Slow progress on a Norwegian layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
live-frog

Postby live-frog » Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:29 am

Great result with the tunnel liner Tom . I really do like of those NOHAB locos , I particularly like th SNCB & CFL liveries.
I may give your uncoupling idea a try as I also have a mix of t/l and nem from various sources.
Best of luck
Ron

rosenblad

Postby rosenblad » Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:43 pm

Hi!

Thank you all for your nice comments!

Dave:

I like your intercom idea but I think you should make a tea mug holder anyway because you need a good place to put your mug while you're enjoying it! :D

Yes, I really do like to work on a clean table. There is nothing more frustrating than having to search for the materials and tools you need for a job, it seems such a waste of time! As I was a maintenance engineer working on aircraft I guess a tidy workplace is still in the blood. :wink:

Ron:

I agree with you about the NOHABs. It's one of my favourite diesels too! The uncoupling tool is something you won't regret making, I use mine a lot. :D

Tomorrow we're flying to Dublin where we start a trip around Ireland that will last a week!

Best Wishes,
Tom

Crazy_Dave

Postby Crazy_Dave » Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:57 pm

I tend to drink my tea as soon as it is made...scalding hot is how I like it. :wink:
(If I put it down I tend to forget about it, and it gets too cold to drink).

I wish I could keep my work area like yours Tom, cos even with half a dozen tools on the table I am unable to find what I am after... :lol:

Have a great time in Ireland :D
Dave...
http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... php?t=8031

"...Everything at this station is either too old or won't work... and you're both! ..."(Will Hay ~ Oh Mr Porter)

Derek

Postby Derek » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:17 am

rosenblad wrote:I thought I'd show you a photo of my track cleaning wagon. It was made by Roco and originally equipped with an abrasive track rubber.

I do not believe in abrasive cleaners so I replaced it with a couple of laminated pieces of aluminium with a felt pad, all glued with epoxy. When this felt pad is soaked with a cleaning fluid of some sort it really is very good! I have used isopropyl alchohol, white spirit and lighter fluid with great results. Tom

I meant to ask you Tom; is that alcohol or white spirit or lighter fluid, or a cocktail of all three together! ;)

As Dave says, have a good time in Ireland.

rosenblad

Postby rosenblad » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:26 am

Hi!

Derek, the track cleaning pads have only been soaked with one of the fluids at a time. I think the white spirit seems like the best one but lighter fluid is good because it will evaporate before the loco returns to the same area. This is an advantage if the loco in question is equipped with rubber traction tyres. These will become very slippery when using white spirit. Roco's models have plastic tyres that don't seem to be affected by any of the fluids.

I'm sure we will have a wonderful time in Ireland! We have always wanted to go there and the itinerary for this trip is fantastic! :D

Best Wishes,
Tom

rosenblad

Postby rosenblad » Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:30 pm

Hi!

Having returned from our wonderful (but very wet!) trip around Ireland I felt it was time I get to work on the railway again! I started cutting more trackbed to get to the upper level where the station and motive power depot are located. Here's a photo taken during the building process:

The turntable is made by Fleischmann and is, in my opinion, one of the best on the market.

Best Wishes,
Tom

lmsrail

Postby lmsrail » Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:57 pm

The layout is looking

GREAT :!: :!: you have done really well so far, keep it up :D :D
Regards, Jed

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:20 pm

That's excellent work. I love the precision with which you've crafted this.

Out of curiosity - how do you plan to access the tracks underneath when you've landscaped - will you have lift-off secions of scenery or will access be from underneath the layout ?

I look forward to developments.

surf1845

Postby surf1845 » Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:32 pm

That is a very professional looking layout. I'm looking forward to seeing the progress.

rosenblad wrote:Having returned from our wonderful (but very wet!) trip around Ireland I felt it was time I get to work on the railway again!

Sorry you didn't get good weather while you were here. It's actually rained here every day for 5 1/2 weeks. It's the worst summer I can remember in many years.
Les

Visit my N gauge layout

What's that burning smell....?

British Rail

Postby British Rail » Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:29 pm

Looking lovely there, The trackbed is coming together nicely now, I can just see a pint in that beer holder now - it's nice a deep to so you wont knock it over :wink: :P 8) .

Kindest Regards,

Rhys.

Jackstar

Postby Jackstar » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:39 pm

Tom...... Stunning layout, love all the raised sections any chance of more photos please? Excellent work on the ballasting looks very good.

Regards

Kev

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:30 pm

Hi Tom

Fantastic stuff mate. The framework looks very solid and the turntable will look good there! What will you have scenery-wise around it?

Cheers mate

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

rosenblad

Postby rosenblad » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:13 pm

Hi!

Thank you for all your nice comments! Access to all hidden trackwork will be from underneath the layout. I'm not sure about the scenery yet but I think I will just keep on building and hopefully the scenery ideas will come to me as work progresses! :wink:

Best Wishes,
Tom

Lee

Postby Lee » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:51 pm

First class wood work you done there keep the pics coming :wink:

Lee
My N Gauge Layout.

Sunshine In The Lakes <<<<< Old layout no more

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=44159 <<<<< Back to the Lakes (New Layout 2013)

rosenblad

Postby rosenblad » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:04 pm

Hi!

My usual way of supporting track is to screw a riser to the benchwork crossmember and screwing the trackbed directly onto the end of the riser. On multilevel layouts this isn't always possible. Sometimes there are conflicting tracks below the new track being installed, so alternatives must be found. One way to do it is to mount the riser to the facia panel when the track is close to it. Here's a photo:

Another way is to make the riser like an "L" and fasten it to the crossmember in the usual way but moved out of the way of the conflicting track, like this:

When I cut the board for the turntable I forgot to leave enough material to install buffer stops! That was easily solved by cutting a small piece of chipboard to the right shape and screwing it to the side of the board like this:

Best Wishes,
Tom

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”