Jeremy's narrow gauge layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
redline41190

Jeremy's narrow gauge layout

Postby redline41190 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:04 pm

well, as an american I find all of (or most of) the trains here very very cool. 8)

I myself am building a 4x8 On30/ 16.5mm layout. It doesnt have a name, nor purpose (yet) :?
its a very basic track plan with room for addition (lots of addition). I dont have the time, now, to take photos so later.

right now the rolling stock consists of a Bachmann On30 2-6-0, a bachmann passenger car, flat car, and gondola. For my birthday I have asked for the wrightlines Bagnall 0-4-0ST (16.5mm) kit along with other wrightlines kits for rolling stock. Any ideas out there? perhaps a name. I can't wait to see this through!

( I love narrow gauge, obviously)

FishBowlMan

Postby FishBowlMan » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:13 pm

Sounds like fun, Jeremy. Welcome to the forums and I look forward to seeing progress with this one,

John.
There is no room inside a box.

redline41190

pictures

Postby redline41190 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:42 am

got some pictures, but had to take them with my phone so they arent the best quality...

this is the first side, the track in the back to goes around the backdrop to the other side. (duh)
the track comes out on the curve at the top of the screen. The sidings go all the way down the board where they re-join.
Here is the locomotive and passenger car that I own, they are on the out-side passing loop. These will soon be replaced by the Bagnall, and some Glyn Valley Tramway coaches. (I hope)
The track goes into a tunnel and comes out here. and splits again into two passing sidings.

the two tracks that go off in the middle of the layout connect in the middle to create a reversing loop. I will add a slate mine eventually on the side where all the grass is. it will be above the tunnel that passes through the center of the back drop.

-Jeremy
There are two ways to do things... The Great Western way, and the wrong way.

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:10 am

Hi Jeremy

Glad to have another overseas member. Also nice to see something a little different to the 'norm' (says he being an '00' British outline enthusiast! :roll: )

Like that loco and looking forward to seeing your efforts progress further

Cheers matey

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

redline41190

Postby redline41190 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:30 pm

since I'm going to be changing the layout to 16.5mm scale for my little Bagnall and Quarry Hunslet... I think that I should change the name, of the layout... it is currently called the Pacific Coast Central. I was thinking that I would make it something with that had to do with slate or coal; like Rheilffordd Caertalfryn ( I believe that rheilffordd means railway, does it not?) Which serves the Celedig (concealed) slate mines, in Welsh Celedig llech chloddia :D. Caertalfryn (Hill Town) is on the slate mine side (the side the locomotive is on in the picture) of the layout (rather, will be); and Porthcadell (Battle Port) is on the other side where the minimal amount of grass is... but more towards the back. Such a typical setup... slate mine and port... looks like I'll have to invest in a bigger locomotive for those "mainline" slate trains... (Hmmm... but it seems that there are no "port" class hunslets available for 16.5 mm gauge.. I need a Cackler, or Dolbadarn! Perhaps a "Dolgoch" would suffice...). are there other places to get narrow gauge (welsh!) 16.5mm stuff other than key kits? I cant seem to find any...
Sorry for the many parenthesis and ellipses... :shock:
Jeremy :D

redline41190

Postby redline41190 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:25 pm

so I started putting the track nails into the track, and got about half way done when I realized that I was putting them in too far creating many bumps in the track :oops: but now I know better... dont hit track nails with a hammer too many times...

tinsleytmd

Postby tinsleytmd » Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:30 pm

is their a trackplan for this layout?

James

Postby James » Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:13 am

Jeremy

welcome

you are over in the States modelling UK Railways

I am in England trying to model American Diesel operations

regards

James
James :0)

bunji

Postby bunji » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:23 am

Very nice start! There are some other manufacturers of 7mm scale NG kits, notably Backwoods Miniatures, Mercian Models, Chivers, Langley Models, Smallbrook Studios, Springside Models and Pepper7. There's also a manufacturer called Branchlines, which closes from Mid-March until after Easter. A catalogue for them can be ordered by sending an email:

sales [at] branchlines.com

Also, the link for Smallbrook Studios is not the official one as the owner does not have a website. Hence, it does not stock all the models. If you want his illustrated catalogue, try contacting him on his email:

michaelnarayner [at] supanet.com

Hope this helps.

:)

redline41190

Postby redline41190 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:10 pm

thanks all!

ill try to get a track plan up sometime... soon.. I hope..

redline41190

Postby redline41190 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:18 pm

bunji wrote:Very nice start! There are some other manufacturers of 7mm scale NG kits, notably

Hope this helps.

:)

this was very very helpful; thank you bunji :D . Does anyone know what chassis I can use for the Hunslet on the small brook studios page? I can see that its an 0-4-0 and OO scale but dont know a suitable chassis...

I love how every thing is soooo expensive :D £101.95 = $192.00 :P

heinz

Postby heinz » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:23 am

nice stuff mate 8)

bunji

Postby bunji » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:34 am

I believe that the vast majority of Smallbrook Studio kits use the simple Hornby 'Smokey Joe' chassis. They're available for 15 quid from him, although I'd email him first and check if that's right. :)

redline41190

Postby redline41190 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:17 pm

quid= £? I presume?
I'll email both people and get catalogues. Birthday in two weeks!! :D

I'm excited :shock:

heinz

Postby heinz » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:35 am

Birthdays rock y0!

8)

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”