Dynamite25's OO loft Layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
dynamite25

Dynamite25's OO loft Layout

Post by dynamite25 »

I thought i would start a topic on my layout so here is the updated track plans for my layout but i will also show what the track plans were like before the changes.

This is before
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v687/ ... nished.jpg

And this is after but there are two plans

LOWER LEVEL WITH PART OF UPPER LEVEL
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v687/ ... kplan3.jpg

UPPER LEVEL WITH ALL OF LOWER LEVEL APART FROM TUNNEL SECTION
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v687/ ... kplan0.jpg
Last edited by dynamite25 on Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
saslord
Site Admin

Post by saslord »

All I can say is very complicated. You going to use DCC? Have you created a control panel for all those points yet that would be interesting to see.

I better start planning my new layout. Think its going to be simple as I don’t want to take up all the space in a room. Going to run it around the edge with removable bridges where the door and windows are.

I can't wait to get mine started.

I eagerly await updates.
:D :D
dynamite25

Post by dynamite25 »

Nope it's going to be all DC controlled with my H&M 2000 controllers and H&M 4000 add-on controller,i have a removeable section where the bedroom door was so i can get in and out of the room without crawling under the layout.

All the points will be controlled by peco point motors and peco switches and with two CDU units which i will get in october,aswell as the extra track needed for the changes as i have some spare track allready for it.I also need to buy two sheets of 6mm ply for the upper level station.
Lee

Post by Lee »

Lo dynamite hows it going this lee i aint talked to you for ages on msn. hows the model doing the last u said is you took it up and was redoing it ?, i totally changed mine in the shed i will get some pics uploaded very soon of my progress. I chat to you soon on msn bye bye for now :wink:
dynamite25

Post by dynamite25 »

Hi lee the layout is going great made some more changes to the track plan also the layout will be moved to a garage in the back garden when we get one either before christmas or after,as my dad has to get the VW beetle he is restoring to a rolling chassis then that will be moved to our garage down the road then the garage for my layout can be bought and put up ready for my layout to go in.
Last edited by dynamite25 on Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
dynamite25

Post by dynamite25 »

This is the Garage we will be getting
Lee

Post by Lee »

Wow seems a nice size garage :wink: the layout will be superb talk to you soon :D
dynamite25

Post by dynamite25 »

Well today i had to re-check what track i need for the changes and it is less than i thought so i can get most of it when i'm on holiday and when i come back i just need to buy 4 left-hand points and 3 long straights,as the track i will get on holiday will cost me £65 but hoping to get is for less if i can.
saslord
Site Admin

Post by saslord »

Hornby or Peco Points???? That is the question
dynamite25

Post by dynamite25 »

Hornby as i have no problems with them but i did with there old type points but the new style ones are fine no problem what so ever.
Mark

Post by Mark »

When you say DC controlled, am right to think that the voltage is set constant right across the layout and that the specific trains have built in receivers?

I have read about this, Digital Command Control. Is it as simple as it sounds, do you power the entire layout 100% all the time and then control the train rather than the voltage on the track? It sounds great, I would assume that the cost is the draw back, but that the control is much easier, am I right?

As I will have a large layout (eventually) I guess that DCC would be easier for me, rather than the standard or old fashioned method and keep tripping things out? But how do you actually control the trains, I assume you have a receiver in the train with a coded controller for that train attached to a power supply? Is the signal sent via the track or wirelessly? Could someone explain to me how it works please?

Thanks,
Mark
dynamite25

Post by dynamite25 »

No DC is what you have with standard controllers where the voltage changes with the controller knob and DCC has a constant power to the layout and doesn't change and all loco have a decoder fitted,but my layout is standard DC controlled as i like it that way and it is easier for me and i wouldn't change for anything.Plus my layout is controlled by two Hornby H&M 2000 controllers and one H&M 4000+ add-on's controller.
dynamite25

Post by dynamite25 »

For more info on DCC control look at this website http://www.wiringfordcc.com/
Mark

Post by Mark »

Dynamite, you must have just editted your previous forum entry, because I was just about to reply to what you had just written and then you changed it.

So we have DC (direct current) and DCC (digital command control) methods of control?

I know that as a kid we had DC control and I remember it being difficult to control multiple engines and having to isolate track all over the place. I guess that DCC probably stops all that hassle, so why would someone use the old method on a large layout when DCC is available, is it cost alone?

I will take a look at that link you have put in this forum and that may help me with my question. Can anyone give the pros and cons to DC and DCC please?

Thanks
dynamite25

Post by dynamite25 »

Sorry about the post when i read what i posted but i didn't like how i put it so i changed what i typed also hornby points today are self isolating points and it's is cheaper for DC than DCC has you have to buy decoders for all locos being used and DCC can cost into the hundreds of pounds.

I find controlling my layout easy on DC as i have the 2 H&M 2000 controllers for the 4 main tracks and the station when built and the H&M 4000+ controller for the diesel depot and steam loco shed area.