The Woodburn Valley Tramway, Gn15

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
dr5euss

The Woodburn Valley Tramway, Gn15

Postby dr5euss » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:09 pm

Hi,

I'm going to an exhibit at Telford Narrow Gauge in July, and also 'the biggun' at Warley, but the only set back is the lack of layout... :?

As I have the loft layout, the On30 one with the big black locos, I'd like to make a smaller one that separates into two modules. They won't have legs (the standard exhibition table is 6ft by 2ft) so I can literally watch in, set them down, latch them together and I'm set. The fireproof drapes are someone else's problem too ;)

Anyway, my Climax (the big black loco) only goes round 22" curves (far bigger than I'm used to) so I don't want to do a roundy roundy.

This is my first plan I've come up with. Actually, that's a lie. I've come up for 5 or 6 others, but each one is slowly improving, and I'm not rushing in to start making it. Pete says it's something called research. :roll:

Its set in logging county; boxcars, log skeletons, tankers and flatcars, all loaded with saws and other interesting bits of machinery I have to scratchbuild (though I may use k....ki....kits. There, said it :) ). I was going to do a sawmill but I don't have a large enough area on the portable one.

Back to the plan...when first designed, the back was the front and the front was the back....but I thought if I stick building's in the front you'll see nowt at front, so I swung it round. What do you guys think? It's tarted up to look nice :)

Last edited by dr5euss on Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:23 pm

looks good, which of the lines continues off scene at the ends? and what would be your chosen method of scenic break? tunnel through a sequoia? :D
michael

dr5euss

Postby dr5euss » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:26 pm

Hi,

Thanks :) There's actually no scenic break...that's it. When I designed it back to front, the long left hand siding at the front was going to be a fiddle yard, but now it's swung round, I dunno :?

It seems to have a nice central focus though, and to break that up with scenic dividers would look wrong, I think.

Maybe I'll add a tunnel in somewhere. I'll definitely give it some thought though, thanks :D

Tepic

Postby Tepic » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:29 pm

Maybe I'll add a tunnel in somewhere.

Maybe some log built portal? That'd look nice!

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:31 pm

i meant scenic break more in terms of at the ends, maybe the wrong term :oops:
so the top left line, is that through a cutting or up an embankment or neither!?
michael

dr5euss

Postby dr5euss » Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:06 pm

Top left is a very low trestle, maybe 1 inch high, just to carry it over an area of different level.

dr5euss

Postby dr5euss » Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:54 pm

Managed to get a loop in, 'cos HRH Bunji said it was unoperatable otherwise :roll:

Too cluttered with track now?

bunji

Postby bunji » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:08 pm

dr5euss wrote:Managed to get a loop in, 'cos HRH Bunji said it was unoperatable otherwise

It's nice to be addressed by my proper title. 8)

I never said it would be unoperatable (nice word) - I said it might get frustrating. That new plan is perfect! :)

It's nice to see that you respect my opinion as an operator enough as to mess around with Xtrkcad conforming to my ideas. :D

dr5euss

Postby dr5euss » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:10 pm

Respect? Hell no, I just don't want you whinging all weekend :wink:

bunji

Postby bunji » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:11 pm

dr5euss wrote:Respect? Hell no, I just don't want you whinging all weekend :wink:

I take stop-whinging bribes in the form of pork scratchings. :wink:

pointstaken

Postby pointstaken » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:22 pm

dr5euss wrote:Too cluttered with track now?

George,
I would think that's the minimum track you could get away with at a exhibition. Not a scenic break, but if moved the buildings to the right, the line could "disappear" over the trestle and behind some trees, still fulfilling a fiddle yard function. Any comment ?

Dennis
I know nothing, but much I believe

dr5euss

Postby dr5euss » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:26 pm

Hi Dennis,

Guess you're right about the track :) Not sure about moving the buildings, but you've given me an idea to put something in that gap, then I could block off the back.

Jut my view, but I don't like backscenes in the middle of boards, because when the track comes out from behind it looks wierd. I could add some trees, a shack or two and still scenic the fiddle yard with bits of lichen and ballast etc, but I could still change wagons without distracting the viewer. So like you say, not a backscene, just a viewblock.

suchahampal

Postby suchahampal » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:29 pm

I think it looks as good as your creations normally are, if not better. Even my friend, Dylan, said your Warley layout was good (when Dylan and I went to the NEC exibition thingy.) :D

locoworks

Postby locoworks » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:28 am

you could put a tardis on there and have that leading to the fiddle yard?? :?

dr5euss

Postby dr5euss » Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:05 pm

I've found this plan:

http://sloat_lumber_co.tripod.com/portable.jpg

It's got a fiddle yard and run-round....hmmmmm :?

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”