Slow progress on a Norwegian layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
bunji

Postby bunji » Tue May 22, 2007 8:30 pm

That's a cracking loco! :D Well done and I hope it works well.

British Rail

Postby British Rail » Tue May 22, 2007 9:13 pm

rosenblad wrote:Hi!

The summer season is the time to do those necessary chores outdoors here in Norway like painting the house and all those other things that are downright awful to do during the cold winter months. It's raining today so I thought I'd do some modelling and decided to show you my worbench. Here's a photo:

Note the solvent bottle recessed into the top of the workbench just in front of the right hand lamp (spillproof!) and the toiletpaper-roll on the wall to the right of the workbench. I find these very handy and I hope some of you guys do too!

Best Wishes,
Tom

I'll get you a pic of my workbench tommorow and we will compare! Excellent work by the way it's coming on well!

Kindest Regards

Rhys

rosenblad

Postby rosenblad » Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:17 pm

Hi!
It's summer here in Norway with temperatures around 28º C and that means it's nice to sit under the parasol on the porch building and painting models! My Peco girder bridge with Wills abutments is just finished using Railmatch and Humbrol oil paints. It was installed in my rather unconventional way by fixing it to the underside of the roadbed with polyurethane glue. It will look fine once the scenery is in place! Here's a photo:

Best Wishes,
Tom

Lee

Postby Lee » Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:41 pm

Lovely ballasting on early pics, other pics will look lovely once senics are added :wink:

British Rail

Postby British Rail » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:14 pm

The bridge looks excellent and as promised a pic of my workbench!

Only joking! It's a portable table I use to put all the junk on!

Rhys

rosenblad

Postby rosenblad » Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:03 am

Hi Rhys!

Thanks for the photo. I like your sense of humor! :lol:

Best Wishes,
Tom

British Rail

Postby British Rail » Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:39 am

It's amazing what you can find, honestly it's like a little gold mine!

lmsrail

Postby lmsrail » Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:42 am

I love the beer holder :lol: :lol: :lol:
Regards, Jed

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:27 pm

Hi Tom

Nice and neat job there mate. Look forward to seeing it 'in situ' eventually :)

Enjoy the nice weather mate

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

westbrom

Postby westbrom » Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:30 pm

Hi Tom, that's a great looking bridge.

Neil

rosenblad

Postby rosenblad » Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:15 pm

Hi!

Thank you for all your nice comments!

Track cleaning is a well worn subject that keeps coming up from time to time. All track needs cleaning and mine is no different. I thought I'd show you a photo of my track cleaning wagon. It was made by Roco and originally equipped with an abrasive track rubber. Here's my conversion:

I do not believe in abrasive cleaners so I replaced it with a couple of laminated pieces of aluminium with a felt pad, all glued with epoxy. When this felt pad is soaked with a cleaning fluid of some sort it really is very good! I have used isopropyl alchohol, white spirit and lighter fluid with great results.

Best Wishes,
Tom

British Rail

Postby British Rail » Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:50 pm

Looks very effective 8)

Rhys

rosenblad

Postby rosenblad » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:12 pm

Hi!

There has been a little progress here today! After a failed attempt at making a tunnel liner using floor leveling compound I bought a bag of plaster and did it again, this time with good results.
The plaster was poured over a master made by covering a pre-shaped "skeleton" of cardboard with crumpled aluminium foil. This gives the illusion of the tunnel being cut through solid rock, which is very common here in Norway. When the plaster is hard the aluminium foil is removed to expose the "rock" surface which can then be painted with acrylic paint. Here's a pic:

Ballasting the track is partly done before the liner is installed, the shoulders being done after installation. The ballasting is done in the usual way, spraying it with a fine mist of water with a few drops of detergent added first, then flowing the PVA glue diluted 50% with water, also with a few drops of detergent, onto the ballast. The detergent breaks the surface tension of the water making it flow into the ballast more easily. To apply the glue I use an old hydrometer (for measuring battery acid specific gravity) cut down to size with a piece of brass tubing in the nozzle for better control. This is what it looks like:

Best Wishes,
Tom

rosenblad

Postby rosenblad » Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:14 pm

Hi!

As my railway operates a mixture of British and continental stock I needed an uncoupling tool that would work on both tension-lock and NEM-couplers. The solution was obvious! :idea: I made a tool from .060" styrene sheet based on the one made by Roco. The lower "shelf" needed to be made wider than the original to be able to span the tension-lock couplers. Here's a photo of my effort:

Best Wishes,
Tom

Crazy_Dave

Postby Crazy_Dave » Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:18 am

Just found your thread and was taken aback by all the great ideas.

Like the track cleaning wagon.
Professional looking job, and will save quite some time in the long run.
Will have to make one some day....

(I would make a tea mug holder for my layout but I don't really need one!)
I have an intercom which I can call down to the missus and she makes a fresh one for me :D

Do you really work at that super clean table?
I like a good clean table to work on but it lasts about 5 minutes and then I can't find anything for the piles of stuff which accumulates :lol:

Anyway, great plan, and looking forward to watching all your progress.
Keep up the good work :wink:
Dave...
http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... php?t=8031

"...Everything at this station is either too old or won't work... and you're both! ..."(Will Hay ~ Oh Mr Porter)

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”