North Clipperby - Live Steam - New Video

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Lofty

Postby Lofty » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:13 am

Or you could say the ruined building was a station :wink:

Lofty

thebuisnessman

Postby thebuisnessman » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:03 pm

A brief pictorial update showing how I've attempted to cut the expanding foam into terrain like shapes:

jweighell

Postby jweighell » Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:20 pm

Hi Owen,

Nice looking layout :)

Very interesting in how you're getting on with the expanding foam?

I'm looking to build some hills on my layout in the next week or so and am trying to figure out the best way to go. I can get expanding foam easily through my work, but I don't have any experience of what it's like to use.

How bad is the smell, does it make much mess? Is it easy to shape? Does it stick to the baseboard?

Cheers!

Jonathan

dr5euss

Postby dr5euss » Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:24 pm

The brief pictorial update is great! :D

thebuisnessman

Postby thebuisnessman » Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:05 am

jweighell wrote:Very interesting in how you're getting on with the expanding foam?

Some mixed results. There is a lot less mess involved than with expanding foam than polysyrene. It still makes a god awful sound when cut open, but it is easier to shape and mould IMHO. I have found that there are a couple of Airpockets inside all of the foam that require filling, but it seems to work OK.

[quote="jweighell"
How bad is the smell, does it make much mess? Is it easy to shape? Does it stick to the baseboard?
[/quote]

RE the smell, to quote from the last page:
"It expands big time, but it also smells bad, which is good because I'm pulling off some really eggy stinkers this evening, so I won't have to worry about them no more"

It seems to stick to Sundeala pretty well, it definatly won't sprout legs and walk away though. I have been experimenting with plaster bandage today though, and I'd say it's given me mixed results. It doesn't stick down very well. I think that a covering in PVA glue and newspaper would work best.

George - glad you like the brief pictorial update. That'll be the last this week because I'm going back to the North Norfolk Railway to do some more work in the sheds! :P

Owen

thebuisnessman

Postby thebuisnessman » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:17 am

Not much work done recently, but I am aiming to finish off the boards tomorrow, fingers crossed.

I dug out my old J94 today, and have spent most of my modelling time today 'renovating' it. Yonks ago, I bought a pot of some weathering powder. I smothered quite a few items of my stock in it, and sealed it in with Hairspray. The Powder, looking back at it now looked very purple in colour, and it was all over the J94. I stripped down the loco to the bare components - Body, Chassis and Wheels and these were soaked in Meths (the Body was dipped in to aviod the decals dissolving. This broke down the hairspray sealant, and then after a bit of wipage with some cotton buds, the parts were soaked in Warm soapy water for a couple of hours. They were then left to dry in the sun, and any left over bits were cleaned up. Everything has now been put back together, and I have started to weather it again with a bit more of a prototypical eye.

Owen

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:36 am

Good stuff Owen. Glad to hear things are coming along :)
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

thebuisnessman

Postby thebuisnessman » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:25 pm

Thanks Tim :D

Good news today! I have finally managed to cut what I hope will be the last bit of wood :!: I haven't started building the last few modules yet, because I've been kayaking all day :oops: It's about time that I got my rear end in gear, because I can't b***** wait to get my Live Steam stuff going in a tailchaser. I'm aiming to get the full circuit done by Tuesday.

I've done a little bit of modelling this evening. I've tidied up the Branchline and 009 River Bridges. The 009 Bridge, closer to the camera was from the Knoghtwing N Gauge Plate Girder Bridge Kit which appears to be an ex-Heljian Kit. The original structure was around 20cm in length, but using my dremmel, I have modified it so that instead of having stone supports, it has retaining walls, is sorter and the detail bumps on the top are bevelled towards the trackbed as they looked a little odd. The 00 Branchline kit is a Wills one that has been in my toolbox for around 5 years, from an old 6'x4' Project that never materialised.

