New Layout Pre-lims. thread; p.54 - by PeterH

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
tom92240

Re: Burniston Station by PeterH; Class 15 pipes & screwlinks p45

Postby tom92240 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:13 pm

kennyGWSR wrote:nice work peter. i think tom and dan should stop picking at your work just because you are not doing it the way they would, its sort of like dan picking at my railroad 9f's, just because he had bachmann ones, he thinks the hornby ones are rubbish.

I wouldnt call it picking at his work, if I were to do that I would be a hell of alot more obvious...I was making a point that IN MY OPINION subtle details like instantas etc make a model railway set apart from the rest....

Naturally Peter is entitled to do as he pleases...but I thought the point of any forum was to make your opinions freely known and not just constantly praise everythnig like yes men because its nice...

Peter, you're work is good, I hope you didn't take what I said the wrong way, just voicing my opinon :) Of course the screw-link couplings are a fine substitute for Instanta's so its good to see that level of detail has sunk in.

Pedanticmongrel

Postby Pedanticmongrel » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:14 pm

PeterH wrote:With the 9F, you are right in saying you get for what you pay. If you don't have much money, or are just coming into the hobby, they are perfect for getting started.

not really perfect because you'll soon look at it and think how ghastly and have to sell it to buy something worth having, the hornby 9F is only good for giving to a toddler who'll kick it and chew edges!
I'm back and now I model in 'Strain your eyes gauge'...

PeterH

Postby PeterH » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:37 pm

I appreciate your raising the issue of intanters, I quite agree that the forums are about helping one another and offering advice and information; but I gave my reasons for using the 3-links at the top of p.45; they are £3.00 cheaper than buying the instanters, and when buying a few packets the difference soon builds up.

Dan, of course you are right. The Hornby 9F is the work of the devil and anyone who buys one must surely be out of their mind.
"Gentlemen, pray silence for the President of the Royal Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things."; 'Make Tea, not Love.'
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.

Pedanticmongrel

Postby Pedanticmongrel » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:04 pm

yes :D

btw nice work with the screwlinks, allows you to keep all the end detail, have fun coupling it up though!
I'm back and now I model in 'Strain your eyes gauge'...

PeterH

Postby PeterH » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:09 pm

A pair of tweezers and the job of coupling is oh so mush easier!
"Gentlemen, pray silence for the President of the Royal Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things."; 'Make Tea, not Love.'
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.

kennyGWSR

Postby kennyGWSR » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:26 pm

Pedanticmongrel wrote:
PeterH wrote:With the 9F, you are right in saying you get for what you pay. If you don't have much money, or are just coming into the hobby, they are perfect for getting started.

not really perfect because you'll soon look at it and think how ghastly and have to sell it to buy something worth having, the hornby 9F is only good for giving to a toddler who'll kick it and chew edges!

sounds like the voice of experience.
60089 Felstead :)
Layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=33128
Rail photos: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=28381

PeterH

Postby PeterH » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:52 pm

Update! Work has been started on scratch building the station. It is going to be loosely based on Scalby station, I am going to copy the main building of that then add a few subtle differences. The stations along the S&WR were all rather similar, with the exception of one or two.

Below are a few photos of the station at Scalby, and a ground plan; all taken from the book 'The Scaborough and Whitby Railway' by J. Robin Lidster.

So far I've made one wall, which was rather simple as it is a wall with no windows etc. Just cut to size, I've made a start to the front gable/bay window thingy, as can be seen below.

I'm not being acurate with measurements, and am roughly following the Metcalfe station, which looks similar to the S&WR style stations.

Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.

Michael Thornberry

Re: Burniston Station by PeterH; Station building start p.46

Postby Michael Thornberry » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:59 pm

Hello Peter,
At last you've made a start. Looking forward to more on this Lay-out. Love your selected area, Scalby Station. Keep-up the Good Work,
Kind Regards,
Michael Thornberry.

