New N gauge roundy roundy :D

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Memran

Re: New N gauge roundy roundy :D

Postby Memran » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:16 pm

Thanks Glencairn :)

I've installed one "Hex Frog Juicer", and so far I've powered 4 frogs with it, including the trouble point mentioned earlier. Now the trains pass over with no difficulties. Even my little 0-6-0 Jinty has no problems! :D

Where there are problems are on the Insulfrog slips. I think that the two rails on the frog are so close that some loco's wheels are bridging across, and creating a spark. Usually the trains go by with a small judder, but if going very slowly, the short is tripping the power. I thought the whole point of insulfrog was to insulate the rails from each other! :( I don't really want to have to swap them for electrofrog, because until now, I have been able to use all of my existing track and haven't needed to buy anything on this build...

I do have 2 electrofrog double slips, but this layout needs 3 singles slips and one double. I'm not going to swap a single for a double, because singles act just like a crossover and slip, whereas the double slips are always one route only.

Grr frustrating!

Memran

Postby Memran » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:29 pm

Tiny change to the plan again. I've altered the part near where the turntable will go:

This gives me a run-around loop in addition to direct access to the turntable.

I had a bit of a running session to day to test everything, and it all seems to flow nicely.

However, my Dapol class 56 died! :(

I have had it for about five years. Until today it has been working perfectly on DCC (DCC Concepts Zen chip), but today it stopped and shorted out my layout, some spoke escaped from it too!

I think the small PCB is fried, and it also fried the Zen chip. (I tested it in another loco, and the other loco's chip in the 56 to be sure). Strangely it still runs perfectly on DC.

Hopefully DCC Supplies will be able to repair it.

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:48 am

This layout has sprung up without me noticing it :D. Looking very good so far . . .

Memran wrote:However, my Dapol class 56 died! :(

I have had it for about five years. Until today it has been working perfectly on DCC (DCC Concepts Zen chip), but today it stopped and shorted out my layout, some spoke escaped from it too!

I think the small PCB is fried, and it also fried the Zen chip. (I tested it in another loco, and the other loco's chip in the 56 to be sure). Strangely it still runs perfectly on DC.

Hopefully DCC Supplies will be able to repair it.

How annoying :twisted: - if it still runs on DC, presumably it's just the chip that fried? Though I guess you are scared to fit another one in case that fries too . . .?

Memran

Postby Memran » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:07 pm

No, I did try that. I tried the fried one in a good loco, and a good chip in the 56. :(

Memran

Postby Memran » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:05 pm

My turntable kit arrived!

I haven't got time to fit it yet, but I did do a dry assembly to test it. Here it is, perched on a spool of wire:

Obviously I need to paint it prior to final assembly, and of course, cutting a big hole in the baseboard... :shock:

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:10 pm

Memran wrote:My turntable kit arrived!

Obviously I need to paint it prior to final assembly, and of course, cutting a big hole in the baseboard... :shock:

Or raise the track up to it. I saw that done successfully a little while back.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought

Memran

Postby Memran » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:23 pm

Just a small update.

All points now have their frogs powered. This was a real chore to do, but now nothing is stalling on any point!

The turn table is in place, and wired. At the moment there are only 2 tracks leading to it, and they are not powered properly yet, but it's nice to get something going in that corner of the layout.

Maybe it doesn't show up, but the lights are on!

It looks a little odd with a diesel loco on there, so...

This is also my longest loco, and she fits! :D

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:58 pm

Memran wrote:All points now have their frogs powered. This was a real chore to do, but now nothing is stalling on any point!

Yes I found this essential in N gauge - good job :D

The turntable looks great, sunk into the baseboard (esp, with a steamer on it!) 8)

Memran

Postby Memran » Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:39 pm

Thanks! :)

I made a mistake. I overestimated the amount of space I had for the engine shed, which I wanted to put over the two sidings coming off the TT.

ImageImage

I'm not sure how this happened because, according to my Scarm plan, I should have been able to fit thee sidings in there!

Without the shed over them, it's going to look far too "tracky" in that area. Right now I'm thinking that I won't put those sidings there at all.

mahoganydog

Postby mahoganydog » Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:49 pm

Purely as a suggestion but why not get a couple of Peco inspection pits and do it as though there was a shed there but it has been demolished leaving just the foundations and the pits with track still in situ and used?
In a world of fences and doors who needs windows and gates?

heda

Postby heda » Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:53 pm

Can you perform surgery on the shed, trim a little off of one or both sides ?
Dave

Memran

Postby Memran » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:09 pm

That's certainly a worthy suggestion, thanks! :)

I was toying with the idea of opening up the other end of the shed, then having 2 tracks through it:
I have a spare 3 way point laying around here somewhere...

I think either way, adding the inspection pits makes sense in this area, whether or not I can squeeze the shed into position.

Memran

Postby Memran » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:12 pm

heda wrote:Can you perform surgery on the shed, trim a little off of one or both sides ?
Dave

I'm not sure my surgery skills are up to the task, but opening up both sides could work. Thanks!

Memran

Postby Memran » Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:10 pm

This solution seems okay to me :)

I'll probably replace those two tracks with Peco Inspection Pits, as suggested above.

Thanks for the ideas!

Memran

Postby Memran » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:16 pm

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”