The Bambrough & Mallenbourne Junction Garden Railway

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:58 pm

Sorry.... :oops: I have just come back from the pub so you probably got the more flowery version of events.. in essence it's made out of very good plywood which has done me proud!
A voice from the distance said unto me "Smile, things could be worse" so I smiled and lo, things did get worse!

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:55 am

There's nowt wrong with flowery! ;)
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:38 pm

Just posted another vid of the railway on youtube.. this time a video for steam lovers!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=qXhYsvjWHYU
A voice from the distance said unto me "Smile, things could be worse" so I smiled and lo, things did get worse!

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:52 am

Hi Jules

Top bombing video matey. Enjoyed that very much! That Baccy 9F looks wonderful. Good to see a Spamcan too :)

I really must do a video when I can :roll: Such a pain not having my own bloomin' camera!

Cheers mate

Tim

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:07 pm

Cheersd Tim... Yes I am erather fond of my new 9F and yes we are all waiting with bated breath for vids of your layout :-)

waz

Postby waz » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:57 pm

Hi Jules !!

So let me get this right. Your track is on quality ply (about 10" wide) and you have that supported on single posts ( about 4" x 4" ). Am I going in the right direction? Or is that too simplified? How high is the track? Sorry to ask all these questions, but you know :wink:. The sun is shining here at the moment :wink:. It does things to mind. Know what I mean. Nudge Nudge, Wink Wink.

My Very Best Regards

BILL.

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:09 am

Well you are not too wrong in your description there Bill. The posts are 2 x 2 though not 4 x 4. The ply is supported underneath by lengths of what would be called 3 by 1 in old money which are attached to the posts and the ply has been screwed down on top of these. The layout is approximately 6 inches higher than knee height (for an average person of 6 foot!). The only difference to the construction above is in the station. This is attached on one side to the fence posts of the garden fence and supported on the outer side by lengths of 2 x 1.

I attempted to make the whole layout as level as possible when built but unfortunately got the height wrong in the shed,(forgot about the supporting woodwork under the ply when measuring the height off the ground in the shed!!) so there is in fact a drop of 1 inch over a length of about 1.5 yards inside the shed and a corresponding incline on the removeable section out of the shed the other end. This does not cause any problems though, especially now I have gone over to DCC.

I hope your inspiration comes to fruition. Garden railways are great and I have got four happy years of enjoyment out of mine. It can be frustrating though, when like this summer you get days of incessant rain!!

Always something to repair or overhaul in the shed though when that happens :-)

waz

Postby waz » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:39 pm

Hi Jules !!!!!!!

Thanks for going to all that trouble to explain. You make it sound so simple, but then I suppose really it is. The more I thinks about it the simpler it gets.

My Best Regards and many thanks

BILL.

Metadyneman

An update

Postby Metadyneman » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:04 pm

Yes it's still up and running.. just about to finish it's 5th season of running so I thought I'd do a celebratory video.

It's blue/grey all the way in this vid.. back to the late 70's with a blue/grey HST and a "stratford" 47

here's the link.

Enjoy

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=kqI8LZgURR8

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:34 am

Hi Jules

Nice little video there my friend. I haven't done anything on my layout for a few weeks and that has just spurred me in to action! Have just been planning the branchline extension and will hope (weather permitting) to do some maintenance tomorrow!

Any chance of a few shots with the night lights on and the sun turned right down? ;)

Cheers fella, lovin' it

Tim

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:32 am

I'll see what I can do.. seeing as it's the right time of year for teatime sunsets :-)

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:34 pm

hi
nice video
how much of the station stuff do you leave outside, the buildings, footbridge and benches? sorry if you've said before..
michael

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:32 am

Well.. to be honest, none of the infrastructure comes indoors. It has to weather the elements come rain shine or snow. If it fails then I look for more robust alternatives... this year saw a new station roof... but I will need to replace that next year because the ply has warped badly! Outdoor railway modelling is just as fun as indoor! :-)

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:41 am

As the dark evenings are now upon us.. I just thought I would share a couple of photos taken on my mobile phone this evening.

I don't let winter beat me if i can help it.. trains were running as normal today :-)

47 063 grinds to a halt on the viaduct before entering the shed. All lights lights ablaze.... who said Heljan lighting wasn't any good? (OK I'm cheating it's on DCC)

Early evening commuter train at Bambrough

In past years I have also had lots of problems with my cats demolishing the station roof... i think I have finally built cat proof canopies for Bambrough station as seen in the following pic!

Oh the joys of outdoor trains he he

m.levin

Postby m.levin » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:04 am

Great pictures.
That cat is a little over scaled! Ok i'll let you shoot me for that one :wink: I supose this is the biggest problem with a garden railway, having the wildlife and cats wanting to play.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”