North Clipperby - Live Steam - New Video

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
edwardholmes91

Postby edwardholmes91 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:43 am

Brilliant, you have some very long frieght trains! How on earth does the engine pull them? I have about 20 altogether, and unless I take some off it wont puull them, also the fact they are all different and fill quite a lot of the track it makes them look a bit silly. You must have a huge layout, to make them look to scale right!

Top job on the video, how on earth did you film the Mallard as good as that?

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:24 am

Nice one Owen. Cool vid :)
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

thebuisnessman

Postby thebuisnessman » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:31 am

All loco Drive Loco's pull the Freight with ease. My Bachmann Gronk is amazing though. Although it may not pull them fast, it can pull more stock than anything else I have. And all in such a small loco too!

The long freight train was a bit of a test TBH. That is most of my stock, minus a couple of Siphon G's and some Bogie Bolsters. I could really do with some more vans, 20 ton hoppers and Iron Ore Trucks.

Glad you chaps like the vid! :D

westbrom

Postby westbrom » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:32 pm

Hi Owen, another smashing vid.

Neil

thebuisnessman

Postby thebuisnessman » Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:54 pm

It's a while since I did an update. Sadly, no pictures - I'm too busy (maybe later).

Today I bought a Jig Saw for £20 from the local DIY shop, because I'm tired of cutting Hardboard Scenic Backscenes with a blunt, unaccurate craftknife. It seems to be money well spent IMHO though, so far I've done a days work in a few hours. All/Most Scenic Boards are now in place. I also bought an 8x4' Sheet of Hardboard from the local woodyard and this has been cut up today. Whats so good about the Sides now though, is that I have recut them from one single bit of wood, so I now have some 7' and 8' Backboards that have no joins in them.

My Birthday is also encroaching, and after selling a loco I am now officially loaded! I have asked for the Princess loco 'Queen Maud', and have talked to the Bure Valley Railway Model Shop and they can do it for £85 which is one of the cheapest deals I've found. I've been working lots recently, and can now hopefully afford either a Bachmann V2, or a Hornby 8F. I'm tainted towards the V2 right now. I may have enough for both, partly because I can get one (R2395) from the BVR for £56. I need to think, but I'm not sure. I am certain it is a lovely model, but I also would really like a nice rake of Hornby Pullman's or Bachmann Mk.I's, and need to get saving for those!

thebuisnessman

Postby thebuisnessman » Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:10 pm

Hoorah!

Just purchased two things that I really need off eBay this evening. An Airfix 1st Edition Catalogue to aid with the hunting process was first, followed by a (what I presume is) new Hornby Weathered 9F for £47.94 inc. P+P. A bargain if you ask me!

thebuisnessman

Postby thebuisnessman » Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:30 pm

Time for a semi-brief to long pictorial update :)

Lots of 'Hmm's and Ahhh's' are pretuding from my modelling room at the moment, regarding the positioning of the MPD/Yard. I've figured out that to have the entry road coming in from the curved point on the viaduct, the curve would have to be even tighter than a radius 1 setrack curve, and this would mean large loco's, which I ideally want to live in the MPD Engine shed would not be able to get in without derailment or damage. I've changed the entry position now, and this is how it loooks:

I also took apart an old Flying Scotsman model that I've had lying around for a while. This was one of those ones you could get for two quid, intended to entice you into buying a series of models at a higher price. The Loco body/boiler looks like it might have a use for a 009 locomotive perhaps, the wheels can be repainted and rusted up for yard fodder and the base has now become a nice base for my old Flying Scotsman that is about to die if I try and use it much more.

This is a picture of some of the Hardboard stuff I've done. There are now sides that extend all the way round the layout, ensuring no stock can fall off! The ones around the station area will also act as bases for walling to be afixed to. I have decided that I will try and incorporate a half-relief street scene along the top, although this may/may not work. I'll have to see how it goes.

Owen

Bushey Troughs

Postby Bushey Troughs » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:01 pm

Owen, Change it to 60098 'Spion Kop' and stick it in a siding. Sorted.... :wink:
COLIN.
“What experience and history teaches us is that people and governments have never learned anything from history, or acted on principles deduced from it”

thebuisnessman

Postby thebuisnessman » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:47 pm

The 9F has just come today... I'm off to play :twisted:

thebuisnessman

Postby thebuisnessman » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:58 pm

Time for an update methinks!

Lots of bits today!

My Nice new 9F arrived safe and sound - lovely loco and it is a tender drive :shock: But the detail is brilliant and runs like a dream 8)

Lots of major polyfilla work this evening too. I emptied out an open carton of Powder into an old large stork marge tub, which was about three quarters of the packet. I then added the left overs of some Dark Brown clothes dye that I had left over from when I made some lichen last year. Funny thing is, it turned out green :?

It now meets up to the river bridge retaining walls well:

The slope for the 009 part has also been remodelled. I bought some more PU Expanding Foam through Screwfix and have used it here:

The slope looks pretty good now (well it would, I made it!)

The two tunnel mouths have also been glued into place. I was thinking of building a superstructure over the top of the tunnel, in a suitable shape from srips of card, then covering it in Plaster Bandage and then lifting it up, lining it with Brick Paper then gluing it in place. A shoddy description, but you'll see.

Owen

westbrom

Postby westbrom » Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:24 pm

I like what you've done Owen, looks good.

Neil

redline41190

Postby redline41190 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:50 pm

nice work! it looks absolutely great :D i only wish i had the time and money to build a real layout... and the ability to stop getting side tracked every time i think of something else to do :P

Your little 009 shed part reminds me of a scene out of an old TTTE book that I have, just a thought though :)

keep up the good work!

-Jeremy
There are two ways to do things... The Great Western way, and the wrong way.

thebuisnessman

Postby thebuisnessman » Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:29 pm

Thanks Jeremy and Neil.

Having been layoutless for the last two years, I have enough enthusiasm to eat a horse!

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:23 am

hi
looks like its all coming together now.. could you take an overview shot for us as i've got a bit lost with where each element goes with each other?
nice use of materials too to build up your landscape
michael

thebuisnessman

Postby thebuisnessman » Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:01 am

Taking one picture of the whole layout is next to impossible - the room is too small and the eaves of the roof mean that you can't get the camera right back.

This is the viaduct, and this part of the layout is nearest the door. The work with the filler is on the other side of the viaduct.

The double slips, and Eastern Station approach are on the upper level in this photo. The 009 Section is on the lower level.

This is the 009 Section as it stands.

HTH,
Owen

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”