New Layout Pre-lims. thread; p.54 - by PeterH

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Infrontcat

Re: Burniston Station by PeterH; Burniston station house & LTPT.

Postby Infrontcat » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:06 pm

Hi Peter

Good choice for the kit. The GEM is well named ;) And it's a great class to have a crack at! Also good to see the station's coming along mate. Soon you should be able to have a steam on the met day of your own 8)

Cheers mate

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

PeterH

Postby PeterH » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:03 am

Yes, I am rather happy with the Prince of Wales, as soon as the right solder and flux I bought arrives I can crack on with it. I will also be buying the chassis very shortly.

The station will be completed in those odd moments I get when I won't be working on the Prince of Wales, and when I am in the right 'mood'. A little bit of a tidy up is needed again as well. The Steam on the Met running I had was good fun, although probably best reserved for the club - I can get a good long run there and the curves aren't as severe!
"Gentlemen, pray silence for the President of the Royal Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things."; 'Make Tea, not Love.'
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.

PeterH

Postby PeterH » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:06 am

My model of 34042 'Dorchester' came back for repairs yesterday. It looks as it should now, and I will hope it performs well too - although I haven't had the opportunity to run it yet. There was also something odd in the box with the loco. And Invoice for £10. I was under the impression that a model returned for repairs whilst under the 6 month warranty would get repaired for free?

I'll phone them up on Monday to find out, but what are your opinions/experiences with their repair service?
"Gentlemen, pray silence for the President of the Royal Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things."; 'Make Tea, not Love.'
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.

35011 GSN

Postby 35011 GSN » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:35 pm

I've had 1 loco to their repair shop 3 times :roll:

pretty sure the first time was free (correcting wheel alignment)
2nd time was £10 (new rear wheel set and correcting wheel alignment)
3rd time was repairing the damage done by royal mail.

I think it depends on what they have to do as to whether it was free, what have they said they've done? still worth ringing them

kennyGWSR

Postby kennyGWSR » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:05 pm

Hi Peter, glad your Bulleid arrived back. :)
I was at Pickering Model Show todat and there was a layout called Burniston. The only thing i didnt get is the information about the ayout said there was never a station there :?
60089 Felstead :)
Layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=33128
Rail photos: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=28381

PeterH

Postby PeterH » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:12 pm

Burniston never had a station, since the nearby station at Cloughton served the town. The two places are about a 10 minute walk from each other.
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.

PeterH

Postby PeterH » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:30 am

Well, I've come to the decision that Burniston wasn't giving me the pleasure a model railway ought to give. Blame being fixed upon the lack of a decent run an 8x4 board can give. The layout had become a dumping ground, and hadn't been used in at least 4 months. It is therefore going to be dismantled and flushed into the sewerage system of never completed model railways to rot in an enviroment of sad failed optimism.

However, over the hill the sun will rise on a new, completely different layout which will incorporate the old board. I intend to create a 'dog-bone' type layout in my bedroom, travelling around most of the parimeter. There will be removable sections as so I can gain access to the outside world, my en suite and the cupboards. This ought to rekindle my enthusiasm and subsequently offer me a lot more pleasure.
I will create a new thread for the said new layout, since the idea of 'Burniston Station' has unfortunately run its course.

I will update you on the situations I have at the moment:

My model of 6201 has to be sent to Hornby for repair, since it shorts itself and the valve gear on one side is destroyed.

34042 'Dorchester' is running, although the slide bar is still causing issues. I'll run it until it breaks and then get a replacement chassis. A bit drastic I know.

790 'Hardwicke' is complete as far as I am aware, and is still in the hands of my cousin. He will be sending me photos in due course, and teh model I will collect when I am there next.

The Prince of Wales is getting there, I will be reassembling it asap, then start to prime it and fill in the gaps.

LNWR coaches will be looked at after the Prince of Wales.

Bachmann/NRM Midland Compound No.1000 on order.

LMS Beyer Garratt on order.

Hornby B17 on order.

506 'Butler-Henderson' ready to be bought.

Well, that is all the news so far. Once I have started the new layout I will post a new thread. Burniston has come a long way, alas no further. Until the new layout thread appears, I'll carry on this thread.

Cheero.
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.

tom92240

Re: Burniston Station by PeterH; The end is around the bend...

Postby tom92240 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:23 am

Glad to hear things are looking up, albeit looking down initially!

Nice to here the Butler will have a new home and somewhere to romp around happily for many hours!

Pevensey Flyer

Postby Pevensey Flyer » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:28 pm

Wow- your superb layout and locos have taken me back in time - no, not that far but when there was a yearly event in the early 90's of 'Steam on the Met'. It was an event I so looked forward to as a young lad. Sadly though, I think Steam on the Met only lasted a couple of years as a yearly event because that's when Health & Safety started to rear its ugly head and the new L.U chief no longer wanted to help fund it. Such a shame.

http://www.offshed.com/mainline/showproduct.php?pageNum_rsShowProduct=8&totalRows_rsShowProduct=35&catID=13

PF

PeterH

Postby PeterH » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:36 pm

Steam on the MEt lasted about a decade, it was my first real experience of steam. Many happy a day was spent going around Croxley and Rickmansworth when that was on. There are rumours of it occuring again one day... I do hope so.

Track has been pulled up today, I shall next take up the underlay I glued to the baseboard. The new loop section looks as though it will have to be made using first radii curves, since I am finding that third radii will take up too much space. Unfortunate. I will be able to have third radii on my current board, just the other end will have to be a bit tight.
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.

PeterH

Re: New Layout Pre-lims. thread; p.54 - by PeterH

Postby PeterH » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:11 pm

New Layout Pre-limbs!

How do all, before I start work on the layout (and subsequently make a new thread) I shall inform you on what is happening at the moment with regards to the new layout.

I've got wood! Two 8'x15'' bits of chipboard, which will become the GCR station and the mainline loops, and a few bits of thin lengths to take the double track. If I get any free time, a quick tidy of the room is in order before I start on erecting it.
I will need to make a frame for the two large boards - not a problem though. One or two of the boards will need trimming to size as well.

Here is a rough sketch of what it will look like.

Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”