Twickenham MRC's ADDISON ROAD - Kensington Olympia set in the 1920's

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
TEAMYAKIMA

Twickenham MRC's ADDISON ROAD - Kensington Olympia set in the 1920's

Post by TEAMYAKIMA »

This is basically a thread telling you about Twickenham MRC's ambitious 7mm layout - ADDISON ROAD, but please look at our DEC 28th 2020 posting for exciting news from Twickenham MRC.

ADDISON ROAD is an accurate model based on the real station which is now better known at KENSINGTON OLYMPIA.

ADDISON ROAD has been about 15 years in construction and is now about 99% complete.

ADDISON ROAD is appearing at a virtual model railway exhibition this weekend JULY 4th/5th.

FULL details of this event which is ONLY available for limited times (just like a REAL exhibition!!) can be found here ...

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index ... july-2020/

Now that the layout is 'virtually' complete the small group who have built it are looking to expand the team in order to take it around the country once REAL exhibitions are back. If YOU would like to be part of that team why not contact our club chairman and arrange to come down and see the layout 'in the flesh' once our clubrooms are open again. Contact Paul Raven-Hill at

chairman.tdmrc@gmail.com
Last edited by TEAMYAKIMA on Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.
flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Re: ADDISON ROAD - KENSINGTON OLYMPIA SET IN THE 1920'S IN 7MM

Post by flying scotsman123 »

Ooh, one of my favourite layouts about at the moment! Twickenham is a bit far for me, but I look forward to seeing this at an exhibition one day, when things are back to normal. :)
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.
TEAMYAKIMA

Post by TEAMYAKIMA »

flying scotsman123 wrote:Ooh, one of my favourite layouts about at the moment! Twickenham is a bit far for me, but I look forward to seeing this at an exhibition one day, when things are back to normal. :)
Twickenham too far ???? :o

Just to say that the group has members in Germany, Malta and Chicago!

Ok, I grant you that we don't see any of them in the clubroom on a regular basis, but the guy from Chicago does build things for the layout and sends them over and he did come over to operate the layout when we were at the Gauge O Guild event in Telford a while back.

The guy in Germany just supports the group with his (reduced) subscription but does try to visit when we're at a show.

The layout is now at the stage where the group want to take it around the country, but finding a crew can be the biggest issue and so the group welcomes anyone who likes operating at shows - you don't even have to model 'O' !!
TEAMYAKIMA

Post by TEAMYAKIMA »

Here is a photo of one end of ADDISON ROAD at Aly Paly a few years back. It's just a snap I took and shows about half the length of the layout. There is far more detail on the platforms etc now than in this photo. Sorry it's a bit dark, but I think you can get a flavour of the layout......

TEAMYAKIMA

Post by TEAMYAKIMA »

Here's another view - this time with a steam loco in the picture! Photo by courtesy of Richard Harris - and 'YES' that is an elephant on the platform!

TEAMYAKIMA

Post by TEAMYAKIMA »

I have just visited the virtual exhibition and discovered that there is a FANTASTIC video of ADDISON ROAD in action at GUILDEX in Telford in 2019 - it has been produced by Steve Pritchard and many thanks to him for allowing its use at the virtual exhibition.
TEAMYAKIMA

Re: Twickenham MRC's ADDISON ROAD - Kensington Olympia set in the 1920'S IN 7MM

Post by TEAMYAKIMA »

The BIG news from Twickenham & District MRC at the moment is not actually about ADDISON ROAD, it's about the club itself and how it's fighting back against the restrictions that have closed our clubrooms.

All clubs are suffering from inactivity at the moment, but Twickenham MRC are coming up with new ways to keep our membership informed and entertained. The various club groups have tended to develop their own newsletters over the last few years, but in December we launched a new CLUB monthly magazine to reach into every nook and cranny of club life in order to bond the club together and promote the club's motto : 'THINK CLUB!'

There are quizes and cartoons and biographies of new members as well as the usual 'club news' from the committee and project leaders. The new newsletter/magazine re-uses our old newsletter name 'Single Line Working' and is sent out as an pdf attachment to all club members,

BREAKING NEWS : The club is now offering a FREE trial subscription of our new club magazine to any interested party or potential member. TBH it's in effect almost a free trial membership of T&DMRC and it will run until a special OPEN EVENING to be held soon after the clubroom re-opens - hopefully in the summer. There is more to club life than just building layouts and the idea is that interested parties can learn about the club and its members and gain a flavour of what the club has to offer before coming down and meeting us in person at our open evening.

To receive a free subscription to Single Line Working please email chairman.tdmrc@gmail.com

Hoping to hear from you soon.
Admin4

Re: Twickenham MRC's ADDISON ROAD - Kensington Olympia set in the 1920's

Post by Admin4 »

Sounds like a great idea, I am far too far away to be thought of as a potential member, but if a Club close to me had some sort of scheme like it I would be interested. My local Club appears more like a secret society, than a friendly welcoming gang of like minded people.
TEAMYAKIMA

Post by TEAMYAKIMA »

Hello Dave

You live too far away?

I live in Watford and we have members in Germany, Malta and Chicago!

Seriously, I used to live close to Twickenham and moved away and that's the same with Nick who moved to Malta, but John (Chicago) and Chris (Germany) both joined as Country Members - whilst living out of the country!
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Travelling and distance tend to be a state of mind, until the time comes ....
I'd love to drive on this layout at an exhibition, but now acknowledge the factor of time.

Travel to exhibitions is something I used to do with the IPMS(UK), Brussels & Berlin being
destinations I did a few times. The group I started had members in at least 14 countries.
I have great memories of an evening meal with friends from France, Norway, Finland &
Sweden. In the end travel became too much of a strain, physically as much as financial.

So unfortunately you fall well outside my current 50 mile radius of operation. I might
otherwise once have brought some wagons .....

Geoff T.
TEAMYAKIMA

Post by TEAMYAKIMA »

We have had many requests for our FREE club monthly magazine offer - including from Arizona, Norway and Aberdeen!

W£ell, we do call ourselves Twickenham & District MRC!
TEAMYAKIMA

Post by TEAMYAKIMA »

Twickenham & District MRC is alive and well and hosting its first ZOOM meeting tonight (feb 26th) - an illustrated talk on an ex-member's 0-16.5 exhibition layout.

If you hurry, you can probably sign up to our FREE trial membership offer in time to join the meeting - don't leave it too late!