North Clipperby - Live Steam - New Video

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
mumbles

Postby mumbles » Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:20 pm

hi owen
coming along nicely, are they the peco girder sides you have used.. if so did you do anything to get them to bend, ie cuts on one side? even so how did you get them to stay in place to stick down?
also, the gradient down through the underpass, what is it, do trains make it up ok?
some good modelling there, keep it up
michael

thebuisnessman

Postby thebuisnessman » Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:45 pm

Ahh, you see you've raised the one question that I'm ashamed to answer. I call the Branchline a "Photographic" Branch line because only small tank engines can go down the line with light freight. The incline is too steep - having never done anything like this before, I have had problems getting the surface right. I used expanding foam and polyfilla which was my first mistake, not a wise decision. I had toyed with the idea of ripping it all up and just having the 009, but just for pictures it would be nice to have both along side each other. So this means that trains can go down, and not up.

My J94 and Caley can both get up and down. With a small goods train of a handful of mineral wagons, the J94 can get down without to many problems, but anything larger fails. I originally wanted my 110 DMU to be able to go up and down, but sadly this one derails due to the inconsistency in track level. The line was more of an experiment to see if it could be done. If I had more space, and with the knowledge obtained from this excersize, next time I would be able to do it without any problems.

The Peco girders were just prized into shape by doing a series of small bends to get them into the right shape. They were glued down with PVA so this added to the ridgidety and hopefully they will stay put.

thebuisnessman

Postby thebuisnessman » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:40 pm

Something a little different that I finished last light:

bunji

Postby bunji » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:01 pm

That's a cracking model! Please tell me: what is it? What scale? I love the decals on it. :)

thebuisnessman

Postby thebuisnessman » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:25 pm

Its a 1/48 P-38J Lightening Droopsnoot varient :idea: US WWII European Theatre :D

thebuisnessman

Postby thebuisnessman » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:32 pm

I've done a little more Railway modelling today - the first of the scenics on the layout:

It's something that I've been itching to do for quite a while, good to get it done at last! This evening I've also done quite a bit of 009 Stuff - hence more track laid in the second picture and also quite a bit more which isn't in those pictures.

Owen

thebuisnessman

Postby thebuisnessman » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:37 pm

Time for another video. This one now shows the Branchline in working order at last, now on separate control.I've also done quite a bit more on the landscaping, with the Papier Mache shell now covered in a coat of Polyfilla, with some Brown Woodstain painted on as a base coat. The 9F is the Hornby one and the 4MT and 08 Bachmann's offerings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9rjQjY4SGs

Three pictures to show overall progress - the tunnels and 009 Yard:

Thanks,
Owen

dr5euss

Postby dr5euss » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:45 pm

Last edited by dr5euss on Fri May 27, 2016 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Malton Seadog

Postby Malton Seadog » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:56 pm

Cracking photos and videos.

How do you get the tunnel interiors so fantastically dark, even for such a short tunnel?
Matt

thebuisnessman

Postby thebuisnessman » Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:03 pm

Black paint and poor lighting :twisted: :wink:

Malton Seadog

Postby Malton Seadog » Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:53 pm

Does it look as dark in 'real life' as it does on the photos?
Matt

thebuisnessman

Postby thebuisnessman » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:03 pm

It is dark, but then no light falls directly through it. The main light source comes from a light on the ceiling, that is central to the room. The layout boards inside the tunnel have also been painted black - maybe thats whats fooling you!

Malton Seadog

Postby Malton Seadog » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:27 pm

Probably - but it's definitely a good illusion!
Matt

m.levin

Postby m.levin » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:30 pm

Your WW2 models are outstanding and I know your Railway model will be at that Standard. I like the picture with the moving train.

Malton Seadog

Postby Malton Seadog » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:54 pm

That gradient on the last video looks very severe. What sort of incline is it?

Your shunter seems to be shaking slightly as it makes it's way up...

I love the underpass idea though - something very exciting about lines weaving over and under each other.
Matt

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”