Spavo's N Gauge Adventure..........

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Derek

Postby Derek » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:52 pm

Looks like a good set there, Gav. I did the same, bought a Farish set off ebay about half list price (passenger express- hardly used) and, as you say, it's a useful starter as you get a transformer, controller, track and rolling stock; you can start running locos within about half an hour of receiving it.

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:41 pm

Thanks for the encouragement Les, I can't see me getting to your standard in any quick time but the inspiration is there for all to see, your layout is awesome......

Cheers Derek, as you say, a starter set has got to be the way to go as you need all the bits and pieces to start with.....

Let's hope the old postman hurries along to me by next weekend so I can have a productive time trying 54 different track layouts!

Cheers all and have a good weekend,

Gav.
Watford FC For Me Since 1976

FishBowlMan

Postby FishBowlMan » Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:10 am

Spavo wrote:I really fancy an 08 to shunt around the sidings, I'm not sure what these are like over pointwork but I am sure it will be fine.....
Hi Gav,
I bought an 08 from Mike (Dinmore Manor) just before Christmas last year and I've had no real problems with it. I've had an occasional derail or jump over the points, but as I am using a combination of Fleischmann and Minitrix points - most of which are either 20+ years old from when I was a kid, or recently purchased 2nd hand - I don't see it as a major problem.

I must learn to drive a bit more carefully :D

John.
There is no room inside a box.

MrT

Postby MrT » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:52 am

Spavo wrote:Hey Mike,

I have just re-read your complete forum and it is full of inspiration, I have obviously read it before but really enjoyed going back to page 1, day 1 and seeing just how far you have come, it has given me a real boost to see that it can be done with plenty of enthusiasm.....

Alright Gav,

Glad you like the thread - I'm not getting any time to work on mine at the moment!

You look a bit more organised than me - I really should have painted my board before laying my track, as you have.

Good choice of starter set btw, I have a 33 and its one of my best runners, nippy little thing!

Good luck, and I hope you get as much enjoyment from your layout as I have from mine.

ATB

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:42 pm

Thanks Mike,

Obviously still waiting for Postman Paco to deliver some bits so I can start on the track plan but 1 thing I will need to know in advance is.....

Gradient in N gauge, in mm or cm what I am I looking at for a realistic and feasible gradient please anyone?

I am going to use 5 x 4 cm wooden pillars to hold the raised track sections up but what to lay the track on, is 4mm ply too thick?

Any advice welcome please....

Thanks,

Gav.

FishBowlMan

Postby FishBowlMan » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:17 pm

Hi Gav,

here is a link to a post in my layout thread showing my incline. I've basically used scrap cuts of about 15mm thick mdf as I had loads laying around.

http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 9864#59864

In terms of the gradient - mine works out at around 1:37. I decided my incline would take a branch line train consisting of 3 carriages, so I tested a loco with 4 heavyish coaches and adjusted to suit. Difficult to do if you don't currently have any stock, but a worthwhile test if you can afford to hang on a bit.

What size (weight) trains are you planning on running? I've had about 20 "7-plank" wagons running up mine with no problems. Most of them have a small amount of lead weight added as I found this helped when traversing points, but is obviously hrder to pull uphill. They also come back down at a fair rate of knots if they become uncoupled :shock: , so I'd recommend not having too sharp a curve at the bottom of the incline. This also allows you to build up a bit of speed before climbing.

Hope this helps mate,

John.

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:08 am

Thanks John that's great,

I will only be running small wagon freights and maybe a DMU so I should be ok somewhere near you gradient, I guess it's best to test it once everything is here before gluing everything in place!

Good advice though thanks......

Gav.

FishBowlMan

Postby FishBowlMan » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:34 am

No problem Gav - glad to help.

With the trains you mentioned, you should certainly be able to go steeper than my incline if you need to - especially if you're going up 40mm (my branch line is about 70mm above baseboard height). The new Grafar engines seem more powerful than the old Minitrix ones I have, but even my Minitrix 2-6-2 Ivatt has no problems; my Grafar 0-6-0 Jinty and 08 class don't really notice the difference.

Am really looking forward to this taking shape.

John.

stevegant

Postby stevegant » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:06 pm

Gav - an alternative way that I have used to make a gradient is to build the track up on layers of cork tiles cut to size. This allows all of the track to be fully supported. The cork layers can be easily sanded to give a smooth transition. My gradient starts on a curve and I have banked the track by a couple of degrees which I find helps all stock stay on the rails and looks a little more natural.

Look forward to seeing this develop............ :D

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:08 pm

any sign of the the postman yet?

Derek

Postby Derek » Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:05 pm

mumbles wrote:any sign of the the postman yet?

LOL, funnily enough, I was just thinking the same thing!
(It's always fun seeing a new layout starting ;))

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:12 pm

Thanks Steve for the tips with the gradient, that sounds like a good idea to fully support all the track up the incline.....looking forward to giving it a try....

No postman yet guys......pooh! I am hopeful for tomorrow as if I only get some of the track I can at least start to mark out the layout on the baseboard and begin to finalise my plan so hopefully I will have some news very soon......

All the best and cheers,

Gav.

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:37 pm

Tell Postamn Paco he gotta da sacko :wink:
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

bunji

Postby bunji » Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:43 pm

Il Postino Pat!
Il Postino Pat!

(Sorry, Harry Enfield gag. :) ) Hope he comes soon; this looks like a great project. :D

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:09 pm

bunji wrote:Il Postino Pat!
Il Postino Pat!

(Sorry, Harry Enfield gag. :) ) Hope he comes soon; this looks like a great project. :D

Superb sketch, especially the pidgeon hole cabinet in the background with three compartments for "POSTA" "PASTA" and "PESTO"
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”