New Layout Pre-lims. thread; p.54 - by PeterH

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
PeterH

Re: Burniston Station; by PeterH - new 3-link couplings p.44

Postby PeterH » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:21 pm

For practical reasons I am using 3-links, cheaper as well.
With regards to the 3MT, I've taken the front pony truck off to make the loco a bit easier to handle as I work on it.
"Gentlemen, pray silence for the President of the Royal Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things."; 'Make Tea, not Love.'
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.

NNR.76079

Postby NNR.76079 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:38 pm

PeterH wrote:With regards to the 3MT, I've taken the front pony truck off to make the loco a bit easier to handle as I work on it.

Fair enough, was just quite interested. :P Thought you may have been trying to design a BR Standard 0-6-2 tank :P
If it steam and runs on rails i like it.
If its big, red and goes 'NEE-NAW' i like it

tom92240

Postby tom92240 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:45 pm

PeterH wrote:For practical reasons I am using 3-links, cheaper as well.

Peter, do you even know what Instanta's are? :)

Pedanticmongrel

Postby Pedanticmongrel » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:46 pm

My sentiments exactly.
I'm back and now I model in 'Strain your eyes gauge'...

PeterH

Postby PeterH » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:18 pm

Of course I do, they are little triangular things which replace the middle link, depending on what position they are in they either shorten or lengthen the coupling; I just think in 4mm they aren't necessary - I'm not a rivet counter!1
"Gentlemen, pray silence for the President of the Royal Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things."; 'Make Tea, not Love.'
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.

tom92240

Postby tom92240 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:08 pm

Interesting comment, so all those people who use Instanta's on the big railway are "rivet counters". To me its just the sort of detail that sets apart a train set from a model railway, and I mean that in no disrespect to your modelling skills!

PeterH

Postby PeterH » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:26 pm

What I meant was I am not going to have sleepness nights because I may have a slightly incorrect type of coupling, I don't really give a hoot. If it looks alright it is good enough for me.
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.

PeterH

Postby PeterH » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:51 pm

I've spent a few hours fitting screw-link couplings, piping and headcode discs to my Class 15; it is a marked improvement, a bit frustrating at times, and rather fiddly but I got there in the end!

Before fittings:

After:

Time for a large whisky now methinks!
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.

Michael Thornberry

Re: Burniston Station by PeterH; Class 15 pipes & screwlinks p45

Postby Michael Thornberry » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:20 pm

Hello Peter,
Love the modelling and painting, mate, but unfortunately coughcoughchokechoke mechanized carriages aren't my thing. Otherwise, looking-good, Peter,
Kind Regards,
Michael Thornberry.
PS:- Totally agree with the Whiskey sampling :lol:

kennyGWSR

Postby kennyGWSR » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:38 am

nice work peter. i think tom and dan should stop picking at your work just because you are not doing it the way they would, its sort of like dan picking at my railroad 9f's, just because he had bachmann ones, he thinks the hornby ones are rubbish.
60089 Felstead :)
Layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=33128
Rail photos: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=28381

PeterH

Postby PeterH » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:52 pm

Thanks for the kind comments, I'm not a huge fan of diesels myself; steam man through and through; although the early; interesting looking diesels I don't mind. Also it was whisky without an 'e' I was drinking; Scottish stuff is spelt without the 'e'; anything else with - or so I'm led to believe! Interesting little snippet of info; at least it is in my opinion!
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.

Pedanticmongrel

Postby Pedanticmongrel » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:42 am

kennyGWSR wrote:nice work peter. i think tom and dan should stop picking at your work just because you are not doing it the way they would, its sort of like dan picking at my railroad 9f's, just because he had bachmann ones, he thinks the hornby ones are rubbish.

I also had a hornby one first and it was rubbish, it didn't even look much like a 9F, tbh i think it's a bit of a con how Hornby can market it as a 9F when it is so far off what a 9F looks like, and we're not picking at his work, we're just saying as he's fitting 3 links he might aswell put the proper type of 3 links on the right vehicles, if we were picking we'd say something like "you've put BR instantas on that GWR van, that's not on"
Also with the instanta point, if you have them in O they actualy do what they're meant to and very well, I assume in 00 they'd also work properly thus improving how his stock runs as well as looks, thats the point I was making.

PeterH

Postby PeterH » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:17 pm

The Hornby 9F is cheap and cheerful, perfect for the younger generations who don't have £80+ to fork out in buying a Bachmann type. Although I would personally never ever buy anything from the railroad range, I appreciete the market that Hornby are reaching out to.
As with the coupling point, I am using only 3-links and screw-links.
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.

Pedanticmongrel

Postby Pedanticmongrel » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:07 pm

PeterH wrote:The Hornby 9F is cheap and cheerful

cheap and nasty (on the eye!) In model railways you get what you pay for!

PeterH wrote:Although I would personally never ever buy anything from the railroad range, I appreciete the market that Hornby are reaching out to.

there is the the odd good model in the range, the new 10xx county looks more than worth it's price tag.

PeterH wrote: As with the coupling point, I am using only 3-links and screw-links.

I thought you knew what instantas are? In case you don't they are the middle link on a 3 link coupling fitted to fitted wagons.

PeterH

Postby PeterH » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:11 pm

I do know what instanters are, and I am not using them. End of.

With the 9F, you are right in saying you get for what you pay. If you don't have much money, or are just coming into the hobby, they are perfect for getting started.
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”