Moel Eilio - OO9

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
santene

Postby santene » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:09 pm

how are the kadde couplings are they easy to fit. do they couple well do they look good do the magnets work good? whats the price? lol ino its a lot of questions but i might convert my locos and stock before it gets to be a big collection
proud modeller jake also known as Duke Jake the Bewildered of Mousehole by Sea :D

anyone got n gauge track i can buy

Curious Orange

Postby Curious Orange » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:07 pm

santene wrote:how are the kadde couplings are they easy to fit. do they couple well do they look good do the magnets work good? whats the price? lol ino its a lot of questions but i might convert my locos and stock before it gets to be a big collection

The Greenwich couplings are straightforward to make up from the brass fret, all you really need is a pair of flat-nosed pliers to bend them up with. They are no more difficult to fit than the Bemo style couplings I'd previously used, in fact the principle of the coupling is exactly the same (so you can use them in combination) except that the Greenwich ones are more discreet and should allow closer coupling of stock. The only trouble I had with the one coupling I've made so far is that the loop got pulled back too far and then couldn't return to its normal down position (through the magic of gravity) after it had passed over the magnet - I solved this by putting a small shim of plastic behind the loop to prevent it going back too far - though if I'd mounted the coupling 0.5mm further back into the bogie this wouldn't have been an issue as the bogie frame would have performed exactly the same job. I've experienced no real problems with the magnets, you just have to watch where you stop as there is a slight tendency to attract steel axles - I'm not sure whether this could be alleviated by using electro-magnets (and I'm not going to try on this layout).

Krislights, yes the signal will be motorised, and I've already bought several PECO point motor odds and sods to do it. It'll maybe happen in a couple of weeks time...

EDIT: P.S. Greenwich also do a tool for setting coupling heights - very useful imho.

Curious Orange

Re: Moel Eilio - OO9

Postby Curious Orange » Sat May 10, 2008 10:32 am

Seems a while since I last posted, and to be honest I haven't really done much. I've just been working on a rake of three Ffestiniog Quarryman Coaches from Parkside Dundas. They have been sitting around in my kits box for ages and I figured they'd probably be quite suitable for the rather short platform on the layout. Anyway, so far I have pre-painted the window frames, and then glazed them - this reduces the chance of getting paint on the glazing later - and constructed the basic shells (floors, ends, sides). The next job is to fit the solebars and make sure the wheelsets go in level.

engineer dave

Postby engineer dave » Tue May 13, 2008 5:01 pm

Nice model. I love the authentic backscene, and I really like the slate fence. Looks very realistic. I'm gonna steal your idea and try the same on my layout (although such details are still along way off for me!)

Keep it up.
PS, the locos are beautiful
My N Gauge Quarry Layout - Trecarreg viewtopic.php?t=14555

Money Talks.....It mostly says "Goodbye!"

Curious Orange

Postby Curious Orange » Thu May 22, 2008 11:21 pm

Well, all three Quarryman coaches are now runners, and have their brake gear in place. Two of them are also weighted and have had door handles attached (novel use of chain links!), and the other one will follow soon.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”