Jeremy's narrow gauge layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
redline41190

Postby redline41190 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:37 pm

so I was thinking about rolling stock again, and here are the pieces that I want for the layout, and since the birthday is coming up... I'm thinkin presents :D

Engines First 8) :
Choice Number One (and probably my birthday present)
The Wrightlines "Pen" Hunslet
"Dot" Hunslet, this would be engine No.2 (or No.3 depending on if I get a Bagnall)
The R&H 4WD diesel No.6

of course an 0-4-0 Bagnall No.2
A Kerr Stuart "Skylark" 0-4-2 for mainline trains, No.4
my absolute favorite, a Kerr Stuart "Tattoo" class engine No.5 for passenger services, would replace the "Skylark" No.4

Here's a list of names for the engines, and since I'm bias against diesels (not really, but hey, I love steam engines) the R&H wont have a name.
No.1 - Talfryn (High hill)
No.2- "Llew" (Lion) (Hunslet) "Rhys" (Enthusiasm) (Bagnall)
No.3- "Dafydd" (David)
No.4- "Cadogan" (Glory in battle)
No.5- "Taliesin" (Shining brow), yes its the Ffestiniog's engine name, I think...
No.6- "No.6" (Its the diesel :D )

The names will be painted on the boiler of each engine, and the number on one side of the cab. I'm thinking a red/ maroon color with gold and white (or just white) striping. I cant wait to get the first kit :lol: sooo excited :shock:
There are two ways to do things... The Great Western way, and the wrong way.

redline41190

Rolling Stock

Postby redline41190 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:48 pm

yay I made a new page!

now for the rolling stock:
Coaches:
Wrightlines Glyn Valley tramway coaches, these depend on how much money I get for my birthday, they are expensive...
these are the PECO coaches, I like how versatile the kits are, they are also less expensive than the other ones, plus they remind me of the Talyllyn Railway

Wagons & vans
Glyn Valley tramway box van and guard van
PECO Van, once again more affordable.
PECO slate wagon, it looks a little too high, and the wheels are way to big.
PECO mineral wagon, for coal and dirt :D

Numbers for each:
Coaches: 3 Peco coaches, or Two Glyn valley coaches
Box Van: 4 PECO, or 3 Glyn valley
Slate Wagon: 12 wagons
mineral wagon: 5 wagons
brake vans: 2 brake vans

the coaches will be painted in a similar color to the Talyllyn coaches, and the wagons will be painted and weathered.

redline41190

track plan! :)

Postby redline41190 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:57 am

here be the trackplan that has been wanted by some, its incredibly simple and basic. :oops:

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:19 am

Wonderful stuff mate. Lovely looking models

Cheers

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

mycerbera

Postby mycerbera » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:53 am

Are any of these engines OO gauge? I love the little green one, where can i get one from if they work on OO track?

bunji

Postby bunji » Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:13 pm

Those are some smashing looking engines! You can really appreciate the detail in larger scales. Excellent track plan too, although that curve to the Celedig slate mines looks a little tight.

mycerbera wrote:Are any of these engines OO gauge? I love the little green one, where can i get one from if they work on OO track?

All of those locos are 0-16.5 which means they run on OO gauge track. However, they are O scale so they wont fit in with the rest of your OO locos. You can purchase them from KeyKits. I'm looking into buying a Dolgoch just to go on show! :D

redline41190

Postby redline41190 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:53 pm

bunji wrote:Those are some smashing looking engines! You can really appreciate the detail in larger scales. Excellent track plan too, although that curve to the Celedig slate mines looks a little tight.

yes it is very tight, less than 15" radius, flex-track does wonders :D

thats why i'm getting only 4 wheeled engines to go around it, I'm not going to build it until i get them to test clearance and such.

I too want a Dolgoch model, but its really expensive (for me :oops: ) and probably too large for my radius to the mine.

redline41190

Dolgoch

Postby redline41190 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:59 pm

I think it would look good in maroon, or TR green... But here's the model that Bunji and I were talking about :D

Lofty

Postby Lofty » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:10 pm

Not my personal cup of tea, but you have some mighty fine looking models 8)

Lofty

bunji

Postby bunji » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:34 pm

Done up like this it would look an absolute treat! :D

redline41190

Postby redline41190 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:49 am

what gauge it that Dolgoch Bunji? it looks a lot larger than 16.5, perhaps live steam? :D

redline41190

Postby redline41190 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:52 am

back to progress.
I tested that tight curve around the side, and it seems that my "James" (TTTE) model can negotiate the turn so, i figured that the little 0-4-0s can too as James is an 2-6-0. And I will most likely be getting that "Pen" hunslet along with money to buy rolling stock for my birthday, so I look forward to building it. How hard is it to build a white metal kit?

bunji

Postby bunji » Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:51 pm

The Dolgoch shown above is a 5" gauge model. Some chap makes kits for them in 5" and 7 1/4" gauges - might have to convince dear mummy and daddy to get a second mortgage. :)

I'm building a 009 whitemetal kit of Prince at the moment and it is quite easy. I've had no loco building experience before and its going together a treat. I think I prefer plastic as a modelling medium though - whitemetal's quite chunky. You need to be careful with drilling it too - go too fast and the whitemetal will melt and break the drill bit!

Then again, Prince construction has been in-progress for more than half a year now; does that say something about me or the kit? :lol:

redline41190

Postby redline41190 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:11 pm

bunji wrote:The Dolgoch shown above is a 5" gauge model. Some chap makes kits for them in 5" and 7 1/4" gauges - might have to convince dear mummy and daddy to get a second mortgage. :)

I'm building a 009 whitemetal kit of Prince at the moment and it is quite easy. I've had no loco building experience before and its going together a treat. I think I prefer plastic as a modelling medium though - whitemetal's quite chunky. You need to be careful with drilling it too - go too fast and the whitemetal will melt and break the drill bit!

Then again, Prince construction has been in-progress for more than half a year now; does that say something about me or the kit? :lol:

yes I should go take out a loan to get one of those... i would love a live steam Dolgoch... :wink:

I was told by a person at my local hobby shop that I could put the kit together with super glue, or 5min epoxy. Others have told me to solder it...
Bunji- since you are (still :P ) building your prince kit, did it have any holes drilled? or have you had to drill them all? I wonder if they may come drilled on the kit that I want; because it is a larger gauge... Chassis work (putting together) will be fun too... I've heard horror stories about that.. :?
makes me kind nervous about doing it, but its an inside frame loco, so it should be easier than putting an outside frame loco together. Anyone have any tips or advice on that (or model building in general)?
-Jeremy

redline41190

Postby redline41190 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:13 pm

just out of interest; can anyone read my signature? without translating it? if you know a little welsh you should be able to read a word or two, even more so if you've been to the Talyllyn Railway...

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”