Spavo's N Gauge Adventure..........

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Spavo

Spavo's N Gauge Adventure..........

Postby Spavo » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:58 pm

Hey Everyone,

So after much umming and ahhing on here looking at some of the amazing N gauge layouts I have finally given in and decided to give it a go even though my OO layout isn't finished yet....hmmmm gonna be busy!

The difference with this new layout is that I am going to take a lot longer in creating it and hopefully make far fewer mistakes.......oh and spend less cash as I can hardly afford to do this but I thought I would take it slow and spread the cost a little.....

I have been very lucky indeed in the fact that I have Tim, Mumbles (Michael) and Derek helping me out on a suitable track plan....here it is so far with a few amendments to come....

I love the idea of this trackplan as it goes end to end 2 different ways and also has a long long loop available to run something around, I am very excited about it.....

I am going to run Modern stock only, no passenger or only a small one in the shape of a 2 or 3 car DMU and only small loco's and wagons, the idea is a provincial branch line somewhere with some industry, oil and a lot of hilly countryside.......

So the baseboard then, it is 203cm wide by 72cm deep...it is a door that I was using as a workbench just below my shelving for my OO layout.

Here are the pics...

Well this is messy....

That's a bit better.....

Let's turn it over and see the other side of the door.....

Now all I need is some nice horrible paint.....this stuff is perfect, it says "Horrible Brown" on the lid, spot on!

Much better!

I am going to try to make a little optical illusion on the wall at the back of the board by painting the wall so it extends the colours on the board.....at the side will be a very simple board approx 20cm high on which I will paint a backscene of just greens and browns merging into a blue sky....I have seen this done on here somewhere and it looked great!

Trackwork will be all peco, some setrack, some flex etc.

I have had to decide to buy a starter set from the off as I am starting with nothing so at least this will give me something to start with to measure trackwork etc etc, also a controller. That will be it for now though as the old cashflow will dry up if I'm not careful so want to spread it out over a fair few months......

So that's it! Off we go, wait for the postman and some track and hope the guys get genius on the track plan as I am useless at it!

All the best, more updates as we go along......

Gav.
Watford FC For Me Since 1976

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:12 pm

and lo, the n thread appeared :D
lets see if these two links work properly

i can send you the xtrkcad file if you want to tinker with it to your requirements?
michael

TerryB
Location: Loftbrough Central [aka ....a spider infested loft in Rotherham]

Re: Spavo's N Gauge Adventure..........

Postby TerryB » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:19 pm

Spavo wrote:
I am going to try to make a little optical illusion on the wall at the back of the board by painting the wall so it extends the colours on the board.....at the side will be a very simple board approx 20cm high on which I will paint a backscene of just greens and browns merging into a blue sky....I have seen this done on here somewhere and it looked great!

Hi Gav ...........I tried painting some boards in a similar fashion on my layout ..........some parts of it looked :? .....errr .... :oops: "better than other parts" :oops: .........I found throwing a small amout of mixed grass scatter on the green paint whilst it was still wet helped the illusion ....there's parts of it I aint happy with and intend to do again tho.
Keep us informed with the pics of the "N" guage .............looking forward to seeing the completed layout.
Terry
I know it's the fastest .....but why did they have to name it after a duck?

FishBowlMan

Postby FishBowlMan » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:24 pm

Hi Gav,

welcome to the 'N Club'. The track plan looks very good so far - as you said there's plenty of room to run stock with the loops, and a nice size to get stuck into the scenery.

Will be watching this with interest,

John.
There is no room inside a box.

Derek

Postby Derek » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:24 pm

Love the 'Horrible Brown' Gav
"It's plastico mate!!" :)

I think Mumbles has done a great job getting the plan just right.

Looking forward to seeing the progress.

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:26 pm

Genius Michael,

Thank you so much, I am over the moon with the track plan, looks perfect! My gratitude to Terry and Tim of course.....you guys are the business!