PeterH

Re: Burniston Station by PeterH; Station building start p.46

Postby PeterH » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:18 pm

Progress has been slow, I've been painting my rails, and am now ready to lay the track out properly. In other news I've been doing a spot of weathering on my wagons. All wagons need weathering in my opinion - I've never seen a 'clean' wagon in my life! Anywho, here they are.

The sand wagon needs a little bit of attention, as does the darker of the vans (the roof needs a bit of work, and the orangey bits to be dulled down).
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.

trainsandco

Re: Burniston Station by PeterH; Weathering Wagons - p.46

Postby trainsandco » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:22 pm

wow...they're really good Peter :D well done :)

Ben
A layout is never finished, it's just a shortage of ideas.

Film-making Railway Enthusiast.

81D

slackbladder

Postby slackbladder » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:30 pm

Great work Mr H :D When can I send you mine? :lol:
The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd

trainsandco

Postby trainsandco » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:12 pm

slackbladder wrote:When can I send you mine? :lol:

after he's done mine :P :lol:
A layout is never finished, it's just a shortage of ideas.

Film-making Railway Enthusiast.

81D

ste234

Postby ste234 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:18 pm

Pete can you weather N gauge aswell? :lol: :wink:
'Springfield', N gauge Modern Era Layout

PeterH

Postby PeterH » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:33 pm

Thanks for the kind comments chaps! The idea of comissions does tickle my fancy, Christmas is inconveniently close at the moment; presents are a nasty headache...

I'll show you how I do my wagons in my next post.
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.

PeterH

Postby PeterH » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:13 pm

How to Weather Wagons...

I thought some of you might find it useful in seeing how I weather my wagons, I hope it is of some assistance!

1. Prepare yourself a glass of your favourite tipple, you may need it!

2. This is the wagon as bought. A wagon would only ever be this clean when built, or perhaps after it had visited the shops.

3. The next step may seem a bit drastic, but never fear! Get some black paint (I used Humbrol Matt 33), and paint one side of the wagon, particularly in all the nooks and crannies. The black paint is representing engine soot, which builds up on the sticking-out bits and depressions, as well as near the top of the wagon.

4. Now get a flat-headed brush such as this, and dip it in some white spirit, wipe off any excess - you want it to be moist, not damp. Then brush in vertical strokes along the wagon side, taking some of the paint off. Don't clean the brush just yet, it will be of some use shortly...

5. Now, take a piece of tissue, kitchen roll et al, and wipe off some more of the paint, concentrating particularly on the flat surfaces.

6. Time to use your now now dirty white spirit brush. The black residue on the brush is perfect for dulling down the roof of your wagon, cover the top of the wagon with the black residue, and gently dab it off again.

7. Repeat this a few times until you achieve the desired effect.

8. Time to look at the chassis and frames now. You need to pick a dusty and rusty sort of colour and dab it on.

9. You can either leave it as it is, lightly weathered, or take it to a medium weathered stage as I shall do. What I've done here is to add a bit more 'soot' to the top of the wagon and some 'dust' to the bottom. The 'dust' is a beige colour (Humbrol Matt 119; although I also use Humbrol Matt 186, which is what I use for the frames), and is applied in vertical streaks.

10. All paint should be either dabbed on, or applied in vertical strokes. I will use the white spirit brush dry to soften the edges. Using the brush in vertical strokes helps to produce the vertical effect that rain leaves behind. Now it is time to make the axle boxs look a bit greasy, using some black paint. To add a bit of variety, you can leave one undone, as if it has run dry.

I hope this has been of some use. I find for weathering it is best to apply then take off paint, slowly building up the layers. It helps to look at photos and videos to see how it works in real life. A general rule of soot going from top to midway, and dust from bottom to midway makes a good combination. It also helps to think carefully about where the dirt is likely to collect.

Another tip is to weather wagons differently to one another, as a train of identically weathered wagons is going to look ridiculous!
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”