Frankland

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
mumbles

Re: Frankland

Postby mumbles » Mon May 05, 2008 12:50 am

I'm on board for the ride :D

GROTLAND

Postby GROTLAND » Mon May 05, 2008 1:47 am

Very, very interesting. I'm liking your inspirations very much, and those photographs. For me up north, it's so easy to forget what modernist architecture still exists around the capital and what wonders have been created for suburbia. That signal centre, could it be 1940's? built just after the war. The Surbiton station building, it's almost Russian, beautiful condition and very elegant, I never knew it existed.
Needless to say, I'll be waiting for you to start your new project, I'm sure it will be excellent. I still have an art deco dream; to build The Midland Hotel in Morecambe(re-opens very soon) with the railway terminus opposite, how it was and still should be....hopeless romantic.
Good Luck Pal!

DriffCharlie

Postby DriffCharlie » Mon May 05, 2008 9:31 am

I still have an art deco dream; to build The Midland Hotel in Morecambe(re-opens very soon) with the railway terminus opposite, how it was and still should be....hopeless romantic.

Now that would be class, I remember it all well from my childhood, before the town became " God's waiting room for the elderly" :cry: :cry: :cry:

Charlie

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Mon May 05, 2008 10:40 am

GROTLAND wrote:Very, very interesting. I'm liking your inspirations very much, and those photographs. For me up north, it's so easy to forget what modernist architecture still exists around the capital and what wonders have been created for suburbia. That signal centre, could it be 1940's? built just after the war. The Surbiton station building, it's almost Russian, beautiful condition and very elegant, I never knew it existed.
Needless to say, I'll be waiting for you to start your new project, I'm sure it will be excellent. I still have an art deco dream; to build The Midland Hotel in Morecambe(re-opens very soon) with the railway terminus opposite, how it was and still should be....hopeless romantic.
Good Luck Pal!

Here's a link here to pictures of Surbiton Station.

I think the Midland Hotel has been used as a film set before ? I'm sure I've seen it, but I've not been to Morecambe. However, having seen the hotel is being restored and opening soon I may have to find an excuse to go and stay, it's simply irresistible :) You must build one on your layout - it would be such a stark and elegant counterpoint to the rest of your layout (not that dark and dirty doesn't have a beauty all of it's own :) )

One of the best resources I've found for period pictures is the London Transport Museum Photographic Collection. It's great for studying things outside the station and line-side fence: vehicles, road markings, traffic signs and signals (or to note that there where virtually none!) ... types and styles of shop fronts (often very cluttered), etc. Similarly I've just discovered The Topical Press archive a photographic agency that was active until the late 1950s - I'm sure I'll find more inspiration and amusement there.

If you think the style of Woking signal box is late 40s or after, I may look for something a little earlier.

Thanks

GROTLAND

Postby GROTLAND » Tue May 06, 2008 2:43 am

Hi Southern Boy. The link to Surbiton station was great. A true survivor! and not just the main building. So nice to see the curves on the platform buildings and the shops. That booking hall with the huge windows..wow. Funds were not so great in those days, so the architects used other angles such as fine window frames,open spaces, pastel colours and took into account how the sun light would enter the interior. I would love to build a big hotel in the 30's style but I don't have a suitable spot on my layout( It would have to face to sea, so you'd only see one side) I will build one though! There's another big one at Bexhill(I think)
The Midland was used as a film set at least once to my knowledge. An episode of Poirot was shot there, and is well worth hunting down. The design was inspired by the bridge of a Cunard liner, I believe, and it had sculptures by Eric Gill inside with lots of sea horses. There was a painting of Neptune on the roof of the cylinder that housed the grand staircase( you can imagine the fine bannister rails) I was lucky enough to get the bridal suite to myself with fine views from the balcony over the bay, just before it closed and run some film off there. She was in a very sorry state indeed!. It's amazing it will re-open, considering the lack of interest Morecambe has as a resort and the attractions have been demolished too such as the fun fair, boasting Britains oldest rollercoaster...all gone around the time the hotel shut.
Sorry, I'm waffling now. Keep us up to date with any new plans you have and post more pictures if you have them, especially the ones from this period hee hee.
Cheers!

kit_friend

Postby kit_friend » Tue May 06, 2008 7:37 am

All looking gorgeous as ever - the plans for the Midland Hotel back in 1:1 land look amazing too!

I've got an Eric Gill sculpted relief panel in my old studio at college! Alas it's not very deco but still fun.

K

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Tue May 06, 2008 8:48 am

I found some images of the Midland Hotel here and here if you haven't seen them already (or for anyone else that's interested ... ) :)

AllAboardHarrison

Postby AllAboardHarrison » Mon May 12, 2008 9:57 am

Man that looks good!

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”