Don't worry about the colour of the baseboard Terry, I just use this as a base coat, I like you, in fact I probably copied it from you! Tend you use thick wet paint with the scatter then sprinkled onto it once I know the areas I need the colour for.....

And it is plastico mate Derek! I love how the spanish have labelled it with codes and numbers and I have just written Horrible Brown on it, typical of me that.....

Next will be getting the track plan installed and then to get some colour going on, all in good time though, not rushing this one!

Cheers to all,

Gav.

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:41 pm

Just one thing please......I will be running DC, where will the power point be and how many do I need for this track plan?

Thanks,

Gav.

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:37 pm

Spavo wrote:Just one thing please......I will be running DC, where will the power point be and how many do I need for this track plan?

Thanks,

Gav.

hi gav
ouch, having looked at it, erm er.. :?:
the second of the 2 plans has a return loop, this would need wiring up as per return loops if you were to use it like that
the first plan doen't have it, its the bit of track above the double slip that does it. i would say the first is much easier to wire up but the second adds quite a few more options of where you can take trains to and from. having said all that about return loops i would say there would not be a problem with reversed polarity [but may be wrong, depends on how you set points], as trains would be leaving the middle yard area, going round under the tunnel and across that extra bit of track i mentioned above the slip to go round and back to the lines on the bottom right, effectively that bit of track is for an extra end to end option
does that make sense.
as for power feeds, as many as possible, on switches to reverse polarity and with as many isolating sections as you can be bothered with
i think :!:
sorry, i don't know if thats much help. but hey thats the fun of the forum, i'm sure someone can help with a 'where to put power and stuff diagram'
michael

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:04 am

Thanks Michael,

That's ok, I will be going with a slightly modified version of plan 1, I quite like the idea of NOT being able to access all lines from the right hand sidings and will have to marshall stock to the left 1st, looks perfect to me, I might lose the double switch too for an extra pointwork crossover but will see when the track gets here and I can play a bit!

Thanks again,

Gavin.

MrT

Postby MrT » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:30 am

Good luck with it all Gav, I will watch this thread with interest. Welcome to N gauge!

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:40 pm

Hey Mike,

I have just re-read your complete forum and it is full of inspiration, I have obviously read it before but really enjoyed going back to page 1, day 1 and seeing just how far you have come, it has given me a real boost to see that it can be done with plenty of enthusiasm.....

I can't wait to get started, well for the track to arrive anyhow so at least I can play, my track plan isn't completely finalised but it will involve a small station, an oil depot and some sidings for minerals etc.

Also it will be very hilly with tracks running on 3 levels with a couple of bridges....watch this space.....

You just know now that I will end up with a circle of track!

All the best,

Gav.

Derek

Postby Derek » Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:48 pm

Gav, did you buy a starter set?
If so, which one?
(I seem to remember you saying this layout would be all/mostly (?) freight?)

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:54 pm

Hi Derek,

Yes I did go for the starter set, there is quite a limited choice really so I went for this one....

I think it is good as start as any and I didn't really want a big loco and all those large fuel tankers, but of course I do need controller etc etc

I really want to run just 2 or 3 green diesels, or blue for that matter, very small platform and branch line station for a 2 or 3 car DMU in green or blue and make it up with lots of smaller freight wagons....

Hope this sounds ok, it is kind of how I visualise it anyway.......

Cheers,

Gav.

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:09 pm

And here's another few things on the old "Wish List".......

I really fancy an 08 to shunt around the sidings, I'm not sure what these are like over pointwork but I am sure it will be fine.....

Hmmmmm so nice but expensive and out of my budget for a while.....

And I'm thinking about a fair few of these.....

Hope you all approve.......

Cheers,

Gav.

surf1845

Postby surf1845 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:57 pm

Great to see another N gauger! The plan looks brilliant. I think you're doing the right thing....spending lots of time planning. Good luck with the project.
Les

Visit my N gauge layout

What's that burning smell....?

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”