Moel Eilio - OO9

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Curious Orange

Moel Eilio - OO9

Postby Curious Orange » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:35 pm

I have been working on a Welsh Highland Railway themed 00-9 layout for a few years now. It was always intended as a bit of a test bed for trying out new things. So the points are motorised via a Capacitor Discharge Unit, and a track cleaner unit is also employed. I am gradually detailing bits of the layout, but tend to get distracted by things like building stock, watching TV, or going to the football, so progress is slow.

Here are a few photos:

Last edited by Curious Orange on Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:45 pm

Excellent stuff Mr Orange

Nice to see another 009 layout. Looks like you've been hard at work on it, however slow you think your progress!

Cheers

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

TomWebber

Postby TomWebber » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:58 pm

Great looking layout - you've progressed quite a way with it! I love the slate fencing - give it an authentic atmosphere.

Interesting choice of of name, moel eilio - weave hill

Curious Orange

Postby Curious Orange » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:24 pm

TomWebber wrote:Great looking layout - you've progressed quite a way with it! I love the slate fencing - give it an authentic atmosphere.

Interesting choice of of name, moel eilio - weave hill

I didn't know the translation, but it is an actual place that WHR passes between Waunfawr and Rhyd Ddu. The backscene is made up of images of the "hill" in question that I found using Google.

TomWebber

Postby TomWebber » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:27 pm

I didn't know the translation, but it is an actual place that WHR passes between Waunfawr and Rhyd Ddu. The backscene is made up of images of the "hill" in question that I found using Google.

thats a great idea - it looks really good! :) The backscene actually looks like its part of the layout.

Curious Orange

Postby Curious Orange » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:52 pm

TomWebber wrote:

thats a great idea - it looks really good! :) The backscene actually looks like its part of the layout.

It is very easy to achieve too, as it is just a collage really. All you need is a colour printer, a pair of scissors, and some photomount adhesive. Then you carefully position some trees to hide the joins!!!

bunji

Postby bunji » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:38 pm

Excellent work! It's great to see another 009 layout on here. :D What loco is that in the first picture?

Curious Orange

Postby Curious Orange » Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:40 pm

bunji wrote:Excellent work! It's great to see another 009 layout on here. :D What loco is that in the first picture?

It is a GEM Baldwin 4-6-0, running on a Graham Farish chassis, which I built when I was a teenager. I'm rather fond of it as it is the first engine that I had a go at super-detailing. Though I wouldn't be happy with the finish now.

I do actually have a second Baldwin kit to build which will become the Welsh Highland's own '590', plus a Backwoods Hunslet 'Russell', a Meridian Baldwin Gas-Mechanical Tractor, and a Worsley Works Dick Kerr Petrol-Electric Tractor (one of their scratch-aid kits, no idea how I'm going to motorise it) all of which are awaiting attention. It may take some time before that lot gets finished!!!

Curious Orange

Postby Curious Orange » Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:12 pm

I paid a visit to my local branch of Antics this afternoon, just to browse you understand. Anyway, it turned out to be a dangerous thing to do as I ended up purchasing several packs of Woodlands Scenics "Bushes" material, a pot of light grey paint and a new brush for the Kerr Stuart diesel I'm working on, a PECO wheel cleaning kit, and a PECO electro-magnetic decoupler. Somehow, I think that one decoupler won't be enough for "hands-free" running of my line, so I think several more may need to be purchased, along with wire and push-to-make switches (though thinking about it I know where I can find some unused ones of those).

martin2345uk

Postby martin2345uk » Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:26 pm

Wow what's an electro magnetic decoupler?!

Curious Orange

Postby Curious Orange » Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:35 pm

martin2345uk wrote:Wow what's an electro magnetic decoupler?!

Its for un-coupling locos from stock (or stock from stock for that matter) - a metal bar that pokes up between the rails when a current is applied to the electro-magnet that it is sat in, if there is a coupling above it it gets pushed up too, thus uncoupling it.

I'll probably need to glue a little oblong of plasticard on top of the bar in order to ensure I always catch the BEMO couplings on my OO-9 stock though.

Could be interesting fitting the units, as there is rather a forest of wires under the layout!! :lol: And I've not used them before as I've always been happy to uncouple by hand.

Curious Orange

Postby Curious Orange » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:41 pm

I've been experimenting using paint.net to create nameplates for my single fairlie Gowrie, and also for my station building. I've been working on and off on the station for well over a year, it is scratch-built from card, based on the actual building at Tryfan Junction, and the model features window frames from a Worsley Works etching. Tonight I've added guttering, that needs painting and the name board added, then the building will finally be complete. I'll post a picture when its all done and in place.

Curious Orange

Postby Curious Orange » Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:30 pm

My new toy has arrived from Hattons:

http://www.ehattons.com/StockDetail.aspx?SID=21557

Yes, I know not WHR, but I also collect RTR HOe stock. I can't wait to see that little beauty running!!

Curious Orange

Postby Curious Orange » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:47 pm

I finished the Station Building this evening. It still needs to be stuck in place and properly bedded into the scenery, but I'm quite pleased with the finished results.

Curious Orange

Postby Curious Orange » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:00 pm

A little bit of progress. The station building has been fixed in place and blended into the scene by very carefully using some bushes and scatter material. I have also painted a little PECO bench and fixed that under one of the windows, and started to paint up some Dapol figures to populate the platform - I've dug out my Games Workshop acrylic paints for this little job!

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”