adam

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”