I have also been working on tunnel mouths over the last few days. I bought a Jarvis Single Track Tunnel Mouth from Auto-Loco in Sherringham whilst I was on the NNR a few days ago, thinking it was just the thing. Now back home, I'm pretty dissapointed with it. It is a Resin Structure that is thick. It is warped so it bends slightly on the horizontal. The stonework looks a little odd too and even after some chopping down of it, It still looks pants. If anyone wants it, they can just so long as you pay for postage. It has some unwarped retaining walls (Top Mouth in picture).

I have now scratchbuilt a new one for 00, which seems to be an improvement in my eyes. It is made from Plasticard and an old sheet of Metcalfe embosed stone. I have also modified one of the N Gauge/009 Single Mouths so when it attaches to it, it doesn't look odd. To my eyes, it looks OK (parts of it still need weathering etc), but does it look good to you?

For your enjoyment, I've also got three pictures of the newly cleaned up J94. You might be able to see a few bits of the old vile purple weathering poweder in the photo's. The weathering isn't complete so I'll get these out before I call it finished.

Thanks for peeping!
Owen

Mikol

Postby Mikol » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:28 am

nice weathering there! ;)

not an expert on tunnels but your own ones are a great improvement over the RTR one!

thebuisnessman

Postby thebuisnessman » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:27 pm

Due to a power cut that has been on since dawn this morning (typical for Bank Holidays eh!), I have now completely finished all major baseboards, and now have enough infrastructure in place to complete a loop. Trouble was, with a power cut I had no way of charging power packs for the drill, so I was lucky that they were charged last night! :D

Last night I cracked on with the clearence holes, using a Pillar Drill to make sure they were square. This morning I assembled the last two modules, and these were bolted into position.

Here are a couple of shots showing progress evolve over the course of the day:

Off cuts of Sundeala and 2x1 supports were again used to meet the viaduct. I've put an order into Screwfix for a couple of cans of PU Expanding Foam, and have boarded off the descent to the branchline to control the foam when it expands. The branchline trackbed should descend at a reasonable rate. It'll probably go down at around 10cm per Metre which is similar to the rate of climb on the Hornby Track Supports.

I've also been testing the fit of the Tunnel Mouths for the two branchlines. This picture is reassuring for me as it shows I have got something right!

I shall now lay the last bit of track, before the inaugural first run round the layout. Dwight D Eisenhower will do the honours for Live Steam, and The Flying Scotsman, the Grandad of my collection will be first for DC. The loop would be in place sooner if it had been up to me, but with no power my Dremmel wouldn't work of course and my Razor Saw isn't very sharp and needs a new blade.

I've come a long way since this, back in April!

Owen

dr5euss

Postby dr5euss » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:53 pm

Nice work Owen, it's shaping up nicely.

Is that a handlaid point I spy? Just thinking about your bridges, I think I might've put the chunkier girder on the mainline, and the less bulky one on the narrow gauge line. Could you just turn it round to swap them over, or does that give clearance issues?

You mention modules...is this whole thing portable then?

thebuisnessman

Postby thebuisnessman » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:42 pm

I'm afraid that isn't a handmade point, I presume you are looking at the curved one in the third picture down. That's just an old Setrack RH Curve that once upon a time was sprayed with a can of paint. Those aren't copper sleepers!

The way I've already built the kit means that swapping the two over would be hard. I can see your concern, but there are a few lumpy bits that'd be difficult to reposition.

Operation looks set to make its debut late this evening if there isn't another power cut!

peak

Postby peak » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:14 pm

I look forward to seeing a train on your track.
You must be quite excited!
2 trains, 2 railroad tracks, one going the other one coming back. Click Clack, Click Clack.
Regards
Andy

http://www.brblue.co.uk

Stuart Reid

Postby Stuart Reid » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:43 pm

The term heroic engineering seems to sum up this one.

Nice weathering job on the J94 - but China clay wagons?

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:13 pm

Hi Owen

Almost there mate ;)

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”