OllyG: Great Northern Railway

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
m.levin

Postby m.levin » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:26 pm

SOLD :wink:

ollyg16

Postby ollyg16 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:23 pm

Mother in law dispatched, as agreed.

Here is a mug shot, so you will recognise her.

"You will never be good enough........................" will be her secret password. She will say this every 15 mins: Same as a chime on a clock, but with added venom.

Let me know how it works out for you.................

Olly

PS: Kids will come after they have finished weathering and ballasting.

MrT

Postby MrT » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:29 pm

ollyg16 wrote:"You will never be good enough........................" will be her secret password. She will say this every 15 mins: Same as a chime on a clock, but with added venom.

Having just met my gf's grandmother for the first time (and without going into too much detail) I actually laughed out loud at that one!

The layout is looking great Olly.

ollyg16

Postby ollyg16 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:52 pm

Mr Levin: Thanks for your business.

Mr T: I sympathise. Methinks your silver lining has a cloud!

Micheal, Micheal, Matthew, Aiden, Edward and Lofty: Thank you all for your kind comments. We all love "The Trains". Its a constant battle between a toy and accurate modelling. I have espesially enjoyed teaching my son how to use tools etc.

Back on topic, after an amusing interlude.

We were taking photos of the trains zooming round the other day, and came up with some interesting shots:

ollyg16

Postby ollyg16 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:28 pm

After several unconfirmed reports of an unidentified monster terrorising the locals, along with unidentified sticky trails of goo appearing on the layout: today the culprit was caught on camera!

I feel sorry for the people fishing on the boat!

PS slug goo seriously affects train running. It stops the trains dead.

K9-70

Postby K9-70 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:32 pm

ollyg16 wrote;

After several unconfirmed reports of an unidentified monster terrorising the locals

By gum lad, looks like you've found the Lough Neagh monster at last :lol:

K9-70
The Rides the "REASON" the "DESTINATION" is only an "EXCUSE" :-).

ollyg16

Postby ollyg16 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:21 am

How long do they live for? There have been slimey trails appearing for about a week. Could there be more than one? How did it/they up onto the layout? How do they survive the cold? Have they stolen my hammer. Should I charge rent?

Too many questions, too few answers.

K9-70

Postby K9-70 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:25 pm

ollyg16 wrote;
How long do they live for? There have been slimey trails appearing for about a week. Could there be more than one? How did it/they up onto the layout? How do they survive the cold? Have they stolen my hammer. Should I charge rent?

Too many questions, too few answers.

Don't know how long they live for, but I do know how to get rid of them :) Slug pellets, or good old household SALT :D

If you want to keep them as pets, they love dog/cat food 8) (seriously).

K9-70
The Rides the "REASON" the "DESTINATION" is only an "EXCUSE" :-).

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:40 pm

i reckon just go in with a crate of bottled beer and drink it all
then leave the bottles on their sides with just a small amount of beer left in them or use a old pot half filled with beer
did i mention beer?

:D

iankemp

Postby iankemp » Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:26 pm

put a circle of salt around your layout that will deter the lil buggers. Like ya say the slime is NASTY for train delays!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only thing is you will have to clean up the bodies if they get on the salt. Make sure you don't miss a gap though, make sure you put plenty down!!!

What will cost more Salt or Trains?? Go for the cheaper option!!!!

ollyg16

Postby ollyg16 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:30 pm

Thanks for tall the slug catching tips. The beer traps are empty of slugs (try Guinness tonight), but no more activity from the invaders. Beer on tap for them tonight and rings of salt around the legs (unless they parachute in?)

Apart from that, a mildly depressing day in the tin shed: we started work on the main curved station platforms today. The problems arose when using scale height platforms. Clearance meant that the platforms looked miles away from the rails.

I opted for lower platforms, that the longer carriges clear. They look closer to the rails, but look a little strange next to the trains.

Because this compromise started to annoy me, tempers rose, the kids left in a huff and regular cups of tea from the misses dried up.

The end result is not as clean as I would like it. I forgot to paint the sides of the platform before I stuck it down. There is still some work to do. I need a bridge and some more dressing. Ballasting the rails made the platforms appear even lower.

Any ideas / comments......................?

ollyg16

Postby ollyg16 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:51 pm

We have spent the day making some Metcalfe kits for the main station: a footbridge (as promised) and a station building.

I found that making these with an 8 year old was EXTREMELY stressful. Let's just say that the glue control was dubious.

All things considered, we are pleased with the results. They really help the scene take shape, although they are not "set" in finished positon yet.

Still some work to do.

ollyg16

Re: OllyG: Great Northern Railway

Postby ollyg16 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:04 am

A few photos to prove I am still around. ie: a bumpdate.

This layout is causing some heartache: it was very close to going to the knackers yard today. I am at the "carry on or start again stage". Plans are afoot for a smaller layout for us to hone our substandard techniques.

Decisions, decisions...................

ollyg16

Postby ollyg16 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:33 pm

Yesterday:

Today:

THE END!

beerandpies

Postby beerandpies » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:37 pm

*a moments silence*
cheers, Mark.