North Clipperby - Live Steam - New Video

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
thebuisnessman

North Clipperby - Live Steam - New Video

Postby thebuisnessman » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:33 pm

Well the internet gets cut off at 12am Sharp. I'm moving house tomorrow, and I've got big plans for a new layout.

I've got a room all to myself that measures about 9'x9', although the door swings inwards, and the room is in the roof of the house so there are steep pitched walls. This meant that the layout size is limited to around 8'x7'6''. The plan is to have the boards going round the outside with the thickest part being around 2'6'' and the thinest about 1'. I'm hoping to build it in two tiers. The main one will be the standard height and then there will be a lower section in which I will have a large viaduct spanning a valley.

So far, I'm not sure weather I'll have a Four or Two track mainline. Either way, I'm designing the outer loop so that it can be converted to use Hornby's Live Steam. As well as a continuous loop mainline, I'm also planning to have an end-to-end branch line on which I can run smaller saddle tank loco's. I have had ideas to make a 009 Gauge line running off this to a quarry, but I think I'm going against this. I also can't decide weather or not to have a tunnel that is covered up or to have an open one with a fiddleyard.

I already have lots of Rolling Stock and Loco's from my Old Layout, I focus mainly on Early - Late 50's. This to me is the most interesting time as British Railways had just been formed and Steam engines were begging to be phased out to make way for Diesel Power, but I like the early diesels like the Deltic, Class 37 and the Hymek, they have much more character to them than nowadays.

So far, I've tried making a few designs on Xtracad, but to no avail. I think I need to try and figure it out a bit first!

Anyways, I'll keep you posted with pictures and babble about any further developments on this project!

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:58 pm

hi
sounds really good, a room, a plan and your eye for modelling will make a great build to follow, look forward to it
michael

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:29 am

Good luck with the move fella and heres to the new layout

Cheers

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

Lofty

Postby Lofty » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:45 am

Yes, Good luck

Will it be classed as a Loft railway :?:

Lofty

rmg1919

Re: Owen's Layout

Postby rmg1919 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:49 am

thebuisnessman wrote:I'm not sure weather I'll have a Four or Two track mainline.

Could always compromise and go for 3? Would make operations a bit more interesting too...

Good luck with things - and the house move! - and look forward to seeing progress!

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:46 pm

welcome to the forum, hope it all goes well for you.....

Gav.
Watford FC For Me Since 1976

thebuisnessman

Postby thebuisnessman » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:46 pm

The Move went alright. I'm surprise at how quickly I've got stuff sorted out and got back online. I also got chatting with one of the Removal Men and he is a major model railway nut. We got chatting and he mentioned a few useful techniques. He said that he has over 200 Loco's, and his layout consists of 20 Something mainlines on different tiers - that's dedication!

Anyway, my Model Room is chock-a-block with Boxes of railway bits and my stash of Airfix and Revell Kits etc. I should hopefully be getting the boards up during the easter holidays, fingers crossed!

I'll Keep Y'All Posted!

heinz

Postby heinz » Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:36 am

Great news!

Moving is always a bit hairy.

Good luck look foward to hear more 8)

cheers heinz

thebuisnessman

Postby thebuisnessman » Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:35 pm

I've been making a few plans over the last few days, and this seems to be the best plan I've come up with:

Oversized image - less than 700 wide please
(I can try and do a larger image if anyone could help me with the below)

I was wondering if someone could convert this hand drawn layout plan into Xtracad for me as I am absolutely pants at trying to use it! I did just find HVR2 however, I thought I had sold it but obviously not! I'm going to try and make a layout using that, but I would be most grateful if someone could do the XtraCad layout for me as it acts as a much better guide for building the thing than HVR2.

Cheers,

Owen

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:55 pm

hello
i'l have a play with xtrkcad if i get some time between wiring projects. what track are you planning on using? is it 00?
nice looking plan. i will say one thing though you may have slightly under estimated your sizes :D and i've slightly understated that statement!! for example it looks like you've got a whole fiddle yard in 1 square foot by your turntable!! of course it may be n
michael

stourportprop

Postby stourportprop » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:01 pm

Thats gona be a wicked layout Owen, :D

T'Other Tim
TIGERS DID THE DOUBLE!!!

thebuisnessman

Postby thebuisnessman » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:36 pm

Sorry, I should have said, it is in 00!

I know about the Fiddle Yard, if you have got time, you could use your artistic license to make something a bit better. I'm after about three engine sheds, four wagon/shunting sidings and a couple of carriage shed sidings (to use two of the Ratio kits.

You could also use your artistic license to simplify the branchline/mainline/fiddleyard turnouts. I wasn't thinking straight when I did those and they are really complex!

Thanks for the offer of doing it on Xtracad, I will be most grateful if you can do it! :D

thebuisnessman

Postby thebuisnessman » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:44 pm

Oh yes, I forgot to add...

On the small branch line station, I forgot to add a modification. I have decided that I'm now going to have the line continuing on, going under the mainline into a tunnel to give the impression that the line continues :idea: :D

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:24 pm

thebuisnessman wrote:Oh yes, I forgot to add...

On the small branch line station, I forgot to add a modification. I have decided that I'm now going to have the line continuing on, going under the mainline into a tunnel to give the impression that the line continues :idea: :D

why just the impression of continuing, why not try to have it run below your main board round to the other side to reappear somewhere and join back up to your main lines? :D
also, about the track question, as well as 00, i should have been clearer.. will it be peco or hornby?
michael

thebuisnessman

Postby thebuisnessman » Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:53 pm

I'm intending to use Streamline Spacing for the Mainline, with Streamline Turnouts on the Mainline.

I'm going to use my existing Hornby and Peco Setrack Turnouts for the Sidings and Branch line though. All the Straights and Curves across the layout (Minus the sidings) will be Flexitrack. BTW, the branchline is at a lower level to the Mainline. I don't think I'll have it continuing hidden away as this will mean there will be too much boardwork. I like the idea of it hiding away :D

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”