Moel Eilio - OO9

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Curious Orange

Postby Curious Orange » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:50 am

Prince is gradually getting painted up. Once that is complete I'll need to add a few details (like the sandboxes, and the tender!) to complete.

I have also recently received the Mercian Models England kit, which contains nameplates for all six of the Festiniog England locos. I'm going to use the nameplates from that kit for my model of 'Prince', as they are better quality than the ones supplied with the Langley kit.

brianthesnail96

Postby brianthesnail96 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:45 am

Ahh, just great! Love it all. Good vid too! Wish I had a line that looked this good!

How well do you find the 009 stuff runs? Looks far better than my N gauge from that vid...

Curious Orange

Postby Curious Orange » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:57 pm

brianthesnail96 wrote:Ahh, just great! Love it all. Good vid too! Wish I had a line that looked this good!

How well do you find the 009 stuff runs? Looks far better than my N gauge from that vid...
Um, well there are lots of things that help - on the engine side there is running in the engines (half an hour continuous each way at a moderate speed), keeping the wheels clean and the gears oiled, or adding additional pick-ups if some wheels don't have them (like my ROCO diesel); then on the track side of things keeping it clean, putting jumper leads across rail joins, using an accessory switch to switch power when points are thrown (I use SEEP point motors with switching built in), and adding a track cleaner unit, are all things that help.

Over the years I have come to the conclusion that getting the track thoroughly reliable before you proceed with the more interesting/enjoyable bits of our hobby is key to good running.

Even so, some engines just run better than others.

brianthesnail96

Postby brianthesnail96 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:34 am

Hmm, cheers. I've just bought a ready built layout, so I hope the seller's trackwork is up to scratch!

Any tips on chassis to look for/ avoid, or does it tend to be luck of the draw?

thanks!

Curious Orange

Postby Curious Orange » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:14 pm

brianthesnail96 wrote:Hmm, cheers. I've just bought a ready built layout, so I hope the seller's trackwork is up to scratch!

Any tips on chassis to look for/ avoid, or does it tend to be luck of the draw?

thanks!

Old Eggerbahn chassis are quite unreliable, other than that its a bit pot luck I think. To be honest I don't regularly have running sessions so I'm not in a position to compare manufacturers.

Curious Orange

Postby Curious Orange » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:27 pm

A quick update on Prince. The only bit of the engine left to be painted and attached are the sandboxes. The rest of the engine is looking pretty good, especially now the handrails are on.

I'll take some photos once the sandboxes are on. Then I really must place an order for the new wheels for the tender, and start building that.

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:47 am

Good to hear the news CO. Really looking forward to see ing the pictures! Have you decided on the name yet?

Cheers

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

Curious Orange

Postby Curious Orange » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:58 pm

Infrontcat wrote:Good to hear the news CO. Really looking forward to see ing the pictures! Have you decided on the name yet?

Cheers

Tim

I figured "Prince" would be a pretty good name for Prince, Tim!! ...and the nameplates are already on.

:wink:

Seriously though I do have enough bits to model about four of the Ffestiniog England engines, and deciding which ones to do is rather a chore!!

Andrew

redline41190

Postby redline41190 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:35 am

Curious Orange wrote:
Seriously though I do have enough bits to model about four of the Ffestiniog England engines, and deciding which ones to do is rather a chore!!

Andrew

But I thought there were only four... :?

No.1 Princess, No.2 Prince, No.3 Palmerston, No.4 Welsh Pony, and... oops I guess there are five... No.5 Little Giant. Silly me! :P

Cant wait to see the pictures!

Jeremy

P.S. Ill make your decision a little easier, you definitely should do Welsh Pony, only because it was a different color! Blue!
There are two ways to do things... The Great Western way, and the wrong way.

Curious Orange

Postby Curious Orange » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:51 pm

redline41190 wrote:
Curious Orange wrote:

Andrew

But I thought there were only four... :?

No.1 Princess, No.2 Prince, No.3 Palmerston, No.4 Welsh Pony, and... oops I guess there are five... No.5 Little Giant. Silly me! :P

Cant wait to see the pictures!

Jeremy

P.S. Ill make your decision a little easier, you definitely should do Welsh Pony, only because it was a different color! Blue!

Not quite right there - there were SIX England engines. The original four were:
1) Princess
2) Prince
3) Mountaineer (scrapped very early on)
4) Palmerston

A few years later two larger Englands were delivered (bigger wheels, cylinders and boilers made them a few inches longer than the original engines) and they were:
5) Welsh Pony
6) Little Giant (scrapped)

... and yes I am going to build Welsh Pony, probably from the Mercian kit that I have. Though this doesn't have anything to do with the colour, more to do with the fact it became a familiar sight to me over the years it stood on a plinth outside Harbour Station.

redline41190

Postby redline41190 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:44 am

Not quite right there - there were SIX England engines. The original four were:
1) Princess
2) Prince
3) Mountaineer (scrapped very early on)
4) Palmerston
*snip*
... and yes I am going to build Welsh Pony, probably from the Mercian kit that I have. Though this doesn't have anything to do with the colour, more to do with the fact it became a familiar sight to me over the years it stood on a plinth outside Harbour Station.

I completely forgot about Mountaineer :oops: ( as Im quite used to the ALCO loco they now have named Mountaineer :P) I cant wait to see what else you complete!

Cheers!

Jeremy
There are two ways to do things... The Great Western way, and the wrong way.

Curious Orange

Postby Curious Orange » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:46 pm

Prince is finished!! ... okay, still needs lining, crew and a tender... but nevertheless it is now busy doing circuits of some old Egger-bahn track to run it in.

I'll have to get the camera and tripod out later methinks!!

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:48 pm

Excellent news CO!

Look forward to the pictures later!

Tim

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

Curious Orange

Postby Curious Orange » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:43 pm

Okay, some quick pictures taken with the video camera. I've also had the SLR trained in Prince's direction but the film is yet to be processed!!

And, just for Infrontcat, a shot of that little green engine he liked - with a nice sepia effect applied by the image shrinking tool I used.

P.S. if you are wondering how Prince is sporting a tender, its just the one off of the original model that I slapped a quick couple of coats of paint on!!

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:44 am

Cheers for the sepia shot CO. Looks lovely ;) Price looks a very handsome beast too. Excellent job mate! :)

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”