The Bambrough & Mallenbourne Junction Garden Railway

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Jackstar

Postby Jackstar » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:23 pm

Great vids mate and a fantastic layout. Do you have to check the lines for debris etc before running?

westbrom

Postby westbrom » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:45 pm

Smashing vids, have you re- wheeled the Tri-ang locos :?:

Neil

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:46 pm

Do you have to check the lines for debris etc before running?

Yes every time. It is a must really because there is always a twig or a leaf that has fallen on the line somewhere.

have you re- wheeled the Tri-ang locos

No I haven't re wheeled them. The result of which is they don't like the finer Peco points but I have modified the points so they trundle over them nicely. It doesn't seem to affect the running of the finer scale stuff either such as Heljan & Bachmann locos. Oddly enough I have fitted my triang Mark 1 coaches with the new fine wheels and they cause more problems than the old "steam roller" ones I replaced!
A voice from the distance said unto me "Smile, things could be worse" so I smiled and lo, things did get worse!

Metrocamel

Postby Metrocamel » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:32 pm

Metadyneman wrote:
Yes every time. It is a must really because there is always a twig or a leaf that has fallen on the line somewhere.

Now that's what I call leaves on the line :lol: , Network Rail should learn a thing or two from this Layout!
"Out of commission become a pillbox, out of ammo become a bunker, out of time... become heroes"
Layout updated 18/10/09!
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=5360&p=215267#p215267

peak

Postby peak » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:45 pm

Very nice.
I bet you have hours of fun with that.
Do you run all year round?
2 trains, 2 railroad tracks, one going the other one coming back. Click Clack, Click Clack.
Regards
Andy

http://www.brblue.co.uk

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:54 pm

Yes I run the trains all year round. Strangely enough the track is much more accessible to clean in the winter months as there are no leaves and foliage in the way of it. The shed has a nice little heater inside it so I only need to venture outside if a train derails. I don't normally run trains on very windy or very wet days. I have had problems with ice too in the past. It's a bit like running a real railway he he
A voice from the distance said unto me "Smile, things could be worse" so I smiled and lo, things did get worse!

waz

Postby waz » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:23 pm

Hy Jules !!!

That is a super video. How I envy you.

Could you tell me, how long and how wide is the track run?

My Very Best Regards

BILL.

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:09 pm

Well i've never actually measured how long the run is but if i say I went through just over two boxes of flexi track at 25yds in each box I suppose it must be about 25 yards of double track running line. The width of the track base on the main running lines is about 5 inches minimum expanding to about 18 inches in the station area and inside the shed. My garden is quite small but the railway fits snugly all round the perimiter with a removable section where it crosses the path into the garden. A not to scale plan of the layout can be found here. The plan shows the station area before I extended it on the right hand side with two more tracks used as sidings

Jules

waz

Postby waz » Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:51 pm

Hi Jules !!!

Thanks for all that information. The reason I ask is that I have a very exposed back garden and I'm contemplating putting a railway up there. I say up there cos it's higher than the house and is mainly on a slope. There is a flat section where I may be able, at some time, to site a garden railway. Just need to get of my arris.

My Very Best regards

BILL.

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:18 pm

No problem at all, my pleasure. That goes for anyone else wanting to venture into the garden with their oo gauge railway, i'm happy to give advice. Over the four or five years I have now had mine going i've gained a wealth of knowledge . Usually by trial & error :oops: . I've had a lovely afternoon today dodging the thunder showers trying to run a service... it's been a Lima DMU afternoon! :roll: daren't risk me Bachies & Heljans in torrential rain.

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:06 pm

My Bachmann 9f arrived in the post this morning so I'll be running her in this afternoon.. have camera with me so i'll post some pictures of her and some other recent arrivals includong a rather smart triang class 37 (not the re vamped Hornby one which is plain awful!)

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:12 pm

As promised

9F Rolls into Bambrough station on running in trials

....and in the woods.

For other pics take a look at the "other manufaturers" forum thread under the topic "anyone remember these?". I've posted up a load of pics with my triang stuff on.

Lee

Postby Lee » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:53 pm

Superb video love the railway :wink:
My N Gauge Layout.

Sunshine In The Lakes <<<<< Old layout no more

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=44159 <<<<< Back to the Lakes (New Layout 2013)

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:19 pm

Thanks Lee and thanks to everyone who has responded or taken a gander at the vids. I get great pleasure out of my little garden railway and it is probably the culmination of many, many years of searching for what I really wanted out of a Model railway. I started when i was about 7 with a Triang Hymek and two BR Mk1 coaches and an oval of track. 40 years five house moves and an awful lot of water under the bridge later here I am with my lovely litle twin line "race track" round the garden.

I guarantee there is nothing better on a Saturday afternoon than listening to the football (Hoping of course it's a West Ham match!) Beer in one hand.. Hornby Select (with extended wiring so i can walk round the layout) in the other hand.. slowing all the trains down if a goal looks imminent.

Such is the life of a footie fan who likes trains!

Come on you Irons :-)

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:26 pm

Just to let you all know i'm working on a new vid this evening which hopefully will be ready to put on youtube by the end of the evening.. watch this space. It should be the longest one yet.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”