North Clipperby - Live Steam - New Video

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
mumbles

Postby mumbles » Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:40 am

yeah,cheers
now... tidy your room!
:lol:
michael

thebuisnessman

Postby thebuisnessman » Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:50 am

:oops:

It could do with a hoover more than anything else! :wink:

class37

Postby class37 » Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:14 am

cool

martin2345uk

Postby martin2345uk » Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:19 pm

2 "cools" posted nearly 2 hours apart?! :?

Hey I'd love to see a photo of that tunnel when its ready..!

martin2345uk

Postby martin2345uk » Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:24 pm

thebuisnessman wrote:Image

Owen

Ok I mean that tunnel right there, I wondered what it looks like when its finished, thats all I meant! :?

thebuisnessman

Postby thebuisnessman » Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:17 pm

It's been a while since my last update (This thread even got relegated to the realms of page two it's been that long!)

I haven't had much time for modelling lately, as I've been very busy. A combination of lots of school work, and taking my brother to Uni in Wales and my Birthday last weekend hasn't given me much time to do much on the layout.

One of the main reasons why progress has been slow is because of some dodgey Polyfilla plaster. I thought I'd be clever, and mix some brown clothes dye in with the plaster mix so the plaster would come ready coloured and wouldn't need painting.
To begin with things looked promising but when I sealed it in with PVA things went wrong. The PVA layer went almost black and then small mould like dots appeared on the surface. I found that the PVA had not applied properly and was only like a thin skin. However, underneath the plaster had started to crumble badly. Another coat of PVA was applied, but it didn't work the second time around so it was pulled up.

Plain white Polyfilla was then applied onto the remains of the old surface and so far things look good.

The approach to the incline on the branchline has also been started. The embankment was made using PU Expanding foam again, then cut to size and Polyfilla applied, learning from the previous cock-up!

This picture gives an approximate feel of where the incline goes:

Work on the Tunnel has also started. It is very rough at the moment and needs a lot of work doing inside. Trains run through nicely though, which is a promising start.

I've also been looking into layout lighting. I've got a very nice Levington Light to experiment with. I have to say, I am very impressed.

There are also two new additions to the fleet from today. Firstly is the new Hornby Princess "Queen Maud", which I was given for my Birthday. It is a very nice loco but still needs a bit of a running in.

The second is one I bought today, along with three Mk.I Blood and Custard Coaches at the Bressinham Steam Museum Model Railway Day. It's a Bachmann 5MT. It is a very nice model with plenty of scope to snap things off!

I intended to get my hands on a Bachmann 108 DMU and a V2 today, but no traders had them so I ended up giving up and went for the 5MT. My plan now is the save up for the two car 108 DMU.

Owen

thebuisnessman

Postby thebuisnessman » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:44 pm

Finished this one off a couple of days ago - it's the Dapol Water Tower, build with a few adjustments.

peak

Postby peak » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:07 pm

Thats an impressive water tower!
I am thinking of adding one to my layout. Even though it's a diesel depot! I think I can justify one as a lot of modern depots seem to have one tucked away in a corner.
2 trains, 2 railroad tracks, one going the other one coming back. Click Clack, Click Clack.
Regards
Andy

http://www.brblue.co.uk

m.levin

Postby m.levin » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:55 pm

Nice Locos, I do like that lamp. :wink:

thebuisnessman

Postby thebuisnessman » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:14 pm

Another Brief Update...

Earlier this week, I tried to lay track on the Branchline incline, but found it to be too uneven. I've now layed down some cork tiles to assist in track laying and these will be covered in yet more Polyfilla to hopefully assist with smoother running and a more even trackbed. I've also moved a supporting post for the boards to enable a smoother curve.

When I tested it yesterday, I found that the 110 DMU would not negotiate the quick and sharp change of incline and it's wheels were coming off the rails. My Caley 0-4-0 and J94 seemed to get up and down fine (no wheelslip whatsoever which is very promising - likewise with the 110 when it was on the rails), but it still needs to be smoother.

I have also made a start on the bridge sections for both gauges too.

Owen

Class 60

Postby Class 60 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:53 pm

Must have missed the previous updates Owen but the layout is coming along very nicely.
Love the Water tower - that looks like its going to fit in nicely on the layout :wink:

Adam

thebuisnessman

Postby thebuisnessman » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:27 pm

Thanks Adam :D

thebuisnessman

Postby thebuisnessman » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:32 pm

Typical, isn't it - I had just taken a load of footage and pics, then the camera broke :shock: :oops:

thebuisnessman

Postby thebuisnessman » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:16 pm

Time for an update...

I got out the Airbrush today and sprayed up all the track in Phoenix Precition Sleeper Grime. That took quite a while, and had mixed results. One area of track looks like it might need re-doing because I thinned the paint a little bit too much. It's still an improvement though.

A bit of Ballasting was also done last night as an experiment:

Thats about it really. I put in an order on Gaugemaster yesterday for some Slaters Plasticard so I can crack on with the Station Platforms. The tunnel has been painted black inside and so has the trackbed. The next step is to begin work on the papier mache covering.

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:21 pm

track is looking good owen
keep it up

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”