Slow progress on a Norwegian layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
rosenblad

Re: Slow progress on a Norwegian layout

Postby rosenblad » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:05 pm

Hi!

While working on the model railway today, I had the most pleasant surprise! My wife took an interest in the scenic side of things and asked if I wanted some help! :lol: I accepted her offer without hesitation, as my scenery capabilities are rubbish! Some days are definitely better than others!

The electric power system is starting to get nearly complete now. It's so nice to control all point motors from the DCC unit without having to build a devoted control panel. 8)

Best Wishes,
Tom
Carpe Diem!

rosenblad

Postby rosenblad » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:58 pm

Hi!

I've been working on the electric side of things lately and now some of my structures have lighting. The pub is looking very wam and cozy compared to all the wite stuff outside my railway room window! Here it is:

Scenery is progressing very slowly too, and as the filler I use is white, that looks like snow as well! I really do look forward to adding some green colour to the layout!

Best Wishes,
Tom
Carpe Diem!

lmsrail

Postby lmsrail » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:08 pm

Are you going to give the pub a car park andsome outdoor lighting?
Regards, Jed

rosenblad

Postby rosenblad » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:21 pm

Hi lmsrail!

Yes, I will be having both. I have an old style gas lamp post by Brawa that needs to be installed. A car park is important too because I love to collect road vehicles as well as the flanged wheel types. Maybe a taxi would be very appropriate!

Best Wishes,
Tom
Carpe Diem!

rosenblad

Postby rosenblad » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:50 pm

Hi!

I finally got around to buying a frame for the certificate showing that SON was here! I put it on the wall just above my workbench, and I think it looks rather good! Here's a pic:

There hasn't been any other activity on the railway for a long time now. The temperature in the railway room is too high during the summer, so that time of year is best spent outdoors. The main job until now has been to clean the outside walls of the house with a high-pressure washer. The rest of our time has been spent by the barbeque on the terrace, under the parasol. Life is not too bad, is it? :D

Best Wishes,
Tom
Carpe Diem!

rosenblad

Postby rosenblad » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:55 pm

Hi!

I have come to the conclusion that I have bitten off more than I could chew, so I have finally decided to dismantle this railway in favour of a design that stands a chance of actually getting finished! :roll: The project has taught me a lot, so I guess it hasn't been a total waste of time! 8)

Best Wishes,
Tom
Carpe Diem!

egroeg93

Postby egroeg93 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:51 pm

Hope you dont regret the decsion, was looking fantastic ;)

good luck with a new project!

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:13 pm

Hello rosenblad,

that's a difficult decision you've made, but probably one you'll later be pleased you made. There's no point in soldiering on with something you've lost heart in.
Better to start afresh with a clean page and accumulated knowledge so you can advance with confidence :)

I'll look forward to seeing your new plans in due course :)

rosenblad

Postby rosenblad » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:12 am

SouthernBoy wrote:Hello rosenblad,

that's a difficult decision you've made, but probably one you'll later be pleased you made. There's no point in soldiering on with something you've lost heart in.
Better to start afresh with a clean page and accumulated knowledge so you can advance with confidence :)

I'll look forward to seeing your new plans in due course :)

Hi SouthernBoy!

Thank you for the encouragement! It was indeed a difficult decision, and it took me a month of pondering before finally reaching it. I got quite attatched to it after all those hours, but I think it's time to move on, avoiding all the problems of the old one! Now I just need to check all those millions of track plans I've accumulated after 50 years in the hobby! :roll:

Best Wishes,
Tom
Carpe Diem!

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:02 pm

I know how you feel - it can be agonising to think of all the work you've put in and thinking it's all gone to waste - I went through the same process myself. But it hasn't been a waste because you now have a big pool of accumulated knowledge, and the opportunity to build something more pleasing and satisfying without any of the dissatisfactions of before :)

My one piece of advice would be to really take your time with every step of your new layout. Do not proceed to each next step until you are 100% satisfied with the one you have in hand :) That's my motto anyway :)

I wish you a happy fresh start!

rosenblad

Postby rosenblad » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:38 pm

Work on demolishing this layout has started. The quality of the work done during construction is evident but when I built it I didn't think I would kill it so soon! Here's the last photo ever:

I'll be sad to see it go but it is a new beginning! :D
Carpe Diem!

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:53 pm

Demolition seems to bring vast amounts of debris - messy old job !!
I wonder how many complex designs meet their fate before completion ....... I bet it's well over 60%
Anyway keep us informed of how you're progressing.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

rosenblad

Postby rosenblad » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:46 am

Dad-1 wrote:Demolition seems to bring vast amounts of debris - messy old job !!
I wonder how many complex designs meet their fate before completion ....... I bet it's well over 60%
Anyway keep us informed of how you're progressing.

Geoff T.

Yes, it's incredibly messy, and I'm sure I'm not alone! I will keep you informed of my progress with the new layout. I will scrap the plan I presented in the "planning" forum, favouring a much more simple solution. At the end of the day it's all about running our trains and getting it finished! :D
Carpe Diem!

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”