Slow progress on a Norwegian layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
rosenblad

Postby rosenblad » Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:08 pm

Hi!

It’s a long time since I’ve written anything here but that will hopefully change now that the holidays (this year we went to Austria) are done! I have just started working on the future station area. The chipboard is in place and I am trying to figure out where the points are supposed to be. When that is done the trackbed will be cut to shape and fastened to the risers with screws. Here's a photo of the chipboard before cutting:

The station building will be Güglingen by Faller, a kit that has been waiting to be built for several years!

Best Wishes,
Tom

Farken

Postby Farken » Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:37 pm

just seen this thread, very good and complex layout. Have you made others before this one as difficult?

rosenblad

Postby rosenblad » Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:20 pm

Hi Craig!

Yes, I have built several layouts in the past. You must remember that I too started out with a 4'X8' board. I think it's important that you don't overdo things before you gain some experience! I have been a railway modeller for 50 years!

To quote your signature, "Model Railway Newbie - Daft and Obvious Questions at full steam!" - there are no daft questions, so keep them coming! :D

Best Wishes,
Tom

rosenblad

Postby rosenblad » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:56 pm

Hi!

Not much has happened since September, but here we go! I have made a feeble start on what will (I hope) be some scenery. The core is made of 20mm and 30mm polystyrene sheet cut to appropriate sized pieces covered with polyurethane foam from the builders' merchant. Polyurethane cement or low temp hot glue is used for all joints between polystyrene pieces and between polystyrene and wood. Here's a photo:

After the polystyrene pieces have been covered with the polyurethane foam trimmed to its final shape the ground will be painted in an earth-like colour, covered with PVA glue, and "grassed" with an electrostatic applicator. 8)

Best Wishes,
Tom
Carpe Diem!

santene

Postby santene » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:04 pm

first time ive seen this layout and i must say wow that is a hell of a lot of carpenting
proud modeller jake also known as Duke Jake the Bewildered of Mousehole by Sea :D

anyone got n gauge track i can buy

rosenblad

Re: Slow progress on a Norwegian layout

Postby rosenblad » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:56 pm

Hi!

Things are moving very slowly these days, but here is at last some progress! This stretch of trackwork is fastened with acrylic compound, a substance I have never used for modelling. It seems to work on other people's layouts so I thought why not try it on mine? To keep the track down on the roadbed while the acrylic compound sets I grabbed the nearest thing I had - a six-pack of lager! :D Here's proof:

There is a definite chill in the air now, but that is not necessarily a bad thing, as winter is a good time for modelling!

Best Wishes,
Tom
Carpe Diem!

lmsrail

Postby lmsrail » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:27 am

You shouldnt post pics like that,
it makes my mouth water! :D
Regards, Jed

rosenblad

Postby rosenblad » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:57 am

Hi lmsrail!

Yes, they do look rather nice! I don't think they have to be that cold for this paticular job though! :D

Best Wishes,
Tom
Carpe Diem!

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:42 pm

This is the first time I've come across this thread, and I must say - WOW :shock: . The standard of carpentry alone is astonishing, but to see such a phenomenally complicated trackplan come together apparently without mishap is unbelievable! Will be keeping a very close, if envious, eye on this one!

Fantastic!

Gavin

frolly

Postby frolly » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:17 pm

First time i have seen this thread too!

some great work

and bloody fantastic ideas, I'll be starting my layout soon, some of your photo's will help me loads!!

i like the beer holder, think i'll have a few of them on my layout too! :wink:

Keep up the good work, i'll be looking back from time to time.
Frolly from Derby

beerandpies

Postby beerandpies » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:25 pm

I tried that method on my track... Unfortunately as the night went on the weight became less and less and the rails lifted... Not sure way... :oops: *hic*
cheers, Mark.
Scragg End

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:44 pm

rosenblad wrote:Things are moving very slowly these days ...

Yes, well is it surprising with that amount of beer ? :shock:

rosenblad

Postby rosenblad » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:02 pm

Hi!

I have added curtains underneath the layout to hide all the junk that naturally collects in such a fantastic storage area! The plastic storage boxes with wheels are an excellent choice for shoving under the layout! The addition of some wagon and loco builders' plates and a high voltage warning sign on the fascia all add to the atmosphere in the railway room. The photo speaks for itself:

Best Wishes,
Tom
Carpe Diem!

lmsrail

Postby lmsrail » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:33 pm

Very nice adds the finishing touch.
Is that a beer holder is spy!
Regards, Jed

rosenblad

Postby rosenblad » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:20 pm

Hi!

We had our first snow yesterday. That's a sure sign that the railway modelling season has started in earnest! The station trackwork has been put off for a long time because it's a bit difficult to get at but now it's done - what a relief! The track is fastened with polyurethane cement. This layout is in many ways experimental :idea: as I have been trying out many new ideas, materials and methods during its construction. It's the first time I build a layout by glueing the track entirely without track pins. The scenery is built using a combination of polystyrene sheet and polyurethane foam as used in the building industry. This is then covered with a layer of filler painted with earth-colour before applying the usual scenic scatter materials.

Best Wishes,
Tom
Carpe Diem!

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”