Heritage line shunting plank

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Ken Shabby

Heritage line shunting plank

Postby Ken Shabby » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:52 pm

Afternoon,
All being well you should see a photo of my latest project, which measures 179cm by 31cm and is designed to stand on end when not in use so that it does not take up too much room in the loft bedroom.
It inspired by the Rev Heath's piano line layout , and is intended to be a small station on a heritage line which is in the early stages of buying the next section of track bed in order to extend the line. This is a good excuse not to have a run round, as it's just a temporary terminus.
Trains will be either a 121 DMU or a small tank engine pulling or propelling up to 2 Bachmann MK1 suburban coaches , or one quiet days a tank engine and 2 brake vans.. The track plan is not finalised yet , but will basically see the train appear from the fiddle yard under a bridge and either pull into the platform or the sidings.
At the buffers will be a fence and back scene depicting the disused and overgrown track bed the railway are attempting to purchase.
A proper track plan will follow shortly;
I hope you are all keeping well,
Ken

preservation741.jpg

glencairn

Re: Heritage line shunting plank

Postby glencairn » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:58 pm

An interesting looking project, Ken.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought

Ken Shabby

Postby Ken Shabby » Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:14 pm

This rather amateur and not to scale sketch should hopefully give you idea of how the station will look.
The platform will be a piece of polystyrene topped with thin hardboard, the over bridge at the buffers and station building are both Hornby and the small signal box is a Wills Finecast kit. Hopefully this will be a fairly low cost project, the only items being bought new are the points and point motors.
Ken

artistshahaimpression.jpg

Ken Shabby

Postby Ken Shabby » Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:26 pm

Work has started on the over bridge which will cover the entrance to the fiddle yard. This is just a mock up to try and obtain a reasonable fit. As you can see there is still some way to go.
bridgemockup.jpg

Here's a track plan.
trackplan3.jpg

Ken Shabby

Postby Ken Shabby » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:20 pm

A couple of sets of points I needed arrived this morning, so I have roughly laid out the track plan on the board. I have a few unused lengths of flexi track which I'll be using instead of the short straights which you can see in the photo.
The platform surface has been glued down and the positions of the bridge at the end of the platform and waiting shelter have been tested.
The fiddle yard is a little tighter than I'd hoped, but this shouldn't be a problem as trains will be quite short.
fromabove.jpg

fidyd.jpg
jintsub.jpg

This is what a typical train will look like, the Jinty is a very old Triang body running on a very late (circa 1980 ) Hornby Triang Pannier chassis which has fine wheel flanges. The lettering was done with a set of stickers which up until recently were available on eBay.

presstn.jpg

The cut down Hornby shelter. The bridge at the other end of the layout where the fiddle yard is will need to be scratch built.
Ken

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:19 pm

The 'graffiti' at the bridge is unique, Ken. :lol:

Glencairn

Ken Shabby

Postby Ken Shabby » Thu May 14, 2020 3:21 pm

Track laying has now started, there have been a few alterations to the plan, the main one being the fiddle yard will only be one track. Instead I'll be making use of a Peco loco lift I bought cheaply a few years back. The majority of the trains I'll be running will fit onto to it.
tracklayingstarts.jpg

This now means there are only 3 ponts, on the layout. The holes have been cut in the baseboard for the motors and 2 of the points now have motors and wiring fitted. I 'm currently awaiting the arrival of a 3rd point motor. This is the part I find the least enjoyable, but I hope to have all the track down and thoroughly tested within the next few weeks.
06gaugingtrain.jpg

My son's 06 shunter was used to check the platform clearances due to it's wide buffer beams and footplate. It was the first loco to run on the layout, powered by a 9V battery held against the rails.

Ken

Ken Shabby

Postby Ken Shabby » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:02 pm

I went no further with this layout, and it was dismantled this morning. It had stood on end in the dining room untouched for 2 months , my wife had been really decent about it and not moaned, but I became sick of the site of it.
The layout was designed to be stored in the loft and brought downstairs when I wanted to work on it or operate it. However, It soon became clear that although this was possible , it was cumbersome and once the scenery was added it would be easily damaged. I could see that there was a distinct possibility that once it was complete it would see little use and just gather dust.
My main layout is about 50% complete and I feel my time would be better spent completing this, as progress on it has been deathly slow for the past few years.

Ken

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:15 pm

Ken Shabby wrote:I went no further with this layout, and it was dismantled this morning. It had stood on end in the dining room untouched for 2 months , my wife had been really decent about it and not moaned, but I became sick of the site of it.
The layout was designed to be stored in the loft and brought downstairs when I wanted to work on it or operate it. However, It soon became clear that although this was possible , it was cumbersome and once the scenery was added it would be easily damaged. I could see that there was a distinct possibility that once it was complete it would see little use and just gather dust.
My main layout is about 50% complete and I feel my time would be better spent completing this, as progress on it has been deathly slow for the past few years.

Ken

I understand your challenge, Ken. Once scenery is added it does become difficult.

I was more fortunate on a previous layout by building a one on an ironing board. The buildings had to be put away then the board could fold up and put in the corner of a bedroom.

Glencairn

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:27 pm

Hi Ken,

At least you were able to spend some time 'dreaming' and constructing something.
When I think it was going to be ultra portable the height of back scene became a killer.
For ultra portable little more than 100 mm needs to be the thing. Leave the rest to imagination.

I'm always asking myself what's it for ? If it's just to look, at small dioramas fills the bill and with
the small size a great deal of effort can go into the scenic elements and still only take a few
weeks to complete.
For driving the compact shunting puzzle is ideal. Because you have to think of what has to go
where, the driving can keep the brain working. Not like the small roundy that takes loads of
space and driving can be mind bogglingly boring.

So what's next ?

Geoff T
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”