Lemington docks.... end to end

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
joshv8

Lemington docks.... end to end

Postby joshv8 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:10 pm

Well, after 2 years of constant busyness I have finally been able to commit to building an end to end layout. I looked at many options for what to model and truthfully felt frustrated there is too much I want to achieve and time and space will not permit it. I want to model valleys and viaducts and through stations and branch ends and industries and on and on. So I decided I will build modular end to end layouts that can be stored in a shelving system on the garage wall, out the way and easily setup for running sessions and joined together to allow a larger layout. This way I can model for the forseeable future when time permits and at no point will things become overwhelming. I can model areas I want to model one at a time.
Lemington roundy round was great and the kids loved it but the downside is it is so large and seems to spend more time propped up than being used as it is so bulky to move around.

I decided on a dockside layout that will consist of a through running line to a siding with access to the docks. The dockside track will be paved/ concreted so Im using up some of my code 100 here. The exposed running line and siding I have some code 75 on it's way from Kernow model rail centre. One of the only online sources I found with bullhead rail and points available.

So I knocked up some boards today, nothing special. 2 boards at 1200 long each so 2400 joined. So here is the basic plan and the boards.
20200904_154730_copy_800x600.jpg

20210108_113344_copy_800x600.jpg

There will be a long dockside service line with a crane, a tramp steamer in place that Im going to widen the hull of a 1/360 titanic and build something a bit like the S.S Robin. A tug will sit at the other end.

On a quick side story we took the kids to the rail museum on my birthday last week. During the 50s/ 60s before diesel power took over , Qld ordered a number of Beyer Garratts. One was restored to running condition in the early 1990's and my grandparents took me along on her maiden outing from Brisbane to Laidley which from memory was quite a few hours run each way. At one of the stations we stopped at my Grandfather took me down along side the locomotive and I remember being in awe of the sheer size of her and the massive driving wheels.
I was surprised to see the locomotive in the museum on loan from Queensland Rail, unfortunately once again needing restoration but fantastic to show her to my kids. Oliver sitting on the front and standing young William near those massive driving wheels.
Cheers,
Josh
20201228_112528_copy_800x600.jpg

20201228_110324_copy_800x600.jpg

Dublo

Re: Lemington docks.... end to end

Postby Dublo » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:46 pm

Welcome back Josh.
Aha Lemington Docks at last! I'm looking forward to this build.
Wow that Garratt is certainly magnificent I'm sure William and Oliver were suitably over awed.

Stainsacre

Postby Stainsacre » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:48 pm

Sounds a sensible approach, how long is the track expected to take to arrive?

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:43 pm

Looking forward to following your progress on this.
The layout looks to be a similar size to 'Robinson Road Goods Depot' I am building at the moment.
A dockside/quay layout was one of the options I considered along with the goods depot and engine shed layouts.
I don't really have an interest in boats so it was always going to be 3rd choice.

Pete (RailwayRobbo)

manna

Postby manna » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:24 pm

G'Day Gents

Nice, like a good 'Dockside' layout, For the Importation of Coconuts, I take it.

Love the Garratts, used to follow and photograph them on The SAR back in the 60's.
Attachments
Garrett 402 at Peterborough 1969.jpg
402 heads to Broken Hill 1969.jpg
402 heads to Broken Hill 1969.jpg (76.84 KiB) Viewed 396 times
400 at Peterborough 1969.jpg
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:43 pm

Thanks for the comments guys!

Dublo you are right, it has been a long time coming. Im looking foward to a positive year as 2020 sucked quite honestly. I am moving through this alongside a couple of other pet projects, one being a Millennium Falcon build I have had sitting in a box for years and the other is my building a 1928 chevrolet into a vintage boat tail race car ... like a brooklands speedster.

Stainsacre I had the points arrive but have been notified the bullhead flex track is on back order... quite sure the website showed in stock when I ordered. Anyway, I can start sizing up the code 100 for the paved areas as the code 75 points can be mocked up in their positions. Theyre a work of art for off the shelf points.
20210119_054738_copy_600x800.jpg

Pete I cant say I have an overly huge interest in boats either or ship modelling but I do like the old steamers. I will have to look in on Robinson Road Goods Depot.

Manna those photos of the Garrats are brilliant! Thanks for sharing them!

Ive got a job through the shed tomorrow but once thats out the way I hope for a little time on this project at some point in the next few days. I am going to start assembling the tug and steamer models and want to get some track down.

Slightly off the railway modelling but for those interested I did manage some modelling/ diorama building late last year although these were done as gifts for family members. An Airfix B17 and an eduard P51-D.
Cheers,
Josh
20201122_160613_copy_800x600.jpg

20201122_161410_copy_800x600.jpg

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:39 am

Hi Josh, your plans for a modular layout sound great - like you say it allows small manageable sections to be built in isolation, but then joined up together when you feel like it :D.

Will you motorize the crane? I've just started playing with an arduino and servos which could achieve up/down and swivel quite easily . . .

P.S. I love Garratts too - here is one on the Welsh Highland Railway (shipped to the UK from South Africa, though originally built here of course at Beyer Peacock in Manchester)

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:23 pm

PinkNosedPenguin wrote:Hi Josh, your plans for a modular layout sound great - like you say it allows small manageable sections to be built in isolation, but then joined up together when you feel like it :D.

Will you motorize the crane? I've just started playing with an arduino and servos which could achieve up/down and swivel quite easily . . .

P.S. I love Garratts too - here is one on the Welsh Highland Railway (shipped to the UK from South Africa, though originally built here of course at Beyer Peacock in Manchester)

Thanks for the photos! I had not seen a narrow gauge Garratt before. And it is amazing how many items get shipped overseas only to find their way back home. .

I had not considered motorising the crane. My plans were to start with the basic airfix crane and modify it. While the design is prototypical it seems to be rarely seen in real world use, compared to the often seen Stothert and Pitt cranes. I would be interested hearing, if you have time to share with us, more on the arduino and servos.

So after contacting Kernow model rail center they advised me that they do not know when they will have Bullhead rail back in stock and have refunded me. They have been great to deal with, I can't speak highly enough of the service I received.
Through ebay a seller has popped up with the bullhead rail in stock here in Aus so I have ordered 10 lengths through them.
Cheers,
Josh

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:31 pm

Info on my arduino and servos on my workbench thread here https://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=52217&start=300#p689675 - it's a work in progress...

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”