Stefan's Loft Layout - OO Gauge - Work In Progress

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Stefan Tapp

Postby Stefan Tapp » Fri May 11, 2007 8:50 am

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Stuart, not sure on the colour, I might have a play around with some scrap card and see what looks best, was thinking of using a darker grey powder with as you say some oil spill between the tracks.

Stefan

Stuart Reid

Postby Stuart Reid » Fri May 11, 2007 11:45 am

Reason I mentioned brown was that you get a lot of rust leaching out of rails and on to concrete surfaces. Added to which the same areosol mix of mud, rust, oil and other muck which "weathers" vehicles in wet weather does exactly the same to concrete, only it doesn't wash off

Stefan Tapp

Postby Stefan Tapp » Fri May 11, 2007 5:38 pm

Thanks Stuart, I'll give it a try.

Stef

Blue_Dalek

Postby Blue_Dalek » Fri May 11, 2007 5:54 pm

Very impressive ! Love the cereal boxes.. well done!

peak

Postby peak » Fri May 11, 2007 11:55 pm

Fantastic pic's of your MPD.
I like the concrete affect.
I'd go for grey (if you look at my thread you will see that this is my favourite colour?) with oil/diesel spills radiating from the centre of the track.
2 trains, 2 railroad tracks, one going the other one coming back. Click Clack, Click Clack.
Regards
Andy

http://www.brblue.co.uk

Stefan Tapp

Postby Stefan Tapp » Fri May 18, 2007 6:28 pm

My eagerly awaited small package arrived today, I think it will definately be the first of many, very impressed!

Excuse the poor quality, taken with a digital camera as I don't have a proper camcorder!

Stef

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Fri May 18, 2007 9:42 pm

Lovely loco!

Gav.
Watford FC For Me Since 1976

Stefan Tapp

Postby Stefan Tapp » Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:22 am

Not strictly any changes to my layout, but the start off for my sons bedroom 'Thomas' layout. Made from MDF and soft wood for the frame, size is 6' X 4'. The benefits of an old house with high ceilings is clearly shown. The board when folded down sits about 2 feet high, just right for a 4 year old to reach! Just need to teach him all about point etiquette now!! Oh, and of course, how to put his operating mail coach on the right way round. :lol:

Eventually the mat will be covered over with scenics, but we'll stick to the Hornby buildings as per the original trakmat design.

When he is older, we'll move the board so it's long edge will be fixed to the wall to enable the height to come up accordingly.

Stef

westbrom

Postby westbrom » Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:21 pm

Hi Stef, just caught up with your thread, love the vids of the 50, great sound. I bet your son gets a lot of enjoyment out of his layout.

Neil

dr5euss

Postby dr5euss » Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:03 pm

Looks like a Gniffy little layout for running trains on 8) Is that some kind of sound system you have there :?:

Stefan Tapp

Postby Stefan Tapp » Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:10 pm

Neil,

He is starting to take quite a keen interest, handy really, makes the excuse of popping to the local model shop or exhibition much easier!

George,

The sound system is an early Hornby unit. I bought a boxed never used 1982 Hornby Super Sound set on Ebay a while ago as a starter set for my son. The sound unit gives a fairly realistic speed related steam chuff along with both steam whistle and two tone diesel horn. It came with a little red 0-4-0 loco and 3 wagons and of course the obligatory circle of oval track.

You don't see many around nowadays. I remember having one when I was a kid back in the late 70's/early 80's.

Stef

Stefan Tapp

Postby Stefan Tapp » Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:16 pm

It's also a shame to see that Hornby haven't improved their plastic kits, we bought Dominic (my son) his first buildings starter pack yesterday, the one with the goods shed, it's terrible, the roof and wall stickers hardly stick!

Thank goodness us 'adults' have the options of better plastic kits, scratch building and card!!

But, hey, he thinks it's great!

:lol: :wink:

Stef

Bushey Troughs

Postby Bushey Troughs » Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:24 pm

Hi Stef, The new Hornby Goods Shed is embossed plastic. No stick on ticky tacky.
Still if your lad thinks it's great. Then that's cool...... :wink:
COLIN.
“What experience and history teaches us is that people and governments have never learned anything from history, or acted on principles deduced from it”

Stefan Tapp

Postby Stefan Tapp » Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:27 pm

Sounds good Colin, I'll have to keep an eye out for those, have to say, some of the newer Skaledale stuff is impressive too, much better than the first offerings a few years back.

Stef

Bushey Troughs

Postby Bushey Troughs » Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:43 pm

Sorry Stef it's the old goods shed that's embossed....... :oops:
I've just recently bought two off ebay. I thought they were the new model. It seems I made a rickett.... :roll:
COLIN.
“What experience and history teaches us is that people and governments have never learned anything from history, or acted on principles deduced from it”

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”